The Document Some of Us Signed After Baptism

by cruzanheart 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

There was a thread a while back by someone who asked if anyone signed a document after they got baptised, and it jogged my memory. So I leafed through some of the old books and found the old yellow "Your Word Is A Lamp To My Foot." On the last is "A Record of Christian Baptism" (see below). This book came out in 1967 and I was baptised in 1965, so it was a little after the fact, but when I saw that page I remembered filling it out. I think that the wording of the vow is very interesting, as it mentions allegience to the organization as a "desire" and not a command.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Nina,

The print is still too small to read after clicked on. It would be an intresting read.

I was baptised in 1970 at the age of 16, but I can't remember the book I studied or if their was a "vow" page. I can't remember yesterday.

I DO remember that the baptismal group met in the library with ONE elder....and he conducted the questions like a Watchtower study. You CHOSE to raise your hand, and commented if you wanted to.That's all I remember.

Gumby

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Interesting. I never knew this exsisted.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Try it now. I cropped and tried to enlarge the page. In case you can't see it, here is the text:

RECORD OF CHRISTIAN BAPTISM

As one of Jehovah's Christian witnesses I appreciate that the holy Bible is the written Wrod of God and that it must be "a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway." (Ps. 119:105) I am firmly convinced that "Jehovah is righteous in all his ways," and it is my earnest desire to live in full harmony with his will as he has made it plain to his servants. (Ps. 145:17) For that reason I have dedicated myself without reservation to Jehovah God through Jesus Christ to be his possession and do his will both now and for all time to come.

I have carefully studied "Basic Teachings of the Bible" as set out in this book, [Name] CHRISTINA BIBBEE personally reviewed them with me to be sure that I understand them, and I am in full agreement with them. Now I want to go on growing in knowledge, because I believe what Jesus Christ said as recorded in John 17:3: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." It is also my desire to work closely with Jehovah's visible organization.

In accord with the example and commandment of our Lord Jesus Christ, on [Date] MAY 22, 1965 at [Place] ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA I was baptized in water. (Matt. 3:13-17; 28:19) I am now an ordained minister of Jehovah God and, with his blessing, I will have as full a share as possible in helping others to come to know him as the true God, that they too may love and serve him.

CHRISTINA BIBBEE [Personal signature]

WILLIAM C. BIBBEE [Congregation overseer]

FREDERIKSTED ENGLISH UNIT [Name of congregation]

10/20/67 [Date]

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Nina

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I never knew about that. I wonder why they stopped using it

• simplesally
    simplesally

Nina, did u live in Anaheim?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, I did! I lived at 318 N. Vine Street, Apt. D, a few blocks away from Disneyland. We could walk to the end of the street and see the fireworks at night during the summer. I think there was an East and West congregation -- my best friend Terry was in one and I was in the other. Are you in Anaheim?

Nina

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Nina,

Good post, I had forgotten about that old page.

I will offer good news and bad news.

1 GOODNEWS, No forms were distributed, collected not stored and Kingdom halls to document your baptism and (for a few) written contract with the WT Society. I hand written record of baptismal candidates was taken by the baptismal servant assigned for circuit assemblies and district conventions, but not distributed to the local congregations.

2 BADNEWS, A written contract is not neccesary in a religious commitment. Since 1985 anyone getting baptised as a JW was assumed to answer yes to the second question in the baptismal talk where you agreed you were putting yourself within and under the direction of the 'spirit directed Organization'. (anyone baptised before that date are legally bound to that commitment by their continued association).

It all makes me wonder when the issue of "Informed Consent" will be legally addressed in court regarding commitment to religious institutions.

Steve

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    (anyone baptised before that date are legally bound to that commitment by their continued association).

Aye, there's the rub.

An excellent point Steve, and yet I would be interested in seeing that particular point ruled on by a court of law. I know that is the position the Society takes, and yet by the letter of the contract, the person in question pledged obedience to God, not Jehovah's Witnesses. A subtle, but potentially important difference.

Just because Jehovah's Witnesses, claim to be God's only channel to mankind, does not make it so. As I say, I would be interested to see legal precedent set on this issue.

• Loris
    Loris

What a small world! I was baptized in July, 1965. I lived in Huntington Beach then moved to Garden Grove. I used to take my kids to the street to the west of Disneyland in the summer so they could watch the fireworks.

I still have the Lamp book but I did not own it until after I was baptized.

Loris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit