Wealth, Poverty, and Morality

by SecondRateMind 226 Replies latest jw friends

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    What you see as an ad hominem, I see as questioning you the way you are questioning others

Dubstepped, I don't recall questioning your integrity. Or that of any other individual contributor to this thread. Perhaps you will oblige by quoting me, where I did?

Best wishes, 2RM.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    One of the problems with the JWS is that they are instructed and regulated to only give to the WTS. Corporation, out outside charities or helping out the needy and disadvantaged if demeaned and frowned upon.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Not really true practicing Christians are they ?

As you may have gathered from my previous post, I think some Christians further advanced on their life's pilgrim journey than other Christians. But, I would not like to say that any Christian, who considers themselves a Christian, from whatever denomination, is not a Christian.

Best wishes, 2RM

• cofty
    cofty

I am confused about why people conflate the word 'christian' with goodness or morality.

Both the ancient and recent history of the church suggests there is no such connection.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind

Cofty, no one is claiming all Christians are good and moral. But, without Christianity, for all I know, we might still be crucifying politically and theologically inconvenient itinerant rabbis. Christianity, as best I construe history, has been responsible for atrocities. But also for much social progress.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But, I would not like to say that any Christian, who considers themselves a Christian, from whatever denomination, is not a Christian.

Really sounds a bit nonsensical of a statement. ........ again

Unless of course your Jesus Christ and therefore you can be that judgemental ?

• cofty
    cofty
    without Christianity, for all I know, we might still be crucifying politically and theologically inconvenient itinerant rabbis - SRM

Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who - like all his ilk - misled his followers. His preaching about giving everything away to the poor only made any sense in the context of his imminent parousia. He persuaded his disciples to abandon their wives and families and literally follow him around Palestine preaching a false hope.

Any useful insights that he shared are more than overshadowed by this.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Let us take all the world's wealth, and divide it equitably amongst all the world's people. And let us take all the world's annual production, and divide it equitably amongst all the world's people.

SecondRate, I scanned through most of the comments but im not sure I understood one thing: How exactly do you propose this redistribution of wealth be carried out?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Cofty, my thought when reading the Bible, is that the prophet's families shunned and left them for going against their beliefs at the time, not the other way around with the prophets wishing to abandon their own families.

It was the followers of the Jews, the Pharisees etc,. that considered Jesus, at the very least, a dangerous apostate. Anyone following Jesus would have been cast out of their own families. IMHO. So If the prophets, etc., wanted to follow Jesus , they had to recognize they would be forced into leaving their families, ( due to being cast out) . Kind of like how the xJWs have to know that by leaving, they risk being shunned and "cast out" by their own families.

Wasn't his hope the one of forgiveness of sins?

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    SecondRate, I scanned through most of the comments but im not sure I understood one thing: How exactly do you propose this redistribution of wealth be carried out?

Sanchy, when you have the time and inclination to scan in more depth, you will find that I commend that this redistribution to occur voluntarily and charitably, according to the promptings of each individual's conscience, and with the encouragement of society in general.

Specifically, I do not propose, as I have severally pointed out, but still many here have misunderstood me to mean, any form of compulsion around this.

Best wishes, 2RM

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind

But, I would not like to say that any Christian, who considers themselves a Christian, from whatever denomination, is not a Christian.

Really sounds a bit nonsensical of a statement. ........ again
    Unless of course your Jesus Christ and therefore you can be that judgemental ?

Finkelstein, if you cogitate a little, you will find the statement neither nonsensical nor judgmental. I mean exactly what I say, and I do not immediately conceive of how I might be clearer.

Best wishes, 2RM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit