Feb 15 Watchtower: Apostates - Guard Against Deception

by truthseeker 63 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Feb 15 Watchtower: Apostates - Guard Against Deception

Don't you wish this were the real title of the 2nd study article? Well, it is, minus the word apostate. But there is so much crap in this article it makes you want to vomit.

While I will leave consideration of this article to Blondie, I will highlight some very interesting points that the 'faithful and discreet slave' make regarding apostates, and their deceptions.

This article screams apostate. It also goes to prove a point -

You are making a difference...

Quote taken from Feb 15th WT, page 17, para 8 Sadly, apostates succeed in "subverting the faith of some." -

-------------------------------------------------

Feb 15th WT study 2 pages 15-20

paragraph 2

Deception comes in many forms and has crept into all aspects of modern-day life. Media reports abound with examples - politicians lying about their actions, accountants and lawyers overstating their corporate profits, advertisers misleading consumers...Then there is religious deception. The clergy mislead the masses by teaching false doctrines, such as the immortality of the soul, hellfire and the Trinity.

here, para 2 sets the scene. Notice that the Watchtower accuses the clergy of deception and misleading doctrines. Doesn't this sound like the Watchtower themselves?

Next comes the interesting subheading

Guard Against Apostates
    ---------------------------------------

para 6

Satan has long used apostates in his effort to seduce God's servants. Apostates may claim to worship Jehovah and to believe the Bible, but they reject the visible part of God's organization. Some have even returned to the God-dishonoring doctrines of "Babylon the Great," the world empire of false religion. Under divine inspiration, the Bible writers use strong words to expose the motives and methods of apostates.

Of course, dubs are led to believe that Satan is manipulating everyone who has left the organization. Anyone who does not believe in the organization but accepts Jehovah as God and his Word are doomed to die at Armaggedon. It appears that the Watchtower also uses "strong words" to expose the motives and methods of apostates. Raymond Franz describes how in the 80s at Bethel, so called apostates were called "cancerous worms" and "leeches", in addition to being "mentally diseased."

para 7

What is it that apostates want? Most are not content to leave the faith that they once perhaps viewed as true. Often, they want to take others with them. Rather than going out and making disciples, many apostates seek to "draw away the disciples [that is, Christ's disciples] after themselves." Regarding false teachers, the apostle Paul sounded this urgent warning: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey." Does that not describe what many apostates try to do? Like a kidnapper who carries an unsuspecting victim away from his family, apostates prey upon trusting members of the congregation, seeking to carry them away from the flock.

The Watchtower fails to see that most apostates come to their conclusions about how they feel about the society by observing scandals within the organization, inconsistent doctrinal changes; sometimes complete U-Turns in bible understanding. Even people baptized at very young ages, have grown up with 'their own set of doubts' without any outside or internal influence, simply by observing the popular culture of Jehovah's Witnesses. If you were going to buy a used car, would you not want to know the history of the car and the number of owners? Likewise, who would not want to know the origins of the Watchtower Society? If you know this religion is based on lies, why would you not want to warn family and friends. After all, that is why the Society called on you in the first place. Likening apostates to kidnappers is really delving into depths of insanity.

Also, what exactly is a "trusted member of the congregation?"

para 8

What methods do apostates use to achieve their aim? They often resort to distortions, half-truths, and outright falsehoods. Jesus knew that his followers would be victimized by those who would "tell all kinds of evil lies against" them. Such malicious opposers would tell what is not true with the intent to deceive others. The apostle Peter warned about apostates who would use "counterfiet words," spread "deceptive teachings," and "twist the Scriptures" to their own ends. Sadly, apostates succeed in "subverting the faith of some." - 2nd Timothy 2:18

Of course, the Society does not oblige the dubs with any kind of examples of half-truths, distortions or outright lies. How can you avoid these things if you don't know what to categorize them as? Honest hearted ones, to borrow a phrase, will see that the Society's own linterature is what convicts them out of their own mouth.

para 9

How can we guard against being deceived by apostates? By heeding the advice from God's Word, which says: "Keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them." We "avoid them" by steering clear of their reasonings - whether in person, in printed form, or on the Internet. Why do we take such a stand? First, because God's Word directs us to do so, and we trust that Jehovah always has our best interests at heart.

So, buy avoiding disfellowshipped relatives, staying offline, dubs will never know what all these distortions, outright lies and half-truths are.

para 10

Second, we love the organization that has taught us the precious truths that so plainly separate us from Babylon the Great. At the same time, we recognize that our knowledge of God's purpose is not perfect; our understanding has undergone adjustments over the years. Loyal Christians are content to wait on Jehovah for all such refinements. Meanwhile, we will not abandon the organization that God is pleased to use, for we see the clear evidence of his blessing upon it.

Is this a feeble attempt at acknowledging their guilt? Far from it - they recognize the devastating effect their religion and practices have had on their adherents - but still want you to go 'volunteering' by distributing their 'free literature' and attending 5 meetings a week. Where is the evidence that God is pleased with this organization? Where are the blessings?

If a 2.2% increase is Jehovahs blessing, then Jehovah is the most unproductive God there is.

Review question page 20

How can we be on guard against being deceived by apostates?

This article is unbelievable. For all those who are mentally free of this destructive cult and can see the lies and propaganda it is diseminating, you cannot help but feel revulsion over the people that write this bulsh*t.

And the beat goes on....

In the same issue on page 28, under the theme "Fight the fine fight of the faith" the following

subheading and paragraph is as follows:

Enemy Tactics -----------------------

Attack can come from any quarter, and the enemy tries to catch you unawares. Rest assured, though, that Jehovah has supplied all the protection you need. The enemy may aim a blow by attacking Bible truths that are fundamental to your faith. Apostates may use smooth words, flattery, and twisted reasoning to try to defeat you. But the apostate does not have your well being at heart. Proverbs 11:9 notes "By his mouth the one who is an apostate brings his fellowman to ruin, but by knowledge are the righteous rescued."

It would be a mistake to think that you need to listen to apostates or to read their writings to refute their arguments. Their twisted, poisonous reasoning can cause spiritual harm and contaminate your faith like rapidly spreading gangrene. Rather, imitate God's response to apostates, Job said of Jehovah: "Before him no apostate will come in."

Well, all you dubs have been warned! Apostates will only seek to twist your faith and compromise your spirituality.

As if to further offend the minds of former dubs, the little box "In our next issue" lists the following meaty spiritual article that will appear in the March 1st Watchtower

The faifthful slave have passed the test!

Yuck.

Conclusions - it is obvious now that apostasy will soon supercede, if it has not already, the major reason for disfellowshipping. About a year ago, one of you mentioned that a CO said 'apostasy was rampant in the organization.' It is clear that knowledge destroys ignorance in the most profound way.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    we recognize that our knowledge of God's purpose is not perfect; our understanding has undergone adjustments over the years. Loyal Christians are content to wait on Jehovah for all such refinements

Funny how they accuse apostates of teaching things that are not scriptural, without offering any examples, but then turn around and admit to doing the very same thing.

They say "Loyal Christians are content to wait on Jehovah for all such refinements", but the bible says:

*** Galatians 1:8-12 ***
    8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

10 Is it, in fact, men I am now trying to persuade or God? Or am I seeking to please men? If I were yet pleasing men, I would not be Christ?s slave. 11 For I put YOU on notice, brothers, that the good news which was declared by me as good news is not something human; 12 for neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught [it], except through revelation by Jesus Christ.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

*** "Is This Life All There Is?", 1974, Page 46 ***

...God, who is himself "the God of truth" and who hates lies, will not look with favor on persons who cling to organizations that teach falsehood. (Psalm 31:5; Proverbs 6:16-19; Revelation 21:8) And, really, would you want to be even associated with a religion that had not been honest with you?

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds like the information on this DB and many others like it is making an impact. I think there are a lot of people like I was, wondering how the WTS can be God's organization when there was so little love shown, I got my computer, 2 years later got internet, and put in "jehovah's witnesses." I spent 2 years sifting out the "good" from the "bad." I look forward to seeing that article.

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    para 7 What is it that apostates want? Most are not content to leave the faith that they once perhaps viewed as true. Often, they want to take others with them. Rather than going out and making disciples, many apostates seek to "draw away the disciples [that is, Christ's disciples] after themselves." Regarding false teachers, the apostle Paul sounded this urgent warning: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey." Does that not describe what many apostates try to do? Like a kidnapper who carries an unsuspecting victim away from his family, apostates prey upon trusting members of the congregation, seeking to carry them away from the flock.

What absolute garbage!

I am happy to say that I would encourage any dub to see the truth about "the Troof", but to take off disciples after myself???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never may that happen! I became a disciple of Jesus Christ. He is the only one I could recommend following.

But that's so typical of those who rule the Borg - superior, opinionated, malevolent bastards!

• shamus
    shamus
    What methods do apostates use to achieve their aim? They often resort to distortions, half-truths, and outright falsehoods. Jesus knew that his followers would be victimized by those who would "tell all kinds of evil lies against" them. Such malicious opposers would tell what is not true with the intent to deceive others.

The people who are lying is the WTBTS. I could give one damm about people leaving because of me. I don't want to take anyone... just myself. If others want information, I will gladly pass it on to them, just as any person would when it comes to a destructive cult.

The Jehovahs Witnesses are really desperate here. They are trying to make everyone paranoid. Whatever....

I have better things to do with my life. Thank god I am out of that religion. If I do die at this "armageddon", then so be it. I would rather be dead than live with witnesses. God can bring this typing up at my judgment hour. I am beyond caring.

• Room 215
    Room 215

So ludicrous that I hesitate to comment on the grounds of dignifying such drivel as being worthy of a temperate response. Where is there a shred of evidence of an organized apostate activism obsessed with harassing JWs and dragging them out of their precious Mama's embrace? Where are the specifics -- the who, what and why of the Great Apostasy?

Personally, nobody thrust a copy of Crisis of Conscience under my nose; I had to seek it out in my effort to get to the bottom of what went on in Bethel during the now-infamous Witch Hunt of the 80s. As anyone who's troubled to seek him out, it's not an exaggeration to say that Ray Franz, while welcoming of efforts to contact him, is almost reclusive in demeanor and this is more the rule than the exception among the more prominent of the disaffected.

• shamus
    shamus

Room 215,

I find it funny that more have not commented on this thread. I am just spellbound by the ludicrousness of the Watchtower, and how they keep people under they're control.

If I was in the government, I would be keeping a close eye on the witnesses. They are proving themselves to be a very dangerous high-control group indeed. One day they will shoot themselves in the foot, and nobody will be there to help them out.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Wow. This ranks up there with these idiots going after the Judges who don't rule in the WTS's favour. I think that was the March 1, 2002 or 2003 WTS if memory serves. Of course Our Kingdom Ministry of August 2002 (p. 3 and 4) on how to treat family members who have been df'ed or da'ed is just as disgusting.

Yep those evil Apostates like Vicki Boer, Barb Anderson, Joe Anderson, Bill Bowen, Mike Moss who are only trying to protect little kids lives from child molesters etc ....

And why just look who acted like Babylon the Great when the Watchtower decided to voluntarily partner with the UN's Department of Public Information as an "associated non governmental organization" and who voluntarily agreed to support the UN's charter (which allows for war such as Korean conflict that killed about 2 million) and disiminate the UN's literature from about Februrary 2002 to October 2001.

What I read here is creed bigotry at its worst. Just like the Aryian Nation using the bible to justify going after African Americans/Canadians and Jewish Americans/Canadian just because they have a different skin colour or creed.

I wonder how JWs feel to be compared to a group like the Aryian Nation?

hawk

• Englishman
    Englishman
    What is it that apostates want ?

Heh. Idiots. The WT made their bed with their own unscriptural shunning policies. Now they're whining because so-called "apostates", having been forcibly separated from their loved one's, are exposing them for what they are!

I love that bit about the "Organisation" on Earth. I never could find that expression in the Bible.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit