Are there any doctrines which all Christian religions follow.

by jwfacts 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I cannot think of a single doctrine that is so clearly laid out in the Bible that every Christian sect teaches the same point. Are there any doctrine where there is total consensus amongst all Christian religions, including Jehovah's Witnesses?

• schnell
    schnell

They all believe you live and die. So there's that.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    They all believe you live and die

Depending on your definition of dying, they don't even agree on that.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    They all believe you live and die

Not Jehovah's Witnesses, they believe that they will not die. Also, many believe in the coming rapture, where they are taken directly to heaven.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

off the top of my head I'd say the resurrection of Jesus. although this is interpreted differently regarding what Jesus was resurrected as, all christians do believe he was resurrected, I think

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

If there was it would have to do with financially supporting the Christian religion of your choice.

• schnell
    schnell

I got nothin', if everything comes down to varying definitions (which is your point, of course).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There are probably some things all people who call themselves Christians believe, but we don't call them doctrines because the word doctrine tends to include the idea of a distinctive belief in the term itself.

Probably all Christians believe Jesus was the messiah for example. And all Christians believe God exists. Christians believe humans are sinful in some sense.

Unitarians are perhaps the outliers who would test even some of these basic beliefs. But then we could ask what it mean to be a Christian anyway and do liberal Unitarians qualify. Does anyone who calls themselves a Christian get to be defined as Christian, regardless if they deny sin, Jesus and even God himself? If so it all becomes a bit meaningless trying to define doctrines or groups or anything.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Love thy neighbour? Not a doctrine of course and I guess even this is questionable as Jw"'s have to then "define" who their neighbour is.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    I can't think of any Christian denominations who disagree that there is going to be a resurrection of the dead.

Of course there are serious contentions as to where people will be resurrected, and also when.

Many are taught that immediately they die, (including the J.W.'s 144,000) they will come to life in heaven. These teachings create problems when set against what the following scriptures:

(Psalm 37:9,11,29) ".......will possess the earth.....11..the meek will possess the earth.....29.....The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

(Revelation 21:3, 4) "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. (people - not resurrected spirit creatures) And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away." (these "former things" never existed in heaven)

(John 6:39,40,44,54) "........that I should resurrect them on the last day.......40......and I will resurrect him on the last day."..44...and I will resurrect him on the last day.....54 ....and I will resurrect him on the last day."

(John 11:24) "Martha said to him: "I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit