Why I Will No Longer Be Flying the "Friendly Skies"

by SanFranciscoJim 44 Replies latest social current

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

oh... I thought that maybe you would no longer be flying because your arms were tired.

...nevermind...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

SFJim:

My identity is precious, and I take great pains to ensure that I do not become the next victim of identity theft. I no longer shop at grocery chains that use "member cards".

I'm sorry but I think it's a leap to fear "identity theft" because a store keeps track of what items you purchase, perhaps tying it to your name and phone number.

Also, as others have pointed out, your birthdate is already on your driver's license. Last time I flew I had to show my driver's license at the ticket counter and then when I went through security.

• mustang
    mustang

I think it is already there, to a large extent.

These three items are a matter of record. I'm sure they are available to the government, the military and even the airline industry, if they care to look hard enough:

1) I am a licensed Radio Operator; that includes repair.

2) I am a licensed pilot (I hold an "Airman's Certificate").

3) I worked in the aerospace industry on airline comm equipment.

I took an overseas flight over a year ago. There happened to be serious problems with a piece of communications gear on the airplane.

Before the plane was towed out of the gate, the 2nd Officer came into the passenger's compartment and called my name. I waved to him; he nodded and went back to his other duties.

Sobering thought...!!!!

Mustang

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

If someone really wanted to steal your identity, I think there is little you can do to prevent it. My wife did some skip-tracing for an auto repossession company and it was pretty easy to get someone's SSN and other precious information. Quite shocking...

Of course that doesn't mean you should give out your info indiscriminately.

• Princess
    Princess

I just flew with my kids over the weekend. You have to take off your shoes when you go through security...kids don't unless they have shoes with lights. Fortunately my kids are past that stage. I don't care about my shoes, it was a little tricky on the flight home AFTER running a marathon but I still managed. It's for our protection after all.

I had to show ID when I got my boarding pass from an E-ticket machine and at security. Didn't have to show it at boarding. I honestly don't get why people are so upset over this stuff. So the grocery store knows what kind of milk you drink. So what? They give me a coupon which I almost never use but I don't think they are going to steal my credit card or anything. Most of the stores allow you to get a "club card" without giving them any information. I always opt for that because 1. I'm too lazy to stand there and fill out the card and 2. I get sick of all the crap they send me in the mail.

Crawl into a cave or something. You'll be safe there.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am a frequent flyer so I will be one of those enrolling for the by-pass scheme - I am a law abidfing person so I have no problems giving authorities my details -- they have them anyway and the FBI can get any information it wants anyway so what is the big deal?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    SFJim:
    My identity is precious, and I take great pains to ensure that I do not become the next victim of identity theft. I no longer shop at grocery chains that use "member cards".

I'm sorry but I think it's a leap to fear "identity theft" because a store keeps track of what items you purchase, perhaps tying it to your name and phone number.

Doc, I wasn't trying to tie datamining at grocery stores directly to CAPPS II, but now that you mentioned it, I did some further investigation. According to some newspaper articles I've just come across (type the words "fly restrictions red yellow green" into Google News), it would seem that the CAPPS II system may in fact actually be tying into the department store and grocery store databases as well! Sheesh! Where will it end??

Also, as others have pointed out, your birthdate is already on your driver's license. Last time I flew I had to show my driver's license at the ticket counter and then when I went through security.

There is a big difference between showing your identification to someone at a ticket counter and providing them with information that they can keep. CAPPS II opens up the possibility of the latter.

Or upon retirement, we may wish to travel to other places in the world. If we have to prove who we are, I see no problem in doing so. Passports were first begun to handle such matters. Now things must get tougher. As long as everyone has to do so, and no one is waived from the process, I will go with the plan.
    That's an interesting point, Sentinel. You know, there are networks of terrorists around the world who have at their disposal high-quality counterfeiting systems that can produce amazingly realistic forged documents, including passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses. In many lesser-developed nations, a sufficient bribe to a government official can buy a genuine travelling document in a false name, too. I see no point in penalizing those who are honest when those who have intent to harm can still slip through the cracks, and that is exactly what CAPPS II will do.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I understand your line of thinking, SFJim, but what would you propose they do to try and counter terrorism?

Also, if you no longer fly, how will you choose to travel great distances?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I am a frequent flyer so I will be one of those enrolling for the by-pass scheme - I am a law abidfing person so I have no problems giving authorities my details -- they have them anyway and the FBI can get any information it wants anyway so what is the big deal?

You're not giving the information to the FBI. The government is providing the information, and the final recipient is an employee of an airline. I don't have any problems with the FBI having my information. I do have a problem with Joe Citizen having it, when I do not know what will be done with it!

Crawl into a cave or something. You'll be safe there.

If that's what it takes to keep my identity from being stolen, then the cave it is! I have a friend on Long Island, New York who had his identity stolen by an employee at a rental car agency. His credit was destroyed, and it's taken him years to repair it. I'll bet he wishes he had joined me in that "cave".

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I understand your line of thinking, SFJim, but what would you propose they do to try and counter terrorism?

Also, if you no longer fly, how will you choose to travel great distances?

Question #1: Considering the sophistication of terrorist groups, I would suggest that datamining personal information is not the way to go, because of their abilities to successfully create false identities. Continuing to search all luggage, checked and carry-on, as well as air cargo, plus the visible presence of air marshalls on every flight would provide me with a lot more comfort than worrying about Joe Ticket Counter Employee taking my personal information home with him to do whatever with.

Question #2: By great distances, I assume you mean within North America. I have driven coast to coast many times. It's a wonderful way to see this great nation, and allows one to stop along the way to drink in its rich scenery and history. Air travel gets you there, but there is no joy in the journey, and that's what life is supposed to be all about, isn't it?

If you're talking about overseas.....well, I've always wanted to take a trans-atlantic cruise aboard the QE II.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit