JW's and Pubs/Bars

by Heatmiser 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Special K
    Special K

Hey Odrade???

Would you tell me more about what a "micro-brew".. is? as compared to a pub or bar..

I have never heard of this.. Does micro-brews ="tiny coffee's"?... hehe

Seriously, what is a micro-brew like?... because I live in the woods.

sincerely

Special K ...

• freedom96
    freedom96

It could depend on the congregation you attended. In the hall that I was at for the longest, would not have tolerated a witness going to a bar. Maybe they couldn't be df'd, but there sure would be a talk about it, and they would be marked as bad association, and they certainly would not be able to participate in the hall activities.

• undercover
    undercover
    I remember when owning a TV was considered to be a sign of weakness and immaturity. In our congregation the Bible study servant got a TV and was considered to be very dodgy as a result.

Yea, back then owning a TV was bad. Now it's okay to own one, you just can't watch much on it.

It's interesting to see the differences between English/Scottish/Irish pubs and American bars. The best pubs that I visited were the ones in the small towns. Warm, cozy, good food and all the towns people knew each other and that's where they went to catch up on the local events. Most American bars don't have that feel. Even the replicated "Irish" pubs over here cannot capture the feel of a "real" Irish pub. There are some great neighborhood bars here, don't get me wrong. I go to a good one, but in general American bars seem colder. Move em in and move em out.

I was raised in the Southern U.S. so you've got that whole Baptist influence still lingering around even now for a lot of people. I have relatives(non JW) that will not step foot in a restaurant/bar that serves alcohol. I think certain areas have such a stigma about alcohol that bars in those areas will always seem seedy or low. Those area JWs probably do have a hangup about going in such places where JWs in Atlanta, DC, New York don't think twice about it. The WTS then uses that stigma as tool to control its members from having outside influence.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

No .. NOT a DA or DF thing.

Even growing up in a relatively conservative area, the places that would definitely be frowned upon would be the more run-down places that only served drinks and no food ... typically full of smoke and a place where even I would not really care to spend much time.

In the USA, over the last 20 years or so, the growth of franchises has often replaced traditional bars, places like Chilis, Applebees, TGI Fridays, etc. Although the "bar" is an integral part of the business, there is no longer the stigma of it being a "bad place" for even families to go.

And yes, the microbrew craze has been a big factor. Some of the best food can be found at these places.

***** Rub a Dub

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i see dubs out in nightclubs let alone bars or pubs, which is a nightmare if want a fag. i have to keep looking over my shoulder all the time lol.

• Englishman
    Englishman

You looking for fags in nightclubs, PD?

Englishman.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Seriously, what is a micro-brew like?... because I live in the woods

Locally brewed speciality beer. Micro 'cos it's not from a big Corporation.

Englishman.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Before I faded out, I worked as a cocktail waitress at this dark, steamy, meat market of a bar, frequented by sailors and hoochie-mamas. Hey, the tips were good. With some frequency, local dubs would come in, looking all guilty and furtive. I always made sure I got to wait on them. They would see me, a sister in good standing thus far, and either leave right away, or say something lame like "I won't tell I saw you here if you won't tell on me". I'd tell them to have a beer and relax. Made for some pretty awkward moments at the meeting on Sunday! And no, I never turned anyone in for enjoying a little nightlife.

Locally, it is severely frowned upon to go to a bar, even if you are an employee there.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

The only drinking in public that I remember was getting some beers in a pizza joint. I must have attended nothing but strict congregations. I don't even recall ever seeing a drunk Jdud in my 22 years. Guess I missed out on all the fun. You posters opened my eyes to a whole world of JW's that I never even knew about.

Heatmiser

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit