JW's and Pubs/Bars

by Heatmiser 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I have noticed on past threads from posters from other countries than the USA that they would be hanging out in Pubs and such while still JW's. In the US I believe that going to bars would pretty much be a DF/DA offense. In other countries is the policy different? Or where you all just going against the WT policies?

I don't have any written proof of WT policies, I am just going off of memory. I knew JW's that wouldn't even go to a bar to use the phone if it was the only one available to use in an emergency situation.

Heatmiser

• Englishman
    Englishman

Heatmiser,

JW's do frequent pubs over here. Leastways, those that enjoy alcoholic beverages do. Remember that "pub" is an abbreviated form of "Public House", that's why many pubs do indeed look like someone's parlour. They are not the same as bars, BTW, my pub is more like the place in "Cheers".

I see dubs in pubs very frequently and it's generally not frowned on. Some dub's come from more puritanical religions, such as Methodists or Baptists and retain their personal disapproval of alcohol and pubs generally, but would be unlikely to voice that disapproval to the persons concerned.

Many male dubs "go for a drink" in the local pub after a meeting, sometimes this becomes a ritual that goes on for years in a favoured pub, even to the extent of them giving the mags to the bar tender every week.

My Dad used to meet up with his fellow elders in "The Load of Hay" every Thursday evening.

Englishman.

Englishman.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Going into bars (US) is not a DF offense. In fact, a JW could be a bartender (I knew one when I was a kid). Heavy drinking never resulted in disfellowshipping, at least not without other forbidden activities involved, on top of the drinking. While frequenting bars could be frowned upon and might result in a social distancing for some, alone it wouldn't even result in "counsel." Where do you draw the line? Most big hotels (where JWs stay for conventions) have bars (heck, the rooms are equipped with "mini-bars"). Lots of restaurants have bars. Lots of bars serve food (like restaurants). Does anyone know of someone who got the boot for the sole reason of going into a bar? Shoshana. Edited to add: That picture of me was taken in a bar...Law students can't live without bars.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Thanks for the good information Englishman.

Anybody else from USA want to fill me in on what you remember of WT's US policy on going to a bar is?

Heatmiser

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Thanks La Capra. I just seem to remember talks about going to bars when I was a kid, and how it was a no-no ect. ect.

Heatmiser

• gumby
    gumby
    In the US I believe that going to bars would pretty much be a DF/DA offense.

As was just mentioned......NO this is not a DFing or DAing offence.

The society warn against these places as they do with any place that is an unhealthy christian enviroment, or can bring reproach on god for being seen there. It warns of the snares of bars, but there is no written law from them that forbids it.

Gumby

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Thanks guys for the replies. I guess all of my JW years I read more into what was put out at the meetings. I remember the only time I went to a sports bar when I was a Jdud, I was scared to death that my old lady would find out or another Jdud would see me leaving the place. I am pretty sure that all of the congregations I attended it would not have been taken lightly if it where known that you went into one.

I think this falls into the catagory of what WT policy is and how it is applied by individual congregations. In my 22 years in I never knew of any JW the went to a bar.

Heatmiser

• ball.
    ball.

Here in the UK, there is quite a distinction between pubs / bars and clubs. This distinction is partly due to licensing rules which allow clubs to open later and raise the age of access or restrict access to members. Night clubs, once known as discos, were most certainly frowned upon when I was a witness. It will be interesting to see how things develop now that licensing laws are changing in the UK, with pubs starting to include dancing and opening later, becuase there is a blurring of the line which has historically made it very clear for witnesses in the UK what was and was not allowed.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I'm right there with you Heatmiser. I always thought that going to a bar would be a DFing offense. I remember the org having a picture (I think in a WT) of a witness contemplating going into a bar and then telling us why we wouldn't want to do it. I just took that to mean, and I'm pretty sure it was implied by the brothers, that, at the very least, it would be a backroomworthy offense.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with where your cong was. From my observations, in the Southern US, the elders were very strict when it came to alcohol. However, in other parts of the country (New England, California), they weren't as strict. I wonder why?

• Sassy
    Sassy

I spent plenty of time with other JWs having drinks in bars/pubs through the years, many times with elders and MSs. Of course we all told each other none of us had 'too much' to drink when we went out.. thus not allowing a guilty conscience...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit