JW's and Pubs/Bars

by Heatmiser 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

The congregation I attended most of us MS would frequently go out after the Friday night meeting for drinks. We never talked at it much to anyone else, but I?m sure the elders were aware of it. It was no deal to us, we would go to this bar in downtown Brooklyn that would serve drinks that were equivalent to a triple shot. Those were the days, and one of the few things I enjoyed from my dub days.

• Special K
    Special K

Hey Englishman that has a nice ring to it..

"DUBS in PUBS"..

In my area of the world, Nova Scotia ..in my experience... J.W.'s were not really allowed in pubs and bars..

However, the presiding overseer thought he could if he went an hours drive away ...and that was okay..

But when I asked him if I could go to pub or bar.. he said. NO, NO, NO... Can't do that! ..bad bad stuff!!

Irritating kind of overseer...let me tell ya..

sincerely

Special K

• Odrade
    Odrade

In Oregon, with the "micro-brew" craze that is slowly becoming a tradition... all the good eats and hangouts are pubs. Almost all the witnesses will go to them. Even my strictly, strictly JW parents have a few pubs they will go to, although they would be horrified if someone suggested it was in any way similar to a bar. Weird.

O

• Huxley
    Huxley

I agree with Odrade, Oregon loves it's micros and that includes the Witlesses. My experience has been that pubs, microbrew houses were pretty much okay, but most witnesses avoided "dive bars". Now I like dive/old man bars much better. The clientele is much more interesting!

Huxley

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In the US I believe that going to bars would pretty much be a DF/DA offense

I disagree -- unless the PO is a blind moron, he knows I go in bars and he has not eve mentioned it to me, never mind counselled me. If I am visiting Europe/GB/Ireland I often go in pubs and meet brothers and sisters there

• blondie
    blondie

No problem with going to bars. Some are sleazy, some are nice. Nothing wrong with drinking in moderation and not under age. Not a DF'ing offense. MS/elders were in our group often. Hanging out by yourself might be considered a danger spiritually. But never, ever on the platform or off was going to a bar a DF'ing offense. I have known JWs that were bartenders too.

Blondie

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I guess I misunderstood all those years as a Jdud what the policy was on this issue.

• Lonestar13
    Lonestar13

I've gone to bars however would not divulge this info to my ultra conservative j-dub 'friends' since i knew it would be frowned upon greatly. I've heard several talks but none recently which mention the dangers of bars, but moreso for the association and not the drinking. Point is as stated above, restaurants have bars, hotels as well. I went on a JW trip to DC and the hotel we stayed in had a bar. I went down and enjoyed a drink with an older brother and thought nothing of it and neither did he. When I go to the UK I find that j-dubs go to pubs and consume more alcohol in general than their US counterparts, which suits me just fine

• avishai
    avishai
    ). Heavy drinking never resulted in disfellowshipping

Shoshanna, are you just talking about where YOU live? That's a pretty bold statement, I HAVE seen this happen.

Oregon loves it's micros and that includes the Witlesses.

Mmmmmm, Mcmenamins darth porter!!!

• dancnfool_60
    dancnfool_60

This subject kind of goes along with some others such as tattoos and r rated movies. In some areas they are so frowned upon but really are conscience matters.

I have found though when you really start reading the magazsines with a diff view that they will state that things are a conscience matter but then the following paragraphs pretty much try to make your conscince up for you.

they will state that going to bars etc. are a conscience matter however we need to see how others wil view us IF they see us there and will we stumble someone by our conscientious decisions......

I think they need to concentrate a little more on allowing people to use that conscience they way the feel is ok with them and tell others not to get so offended instead of making us all feel guilty if we do decide to do something that is a conscience matter even if others think it is bad.

LIFES TO SHORT - DANCE NAKED AND WIGGLE YOUR ASS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit