Wealth, Poverty, and Morality

by SecondRateMind 226 Replies latest jw friends

• never a jw
    never a jw

"Something's wrong"

Yes a moral problem of epic proportion. No, not the rich wanting more

In African, near Eastern and Latin American countries the greatest problem is corruption from the bottom to the top. Fix that and you fix a great deal of poverty. But how do you fix that???

I know about corruption in Latin America because I lived there and participated in corruption as much as the next. Corruption is deeply rooted. Everyone takes shortcuts because... well... everyone does it. Corruption is the main cause of the great gap between the rich and the poor. Talent comes second.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    cofty - "So, SRM is holding up Jesus as the source of goodness - the same Jesus who, according to SRM, will torment those who remain unconvinced about his goodness in the fires of Hell for all eternity."

Classic.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    The people responsible for the poor are:
    1. poor people themselves

I assure you, LoveUniHateExams, that though there may be some poor people who are responsible for their own state, the vast majority of the two billion absolutely poor are that poor because of their circumstances, rather than any moral vice. They are born disadvantaged, go through life disadvantaged, and die (often enough, prematurely) disadvantaged. No one wants this for themselves and their families, and no one tolerates it if they have the slightest capacity to end their disadvantage. I just think we should help them out, right up to the point where we would become equally disadvantaged, if we gave any more.

Best wishes, 2RM

• cofty
    cofty
    I just think we should help them out, right up to the point where we would become equally disadvantaged, if we gave any more

No you don't 'just think' anything. You assert in the name of god almighty that rich people who don't follow your edicts will burn in Hell for eternity.

Stop hiding your hatred behind phoney politeness.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Vidiot: Classic.

Jesus came to save all us sinners from the inevitable consequences of our sin. And he loved us sinners enough to render up His life to that end. I don't find that to be an unworthy mission, unworthily pursued.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    No you don't 'just think' anything. You assert in the name of god almighty that rich people who don't follow your edicts will burn in Hell for eternity.

Cofty, I don't assert that. I just draw your attention to the relevant scripture. If you don't like it, tough. That is what is written, there.

Best wishes, 2RM

• cofty
    cofty

You quoted the dead carpenter's words as your authority - have the balls to own what you said.

let us pity them the fate that Jesus warned of in the parable of Lazarus, and try to save them from the consequences of their avarice - SRM

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

the vast majority of the two billion absolutely poor are that poor because of their circumstances, rather than any moral vice - but these poor must have some responsibility for their financial circumstances and how they respond.

I'm quite poor, it's just the way it is.

But I'm also responsible for my finances.

There is some considerable onus on me to improve my financial situation.

My grandmother intended for me and my dad to benefit from her money. She trusted my dad but he's decided otherwise. I can't cry or whinge on about it; it's just the way it is.

I'm not a victim, nor do I try to play a victim.

For the world's poor, the onus is on themselves to some degree and the government they live under.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    You quoted the dead carpenter's words as your authority - have the balls to own what you said.

Cofty, I don't assert that, not because I don't think sinners will be held accountable for their sins, or because I am not willing to own that attitude, but because I do not need to. Moses, the prophets, Jesus, and all conventional Christian denominations assert the same.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• cofty
    cofty
    Moses, the prophets, Jesus, and all conventional Christian denominations assert the same

Viewing those who don't agree with your superstitions as worthy of eternal torment makes you a sick bastard. Blaming Moses and Jesus is no excuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit