What's your favorite JW word or phrase?

by Sara Annie 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

In a minimus moment, I find myself interested in knowing which buzz-words and phrases in JW publications stand out the most to you? When I read WT literature, I constantly find myself astounded by how transparently cultish the language is. In an earlier, unrelated thread, I said the following:

On a slightly unrelated note, my favorite 'cult speak' work used by JW publications is "inculcate". Derived from a Latin word that literally means "to trample" or "to tread upon", it means to teach by frequent repetition or admonition. I get a real kick out of how they are always referring to how members of 'Jehovah's Organization' have their 'life-saving information' drilled and shamed into them.

Anyone else have any?

• Gopher
    Gopher

The quote from 2nd president of the WTS (JF Rutherford): "Religion is a snare and a racket".

How true, even of their own "religion"!!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Stay alive till '75!

Ok, maybe that's not my favorite but it's the first thing that came to mind... lol

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Jehover

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

One bunch of phrases which made me wonder what right we as witnesses had the right to use against others were

He's not doing very well,

He's spritually weak, or dead

or he's not doing to good.

All of these phrases had something to do with a member not attending meetings or going out in field service enough. As if a person using this phrase had a knowledge of what this person was thinking or doing. I can even remember young fellows like myself who I served with in Bethel who were "asked to leave" because they were spirtually weak. They would call back several months later saying it was the best thing to happen to them! They'll say I wasn't studying enough or I didn't aspreciate my time at Bethel.

It's almost like 1984 in the end of the movie when the couple admit to each other they were glad they got caught.

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

The Truth, surely.

• mustang
    mustang

I always liked "Dispensation". I think I read that in one of Russell's "Studies in the Scriptures". I doubt they have used the word in a 100 years, though.

Mustang

• Piph
    Piph

I like "happified". Ha, ha, that makes me feel so happified! *rolls eyes*

And who really says "wholesome" besides bread commercials?

Let us enjoy some wholesome, heartwarming association at a get-together where we shall sing Kingdom Songs and eat healthy snacks.

Let's get happified!!

• micheal
    micheal

"We should just wait on Jehovah" - In reality this is nothing more than a copout.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

"Ones"

"Interested Ones", "Young Ones", etc...it's the word I love to hate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit