Why I Will No Longer Be Flying the "Friendly Skies"

by SanFranciscoJim 44 Replies latest social current

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I did notice a hole in security recently at one airport. I saw that all passengers and cabin crew were made to remove their shoes and pass them through the x-ray equipment. (I don't know why a pilot would need to blow up a plane in order to crash it!) However, airport staff, those with ID cards (e,g, those who were wearing restaurant uniforms) did not have to remove their shoes. The security hole is this. A terrorist could get on board a plane with explosives in their shoes by simply get an accomplice to get a job as a worker for a gate area company, (waiter, cleaner) and wear the shoes through security. Once through the security check the terrorist passenger would swap shoes with his/her accomplice in the toilets.

I can't be the only one to see the flaw in security and that spot checks are made on airport staff.

3rd

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think we have been spoiled in this country, in regards to air travel. Anyone who has flow to or out of one of the International airports has experienced LONG lines and tough security. Warsaw Poland is a disaster as far as getting through lines efficiently, and so is Malaysia. The last time I left Malaysia, there was no way to tell where lines were, it was just masses of people moving toward desks, where they check your Passports, carry on stuff and tickets. (they go through everything too) We stood in a very long line in London too, and no one cared that our flight was taking off in an hour, and we might not make the flight. Soldiers are in all of those airports, routinely, with machine guns (that is pretty scary too).

For some reason I am almost always picked for the thorough search (do I look like a terrorist?) and have to go into a seperate room, where a woman frisks me spread-eagled, all over. I Our son had a teddy bear he had bought in Poland, and I thought they were going to rip it open, in London. Finally they just handed it back to him. I have never minded that, and usually am giggling about it afterwards. I just wonder "why me?".

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

If it keeps the terrorist out of this country and off of airplanes I can't see the harm. I'd rather have some stranger know my date of birth than be killed by a suicidal terrorist.

I travel a lot and don't really have a choice.

Devon

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    If it keeps the terrorist out of this country and off of airplanes I can't see the harm. I'd rather have some stranger know my date of birth than be killed by a suicidal terrorist.

I didn't realize it was an "either-or" choice.

I choose "none of the above".

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi SF Jim,

The date of birth seems like pointless information. Airlines already require a credit card, which has much more informational background, including date of birth. Most photo ID, like driver license, have date of borth. I am not personally concerned about it, as the government has been able to and has actuually collected a lot of information on most citizens --- since the days of J. Edgar Hoover, the anal retentive head of the FBI.

THE REAL ISSUE ... is ... WE have the power to stop this, and other errosions of our civil rights ... but instead WE are allowing our paid public servants to get away with it. The solution is not by voting in or out a president or a different Congress ... the solution is massive civil protests and work stoppages until the government listens ... and it includes a non-elected leader to temporarily voice a unified concern.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ... because humans do not work that way until they are forced to fight, or to lay down in front of tanks, as they did in the former Soviet Union.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    THE REAL ISSUE ... is ... WE have the power to stop this, and other errosions of our civil rights ... but instead WE are allowing our paid public servants to get away with it. The solution is not by voting in or out a president or a different Congress ... the solution is massive civil protests and work stoppages until the government listens ... and it includes a non-elected leader to temporarily voice a unified concern.

Very good points, Amazing. Thank you. This is exactly why I have chosen not to fly. If our current administration is voted out of office, even a new administration will be loath to rescind any current "anti-terrorism" schemes already in place.

Our airlines are already in serious financial trouble. If enough people boycott the airlines because of CAPPS II -- for whatever reason -- then the sting of foreboding financial collapse will most certainly send a loud warning to whatever administration is in power that they are going about this in an unacceptable manner.

Unfortunately, as you point out, it is probably not going to happen. Many of the posts in this thread prove this. Most will likely allow the government to continue with their program of paranoia, looking upon it as a mere "inconvenience". Unless there is an imminent threat, most people just go about their business and let the government do as it will, even if it opens up the opportunity for innocents to be taken advantage of. How many more will cry "It will never happen to me" before it actually does?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Educate yourself. The FBI can go to any library and seek information on United States citizens without the knowledge of the individual. Librarians have revolted against this action. Taps can be made on VOIP (voice over Internet protocol) conversations via computer without warrant, if the FBI claims it is to counter terrorism. American citizens can be jailed without charges filed (and subsequently denied their rights) against them if they are alleged (truthfully or untruthfully) to be terrorists. Jose Padilla is but one example of this. You can rant and make your excuses, but the facts stare you in the face. The United States progresses more towards a disgusting mix of an Orwellian state of Big Brotherhood and a nation eroding civil liberties as time progresses. I for one am disgusted by it, and if it continues much further, will exercise my right to LEAVE this country, especially if Bush is re-elected.

The FBI Can go to a PUBLIC library and get info...without the knowledge of the individual...these are PUBLIC libraries...and this is done UNDER THE SUPERVISION of a judge...so...what's the issue? To the very best of my knowledge no tapping can be done without a judge oking it...if I'm wrong...show me. Yes, Jose Padilla is indeed one example of what you site...and there have been all kinds of rounds of court over this issue...the court says...so far...that the government has acted in accord with the constitution. You can rant and make accusations all you want but can't point to one example...other than Jose...of anything close to a violation of civil rights. I'm sure you're disgusted...you do have the right to leave if Bush is re-elected..\.if that's your intention...I'd start packing.

The Center for Constitutional Rights whose web site you quoted isn't exactly known as a bastion of conservativism.

The Patriot Act requires that the DOJ make a report to Congress every six months on ANY ACTION it's taken under the PAT ACT. There's also an end to MANY of the powers granted iin the PAT ACT on 31 Dec 05...the DOJ has examined exactly ZERO library files under the PAT ACT thus far...big problem...huh. Enjoy your new country...which one is it you're going to where you'll have more liberties than in the US?

• Simon
    Simon

While they create all the veneer of having extra security, the data it checks is stored and created by outsourced companies in India and China.

How hard I wonder for an Al Quiada person to do a bit of data entry?

Also, how likely is it that a poor data clerk in Bangalore may be tempted to earn a few bucks by selling on your personal information (inc. bank details) ?

If the government was really bothered about security then personal data should not be allowed to go to foreign companies. The EU has a law to prevent this but already this is being circumvented by UK companies outsourcing their data-handling operations.

With the new outsourcing deals including things like the development and management of systems though, they won't need to go to the trouble of elaborate fake identities ... they will just be able to shut-off systems at will !!

All hail corporate-America and it's wisdom willingness to sacrifice security for short-term profit.

• Simon
    Simon
    Enjoy your new country...which one is it you're going to where you'll have more liberties than in the US?

Yeru ... your country now belongs to a shameful list of countries that allows imprisonment without charge or notification being given that you are even being detained.

I guess you think being in the company of oppressive states is a good thing eh?

BTW: I like the work you do on Stargate SG1 ... your pic always reminds be of Colnel Hammond

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You weren't suppossed to notice...Hammond is my alter ego.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit