Wealth, Poverty, and Morality

by SecondRateMind 226 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    all your wealth, however derived, is down to God's providence

First provide some evidence that god exists then we can talk about his favouritism.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Then why did you start the thread...etc

Cofty, forgive me, but I thought this to be a religious forum. I therefore thought one of Jesus' parables an entirely appropriate way to introduce the thread.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• cofty
    cofty

It is a religious discussion forum but it isn't an echo chamber. You make assertions you should expect to be asked to defend them.

You asserted that rich people who don't give away their wealth will spend eternity in Hell.

That is sick.

You asserted that people get wealthy, not by their own hard work or skill, but by divine providence.

That is absurd.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Get used to the idea, _Morpheus,

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ false. I will not, i need not, accept your ridiculous notion.

that all your wealth, however derived, is down to God's providence far more than it is due to your own virtue.

Correct. Virtue had nothing to do with it. It was work and perseverance on my part. Neither you nor your petty desert god had a hand in it.

And it is given to us to steward wisely on His behalf, not fritter on consumer indulgence

amazing to me that the so called god of heaven of and earth needs me to be a steward for him. Trust me he could do better. If he were real.

I do hope you enjoy being broke waiting on god to give you someone elses hard earned gain.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    First provide some evidence that god exists then we can talk about his favouritism.

Cofty, there is no such objective evidence, and in my opinion, there never will be. God will not interfere with our freedom to believe, or disbelieve, as we prefer.

But really, we are straying a long way from the thread theme, which is 'Wealth, Poverty and Morality' and I do not propose beyond here to continue this tangent.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• cofty
    cofty
    God will not interfere with our freedom to believe, or disbelieve

That is a hackneyed excuse. Evidence does not compel anybody to submit.

You're basing your entire premise on the assumption that god will torment the rich who don't give away their wealth and yet you confess there is no evidence he even exists.

for those of the rich who cannot bring themselves to part with their money, let us pity them the fate that Jesus warned of in the parable of Lazarus

Why should anybody take you seriously?

• Splash
    Splash
    2RM all your wealth, however derived, is down to God's providence

Then you should be telling God that there are poor, suffering, impoverished people on this planet of His, instead of trying to save the world yourself.

If God's providence determines someone's wealth, have you considered that you may be resisting God's plan by trying to spread the wealth? What makes you think you are wiser than God?

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Then you should be telling Him that there are poor, suffering, impoverished people on this planet of His, instead of trying to save the world yourself.

In my experience, Splash, God works through us, not instead of us. That way, we develop the necessary virtues, which He can reward.

I'm off now, for the night. Keep safe, everyone.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• cofty
    cofty

If individuals get wealthy due to god's providence then those dying of hunger must also put the blame on divine providence, which makes your god a moral monster.

Why should humans be held responsible for clearing up his mess?

That way, we develop the necessary virtues, which He can reward

So the starving masses are moral commodities that exist so that wealthy xtians can get rewards.

• hoser
    hoser

@ dubstepped

I have a hard time finding good employees too so I have learned to better manage the ones I have.

I have also made investments in automation so that I don’t have to rely on labour so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit