Why I Will No Longer Be Flying the "Friendly Skies"

by SanFranciscoJim 44 Replies latest social current

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Heightened security measures in the U.S. now demand the implementation very soon of a new program called "CAPPS II". Airline passengers will now be required to not only present photo identification at the airport ticket counter, they will now be required to also provide their date of birth.

Airlines are being ordered by the so-called "Homeland Security" agency to determine if each passenger is a flight risk, rating them "green" (OK to fly), "yellow" (need to be interrogated before allowing access to the aircraft), or "red" (forbidden to fly under any circumstances).

While many see this as a necessary security measure in the shadow of the 9/11 disaster, others are screaming "foul" because they believe it is an invasion of their privacy.

Once this plan is initiated, I will no longer patronize airlines, not because of the invasion of privacy factor, but because of the threat of datamining. What is "datamining"? Simply this: Have you ever gone grocery shopping, used your "customer card" and the checkout clerk gives you several coupons for products you often purchase along with your receipt? How did their computer know to print out the relevant coupons? You are being datamined! Your shopping history is kept in a computer database, so that it "remembers" what products you normally buy.

When you surf the net, many websites have banner advertising embedded in their sites. Often, those banner ads are relevant to other sites you visit. How does your computer know this? Because they have, without your permission or knowledge, installed datamining engines on your computer that follow you from site to site, determining what advertising would be most suitable to you according to your surfing history.

While the above datamining techniques are relatively harmless, the CAPPS II program takes it a step further. By now requiring sensitive personal information to input into airline computer databases, as well as the required presentation of personal identification, the level of datamining has been brought to a new, insecure level. Most airline ticket counter employees do not earn a substantial salary. This, therefore, opens up a world of temptation to them to take your personal information, which CAPPS II will require you to give. Some unscrupulous airline ticket agent may now be given the opportunity, through government-sponsored required datamining, to steal your identity. Mark my words: it will happen!!

My identity is precious, and I take great pains to ensure that I do not become the next victim of identity theft. I no longer shop at grocery chains that use "member cards". I have a program that deletes datamining programs from my computer, and I run it daily.

Therefore, until our country finds another means by which to ensure our flight safety, I will discontinue patronizing the airlines. This nation's airlines are already in a state of financial uncertainty. This could be their death knell. If so, we are giving the terrorists exactly what they want! What a horrible blunder this country is making!

Here is an article giving more information on the upcoming fiasco:

Critics distrust Bush?s airline security plan

Joseph Straw , Register Washington Bureau 01/13/2004

WASHINGTON - The federal government?s plan to check air travelers? identities against private databases, then classify them on a color-coded scale, would violate privacy laws and foster discrimination, critics said Monday.

The program, announced Monday as a way to more thoroughly screen passengers by the Transportation Security Administration, is expected to begin on a limited basis this summer.

In addition to their name, address and telephone number, travelers purchasing airline tickets will be required to provide their date of birth when buying airline tickets.

Retailers - whether they be airlines, travel agencies or Web-based travel services ? would then forward the information to the TSA. Private data analysis contractors, operating similarly to private credit services, would check the information against existing private databases.

The contractors would then give the TSA a numerical score indicating the likelihood that the traveler?s information is legitimate. Federal authorities would then check the traveler?s name against terrorist "watch" lists, "no-fly" lists, and domestic law enforcement agencies? lists of wanted violent offenders.

Based on the results, travelers would be issued a color: Green if they are cleared to board, yellow if they are to be screened further, or red if they are forbidden from flying.

The plan, called CAPPS 2, for the Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening program, follows a program under which travelers were evaluated based on factors such as whether they purchased one-way tickets, or paid fares with cash.

TSA spokesman Mark Hatfield said the TSA would not receive any private information about travelers from the existing databases, only a rating number reflecting the veracity of their identities.

"The No. 1 priority in developing this system is protection of privacy and the address of grievances," Hatfield said.

The TSA is further planning a "registered" or "trusted" traveler program, under which travelers willing to provide the TSA additional information, and possibly a fingerprint, would be issued a special ID card that would speed them through check-in and screening, officials said.

U.S. Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, D-Conn., the ranking Democrat on the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, said he sees holes in the plan.

"As it has been described to us, I think CAPPS 2 would be highly vulnerable to identity theft," Lieberman said. "Even DHS officials have acknowledged they don?t yet have a system that would prevent terrorists from assuming other people?s identities."

The government must also guarantee that travelers? private information would be protected, Lieberman said.

Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said the policy would restrict citizens? rights without providing them clear cause, and could lead to further restrictions on peoples? access to places and events.

"We?re not talking about people entering the country. We?re not talking about terrorists. We?re talking about people the government thinks are suspicious, but can?t actually arrest," Rotenberg said. "There has to be some public basis for doing it. You can?t just pull someone off the street and not have a reason for doing it."

Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties Union?s Technology and Liberty Project, called the proposal "illusory security on the cheap."

The "registered" traveler program would favor business travelers and the wealthy, Steinhardt argued.

"Not only are terrorists going to be able to bypass security through forged documentation and fallible technology, the little guy is going to be subjected to the same hassles at the airport, while the first-class or business passenger gets a free pass," Steinhardt said.

Airlines have resisted efforts by the federal government to obtain passenger information voluntarily, facing threats of boycotts and lawsuits from consumers.

The industry supports CAPPS 2 because it will spare air travelers "headaches" at the airport, said Doug Wills, a spokesman for the Air Transport Association, which represents the airline industry.

"The program will prescreen passengers before they enter an airport or a plane, and we think that?s a smarter solution than the kind of screening that goes on in airports now," Wills said.

But Hatfield said that the TSA is still negotiating the implementation of the program with airlines. An outright "security directive" has not been issued to get airlines to turn over passenger information, though that is an "available means," he said.

Source: http://www.newhavenregister.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1281&dept_id=7574&newsid=10795485&PAG=461&rfi=9

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I understand your concerns about data privacy but:

:they will now be required to also provide their date of birth.

The three forms of identification I use to fly are my driving license, my green card and my passport. All three already have my date of birth printed on or in them. I think airline frequent flyer programs I am enrolled with have my date of birth as well. At some Liquor stores they swipe my driver's license and my DoB appears on the till screen. I can't really see airlines asking for any more information than is already avaialble to them.

3rd

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

oh just put a chip in your neck and get it over with!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I'll be honest, I never liked to fly. I was always scared of it but it is a nescessary for me since my parents live in Puerto Rico. The last time I went there was in Febuary of 2001. After Sept 2001 I haven't even thought about going, but maybe I will next year. Have to go to the bacardi plant

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    The three forms of identification I use to fly are my driving license, my green card and my passport. All three already have my date of birth printed on or in them. I think airline frequent flyer programs I am enrolled with have my date of birth as well. At some Liquor stores they swipe my driver's license and my DoB appears on the till screen. I can't really see airlines asking for any more information than is already avaialble to them.

Unfortunately, it does not stop with date of birth. Some newspapers are reporting that in order to purchase airline tickets on line, a person's fingerprint may have to be on file somewhere.

The airlines aren't the ones doing the datamining. They are feeding the information into a government-controlled database, which will reply with datamined information. Who is to say what information the airlines will be given? I do know that it will tell the ticket counter agent if the person has any criminal record, or any outstanding warrants. What else could it tell them?

You can't stand at a counter and apply to see your information under the Freedom of Information Act while hoping to board an aircraft.

It's not the fact that the airlines have the information per se, it's what information is being given to them, and what can be done with it. Unless the government plans to replace airline ticket counter agents with their own employees, as they did with the metal detection screeners, then I'll be staying in my car, thank you!

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I concur completely SanFranciscoJim.

It is alarming to see how much closer to a police state and martial law our nation becomes with each passing month.

Under the guise of protecting citizens from terrorism, the United States government has enacted legislation which systematically violates the right to privacy and civil rights of citizens unlike anything seen since Japanese-Americans were detained unjustly during World War II.

The Patriot Act.

Hell, Jose Padilla (the Mexican-American in Chicago accused of being tied to Al-Qaeda and seeking a dirty bomb) is a United States citizen and was held without charges and without trial for over a year. Even if he IS guilty of seeking a dirty bomb, when the United States stoops to the level of razing the fundamental rights our forefathers intended for it's citizens as provided in the Constitution... we have already lost.

How many civil rights are we as a nation of citizens with inherent rights willing to sacrifice for the sake of feeling a little more secure because the government claims to be tightening the noose on terror?

Asscroft and his cronies under Dumb (according to Paul O'Neill anyway, he is a blind man in a room full of deaf people) Dubya are the absolute worst thing to happen to this nation in decades.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl
    I do know that it will tell the ticket counter agent if the person has any criminal record, or any outstanding warrants

i guess i don't see where that's necessarily such a bad thing.

• brainwashed
    brainwashed

My god...you'll end up sitting in ya house all day not speaking to anyone at this rate!!!!!!!

Chill out!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Freedom is not free. It comes with a pricetag, and the cost has increased. Thankfully, we have not had any incidents here since 9-11 and that is not by accident. There are forces at work keeping this from happening. It is an ongoing process to keep the world safe from terrorists. The stricter they get in some areas, the more put-upon we may feel. To me that is rather a small price to pay for "feeling safe".

Personally, I have relatives all over the US and it might be that I would have to take a flight out at some point in time. Or upon retirement, we may wish to travel to other places in the world. If we have to prove who we are, I see no problem in doing so. Passports were first begun to handle such matters. Now things must get tougher. As long as everyone has to do so, and no one is waived from the process, I will go with the plan.

/<

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

When I flew this past October, it was the first time since 1998. Not that I don't like to fly, it's just that I drive to most of my destinations. When I flew to PA, I had to show my drivers license to the sky cap, he typed in my name and voila, I had my boarding pass, since it was an e-ticket. I then proceeded to security, where again I showed my driver's license. The TSA insisted on seeing on my other driver's license, which I brought because it expired in two days (my birthday was in 2 days). I told her I brought both because the other hadn't expired. She look dumbfounded. I then went thru the security, and then waited to board. Then I had to show my driver's license again with my boarding pass. The boarding pass was placed thru a machine and then and only then, was I allowed to board. There were loads of people at security and they were for the most part, very professional. However, I can understand why many say TSA stands for "Thousands Standing Around!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit