UN sends reply to my inquiry about WTS NGO association- proof at last!

by joe_from_kokomo 55 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Dear Friends:

It's been a while since I posted last, even though I probably still suffer with a Newbie status, I did some dandy postings a few months back. My wife and I are now approaching the 1 year anniversary of our split with the WTBTS, and are quite happy with our decision.

One thing we did last year was to write to the U.N directly (I think I got the address from a posting here on this site) and asked specific and direct questions about the WTS's involvement and knowledge of NGO requirements. At that time, we had in hand the TIF files that are copies of other people's letters from the UN, but it was not "real proof" in our minds, since as anyone knows, you can take a copy of anything and change it with Photoshop to look like something else, with just some time and creativity.

Here is the body of our letter to the UN, which I don't mind sharing with you. We sent it on May 31st, 2003:

...We would appreciate if you could take a moment to answer a few important questions for us about this matter. We apologize in advance, as we are aware that you must have by now answered these same questions to many others, time and time again, but it is important to us to see this in print from your organization for verification that the information we have been given is correct.

Here are the questions we would like you to address in a written reply, please. We have enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope to help defray some of the cost for you.

Questions about the Watchtower's NGO participation:

1. Is it true that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., or any of its Watchtower affiliate corporations, were affiliated as a United Nations NGO (Non Governmental Organization) between 1992 and 2001?

2. Is it true that there are specific requirements that an NGO must meet to qualify as an NGO, or to continue to qualify as an NGO? Can you provide us with a copy of those NGO qualifications?

3. Is it possible, as the Watchtower Society alleges, that they became a UN NGO solely to obtain a library card, or to access your libraries or archives? Or, better put, does an organization need to become an NGO to obtain library and/or archive access? Please explain, if possible.

4. Is it true that the Watchtower Society terminated its association from the UN as an NGO in 2001? Please provide any details you may have about the reason for their termination.

We thank you in advance for your time and effort in answering these questions, as this information means a great deal to my family.

So, being ever the skeptics, we sent in our letter along with a SASE for return reply. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. And finally, we gave up. 3 or 4 months had gone by with not a word from the folks at the UN. We finally decided that we were just not going to get a reply to our letter - that they were probably swamped with too many similar requests. Well, we were half right.

In today's mailbox was a letter from the U.N., New York, NY. I almost fainted. I knew right away what it would say, but waited hours to open it, for some reason. Maybe I did not really want to know the truth as badly as I used to. Perhaps I had stopped giving a damn anyway. I had not posted here for weeks, and did not feel the need to think about the WTS or share my feelings anymore, really, with anyone. Opening the letter was like picking a big scab off of an old wound, now nearly healed. Yes, this was the hesitation - not wanting to reopen that wound.

But, finally, my curiousity got the best of me and I carefully opened and read the letter. There it was. Yes, I have my own letter that clearly and specifically states that the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society "was associated with the Department of Public Information in 1992 and requested to be disassociated in 2001." It went on to explain in two long paragraphs the specific details involved with being and maintaining NGO membership. Then it closed with this paragraph, which I will gladly share with you, as many of you are now wanting to know more about this - the truth about this dreadful hypocrisy. It says:

"I expect that you will share this information with your concerned colleagues as we are unable to address the scores of duplicate requests regarding the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society that are being directed to our offices. Than you for your interest in the work of the United Nations."

It was signed by Isolda S. Oca, Information Officer, NGO Section, Dept. of Public Information.

I note that they did not touch on question #3, which may have been too controversial for them.

Friends, I am not making this up. I had stopped posting until I got this letter today, as other interests are now reshaping our lives and the healing process is well on its way. But, I felt it important to share this with those of you who did not get a reply, who never thought to even write the UN for one, or who will wait, as we did, 7 1/2 months or more... or maybe indefinitely.

The story is TRUE. Some, like my sister-in-law, still in "the Truth", will probably still doubt even a clear Xerox of the letter with my name on it. They'll think I made it with Photoshop somehow. But, I can assure you the letter I have is a real one, with a real UN letterhead on it.

Yes, "the truth will set you free". We now feel ever more relieved, even vindicated, knowing that the stance we took, which caused us so much stress, sadness, grief, and now months later, great loneliness, was a stand for the truth. And we know that the Jehovah we learned to worship will stand by those who stand for the truth, and tolerate no hypocrisy, no wickedness and no lies.

We hope that by sharing this with those of you still searching, we can help you to know what to do, too.

Take care.

Joe From Kokomo.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Hi joe,

Thx for sharing that information with us.

It sound slike you got a few good detailed paragraphs that may not have been printed previously in other letteres.

Is it possible that you would scan the letter [minus personal information if you need] and post it for us?

Good luck on you and your wife rebuilding your life together. I'm happy that things are moving FWD for the two of you.

Best,

Paul [Winston.]

• sf
    sf

Thanks for sharing. Is there ANY way you can scan the actual letter and post it?

{{wishing you well on the road to recovery}}

sKally

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

Congrats on getting what you were looking for! I too wrote (it was an email in my case) to the UN when I first found out about the WTS being an NGO since I didn't fully believe the copies of letters I saw. I waited a couple of months before I got a reply, and I had given up hope, but then I got a reply, saying pretty much what they said to you.

• searcher
    searcher

Just goes to prove that 'apostates' dont need to make up or forge anything about the WT, the truth is more damning than anything that could be 'invented'.

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

Welcome back Joe_from_Kokomo!!!

I remember your name from a while back, when I had first started posting. I am glad you got an answer from the UN regarding your questions about the WTBS. I haven't done much personal research on that subject myself, just that I have read lots of posts here about it. And I have been really disheartened by it all, I'm sure you know the feeling...

It just shows that no one is infallable and that they have a lot of nerve to print "destruction and devastation of Babylon the Great, that prostitute who rode the wild beast to her destruction"

I hope this letter will confirm your convictions and help you to heal and move on. I have a lot of healing to do and not sure at this moment of what to do about moving on. (Not sure whether to send in my DA letter and play by their rules). I just try to take it one day at a time.

This issue with the UN really upset me and I think it is very hypocritical on their part to criticize as they do so many other religions and claim that only they have the truth.

Thanks for sharing the letter with us,
    eisenstein

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Here is the actual copy of the letter with my last name removed from the salutation and my full name and address cropped off the bottom. I tried to keep the resolution and image quality as good as possible, as some of the copies online are not too clear. Please note that there is a typo in the date - the actual date should read 2004, not 2003 (guess this person has not made the mental switchover yet, a common malady). I will also try to post seperately the envelope, so you can see that this bears the UN postmark and this week's date.

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Hmmm.. that did not work. I'll try again. Must be doing something wrong.

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Double Hmm... Can anyone share the exact steps to post a JPG file to this web board? Attach files did not work for me.

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

Hi Joe,

I think if you have WindowsXP you can just use the insert picture from web link directly from your
    C: drive and then click on the refresh button?

I'm not sure haven't posted a pic in a while...

eisenstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit