Are we living in the LAST DAYS?

by Fisherman 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Do you know why they refer to them as "The Last Days"?

Because they last..........and they last...........and they last.............

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Paul writing to first century Christians says "…

(God) who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: in whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: for by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: and he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Col.1:13-17

Christ was made king in century one...post ascension.

The toes represented the Roman Empire

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

If as a JW you believe that there are "Last Days" then you should objectively analyze your own beliefs. Analyze why they keep going on and the end hasn't come after so many warnings of how close it was. That's when I decided to look into 1914. Once I saw why 1914 was wrong, it was very easy to understand why the last days just keep going and going. The beginning was wrong, so no doubt the end would be wrong. But as a JW you aren't allowed to do this work and then tell anyone. So you're stuck defending a belief that you didn't come up with, nor do you have the authority to change. You have to wait for time to change it for them. As time progresses I believe the Last days for JWs will be moved into the future and 1914 will be renamed as the beginning of pangs of distress. Time will tell.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Last days,,Last days,,Last days ..

And they keep on building,,building,,building,,,

• cofty
    cofty

Jesus believed he was living in the last days. He turned out to be a false prophet.

His modern disciples are just following his example. There has hardly been a generation in the last 2,000 years that Christians have not been predicting the imminent end.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Oh, Cofty, I really really like you a lot but you're silly sometimes.🙂

Why do you say Jesus believed he was living in the last days? Did you ask him?

He did correctly prophesy about the first-century attack on Jerusalem. But he was also talking about a future "last days" for religious institutions worldwide.

The JWborg version of "the last days" doctrine is a mixture of Paul's words in 2 Timothy 3 with certain parts of Revelation and the gospels, which, as with many JWdoctrines, is mixed up, taken out of context, and misleading.

Paul was talking about what the congregations would be like in all of Christendom, including like what we see in JWborg-land. "A form of godly devotion but proving false to its power." Paul wasn't talking about some kind of measuring stick of the world for a 1914-prophecy thing.

Jesus said there would be fakers doing false prophecy. Those fakers aren't following Jesus' footsteps - they are proof that he was telling the truth.

• cofty
    cofty

EP - It is undeniable that Jesus was just another 1st C. apocalyptic preacher - one of many, many others.

He chose to be baptised by an apocalyptic prophet and after his death his small band of disciples continued ot preach an apocalyptic message.

He told his disciples to abandon their wives, families and businesses and literally FOLLOW him preaching the imminent end of all things.

If you can't see that then you have clearly never read the gospels.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Hi Cofty.🙂 The reason I like you so much is because you are honest about you feel and clear. It is refreshing to me. Thank you. 🌷

"For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and whoever has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me."

Jesus was preaching in a time that in some ways is similar to what we've experienced in a JW KH. His "brothers and sisters" in the "faith" were following the doctrines of men instead of the clear teachings of love. He knew that they would suffer if they disregarded the Pharisaical teachings, like the man who was kicked out and shunned for being willing to recognize Jesus.

Jesus wasn't going around telling people to leave their families. He was acknowledging that it takes courage to stand up for what is right, and that when we take a stand for what is right, sometimes even people in our own family or community or social group give us a hard time.

We have to be willing to do the right thing even if we get opposition from our family members, even if they disfellowship us or shun us. That's what he was telling them. "Don't be surprised. If you do the right thing, it's gonna be difficult for you."

Jesus went to parties, drank wine, ate with friends, sang songs. He went on hikes and fished. He said "as you go, preach". A first century housewife could talk about good things at the well while fetching water. The guys in the field could talk while working. Jesus knew he only had a little time on earth to train Peter and John and Matthew those guys, so he asked them to put certain things on hold for a little while, but it wasn't at the cost of their families. He knew their situations and he didn't ask them to do anything that would be too much for them. He was able to provide food for them when they needed it.

That Jesus expected Christians to work for their keep and provide for their families is clear in the gospels and in Paul's writings. Jesus gave illustrations about working diligently. It wasn't just about "the ministry". Most of Jesus' work was providing for and caring for poor people in a physical way. He only taught them after he fed and healed them. Jesus communicated with Paul; they were on the same page. Christians are not expected to live off somebody else's "donations" - they are expected to work to take care of their families first. "The one who doesn't take care of his family is worse than one who disowns the faith."

What the JWborg teaches regarding sacrificing family on the "altar" in order to do "ministry" is contrary to Christ's teachings. The JWborg does just like the Pharisaical corban teaching: "They have made the word of God invalid by their traditions." The JWborg leaders want slaves to work for them and sacrifice their families to do it. They are horrid.

Jesus said to stay away from the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes we’re definitely living in the last days I have little doubt about this. Humans won’t be around much longer the way things are doing, I don’t think. Not unless there is a God, or aliens, or something else that will save us. To quantify that a bit more, I think there’s a reasonable chance there’ll be an extinction, or near extinction event sometime this century, probably even by 2050, whether by nuclear war, artificial intelligence, or something else.

Two good books by academics on the topic: The Precipice by Toby Ord, and Our Final Century by Martin Rees.

• cofty
    cofty

EP - You are reading thing back into the gospels that cannot be honestly read out of them.

Jesus was a failed apocalyptic prophet. He started as a disciple of John the Baptist and went on to develop his own following. Just like every failed prophecy since, his followers found new ways to interpret his prognostications in order to maintain their beliefs.

He absolutely did drag men away from their wives and families to preach his deluded ravings. 'We have left wives etc etc for you'. He was a dangerous egomaniac but probably sincere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit