The new service meeting

by John Aquila 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    If we are delusional then we are. I'm not selling property or forbidding college and discouraging childbearing as a result, so, oh well.
  • Magnum
    Magnum

JWdaughter, I find your account related on this page to be completely credible, but it doesn't compare at all to John's account. Sure, older women get together and sitll joke around. I know that; I've socialized with a number of older women and expereinced it myself. So, It's not that I don't think older ladies get together and joke around, etc. Nobody has contended that. I know that happens. However, that is not what I think smells fishy in John's account.

There are a number of things that raise suspicion about John's accounts - for one thing, the frequency with which he supposedly has these exceptional experiences. Have you read them all? I certainly can't prove they're false, but the details contained therein do not ring true.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Ok. I'm going to start a thread with a story done in JA style (only it is true) and then you all can tell me if it happened or not. Maybe we should start another thread and ask for entries done in the JA style and vote later for a winner.
  • Magnum
    Magnum

FadeToBlack, that simple experiment would not bear at all on this situation. You would have to post over a relatively long period and let us get a feel for you and your accounts. And it still wouldn't prove anything. Your stories would be different from John's. It's just not as simple as you make it out to be.

I actually believed John's accounts at first as I indicated in posts on this thread. Go back and look at some of his past threads relating sensational accounts, and you will se that I left comments thanking him and saying how I really appreciated the info. I was excited about what he was relating. He got my hopes up that JWdom was deteriorating faster than I thought. So, since I believed John's accounts at first, I might believe yours at first. This situation is not black and white and simple, and you seem to think you can make it that way by making one post and seeing whether we can tell whether it's true or false. To me, that's indicative of a lack of insight into and comprehension of this situation.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Thanks for clearing that up for me Magnum. I always suspected that I lacked insight and comprehension.

I was proposing to write a true story in JA's style and then wait to see how many people told me it couldn't be true.

• Magnum
    Magnum

FadeToBlack, please don't misrepresent me. I did not say that you 'lack insight and comprehension' as if I feel that you do in general; I have no authority or right or justification to say that. I said you that what you posted is, to me, "indicative of a lack of insight into and comprehension of this situation". You just did like the Watchtower Society did in the Creator book and Trinity Brochure. You misquoted me.

I was proposing to write a true story in JA's style and then wait to see how many people told me it couldn't be true

But that's not what you posted above. You wrote:

"I'm going to start a thread with a story done in JA style (only it is true) and then you all can tell me if it happened or not."

That's what you wrote, and that, to me, implies some kind of test. I supposed you were going to post a story at some point in the future and not tell us at that time that it was true and then see what we thought - whether some of us doubted it.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Magnum - we must be like 2 ships passing in the night. I thought I made it clear with the (only it is true) part that the story/account would be true, only posted in JA's style. For emphasis: I was proposing to write a story that was true, but done is such a style that many would call me out on it as not possibly being true. Note: I am attempting (perhaps not so well) to inject some humour into this tempest in a teapot thread.

That is why I suggested we should start a thread with JA style type stories. It it easy to recognize authors style (Dickens, Hemingway) but difficult to replicate. Why don't you have a go at it. Start the thread.

• Magnum
    Magnum

FadeToBlack - OK, sorry if I was a butt. Don't mean to be. Seems like I misunderstood you.

I might have a go at it. About to go out to eat now. Will check back later. Thanks for the humor part. This thread has sort of depressed me. It went south. Maybe some humor would help.

I just want to make it clear to everybody that I was hesitant to finally admit that I doubted JA's stories. I really was excited about them and appreciative of them at first. It just gradually got to the point that, to me, they didn't sound believable anymore. I was disappointed.

Sorry to anybody with whom I might have been too harsh.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I understand why many have been incredulous of JOHN AQUILA's stories. . .

But really this kind of anecdotal stuff doesn't bother me. . . . because it is anecdotal and proves nothing regardless of whether or not it's actually true.

Just my $.02

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Magnum. Enjoy your meal. No need to apologize. I think a creative writing thread dedicated to JA (in off Topic/Humour) would be interesting. The ground rules would be that it has to be a true story, but you write it in such a way that nobody believes you. Note: I'm not suggesting that his stories are true, just entertaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit