The new service meeting

by John Aquila 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• bohm
    bohm
    I can absolutely confirm the story. i am the single sister in question and i got killer legs
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Well there you go bohm. By the very fact you've used a coordinating sentence rather than dangling a penultimate subordinate clause, I can therefore declare that what you've written is 100% accurate.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Bohm = YEAH BABY!!!!
  • bohm
    bohm

Sbf: it is a hell of a good story :-)

Can you hear the whispers of the Dark side: elements of the story are true or not; the plausability can be discerned by internal consistency; elements of the story might be invented whereas others are not -- join the Dark side sbf

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Yeah the sister with the long legs is the most realistic element of the whole story. Very perceptive bohm. In fact it's probably what the whole story is "about" in a certain sense.
  • bohm
    bohm
    My real name is Andriana. I enjoy cooking, sex and Rambo 2.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You are correct bohm, I do not believe there is a meaningful distinction between truth and fiction at the level of the relation between a text and the external world. But when talking everyday we maintain such fictions and it makes sense to use the language of the "game".

It might be better to say that while the OP presents itself as a factual account its internal style is more fictive than factual. Maybe that's as far as we can go.

Some like Hayden White and Christopher Brooker claim all stories can be boiled down to a handful of basic plots. The OP reads like an example of the comedy genre to me.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It goes against the grain for me to say this but . . . I agree with Slim'.

I called John out in his No Kingdom Halls topic and I smell the same stuff here. If you're a Brit you'll get this reference;

Jackanory.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jackanory? Was that Balamorey for older dudes? ;-)

And don't kid yourself you're always agreeing with me, just not about reality.

• bohm
    bohm
    SBF: It might be better to say that while the OP presents itself as a factual account its internal style is more fictive than factual. Maybe that's as far as we can go.

ah -- but is the simplest and most common (in fact, the only I can think of) definition of the words "fictive" and "factual" not how closely the account relate to how the writer persieved events and does that distinction between fiction and factual account then not in and by itself tip ones hand towards accepting some accounts are more true than others in them being more or less accurate description of what happened?

Said in another way, if all accounts are equally true and equally fictive, why do we need two words as the OP is then both equally fiction and fact and so is any other account and you might as well make your comments on this thread as on any other thread on peoples experience with the WT?

"join the dark side my son; feel the power of common-use of language and an externally existing world"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit