Are there any doctrines which all Christian religions follow.

by jwfacts 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Slimboyfat that is a good question you brought out about what Unitarian Universalist believe. Since UU's is mostly a mix of many beliefs they follow what they call "Seven Principals". Which are "The inherent worth and dignity of every person, Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations; Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations; A free and responsible search for truth and meaning; The right of conscience and use of democratic process within our congregations and in society at large; The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all; Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we all a part. For me I wish most of the Christian religions would follow these Principals over there doctrines. Still Totally ADD

• btlc
    btlc

All christian religions recognize each other as christians by teaching that Jesus is God, and by accepting The Holy Trinity. That's the main filter which JW, mormons, etc. can not pass, so they are not consider as "christians" by others.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I think there is something more universal than those things found only in Christianity. This would be primarily the incentive for good social behaviour driven by a spiritual reward and some form of censure or punishment if you fail.

However the thing which got up the nostrils of the Roman authorities was the fact that chrestians (sic) that is "good" men or street preachers, in the first century began to teach that the saviour character of traditional (pagan) religious drama had magically come to life as a living man. This absurdity was beyond the pale for educated people but was the defining and mind boggling belief for those who later were called christians.

The NT is in part an apologia or defence for this doctrine, notably as is found in the Letter to the Hebrews. So perhaps the universal Christian belief is that Jesus or technically the Saviour character, became flesh. Consequent to this, as the story goes, he also died and was resurrected. . . justifying the equal absurdity of a universal but qualified resurrection for all.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Basic idea of john 3:16

Grace by Christ

As always interpretation will vary

:0)

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

BTLC - I don't think you can say "all" Christian religions. Christadelphians don't accept the trinity dogma and they are accepted as "Christians" by other denominations. There are others, such as Oneness Pentecostals.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Christadelphians accepted as Christians?

Even ecumenical movements tend to insist on adherence to the Nicene Creed as a minimum for inclusion which excludes JWs, Mormons, Christadelphians, but includes Seventh Day Adventists.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Jw leaks stated the number 1 reason for any religion. Money, I will add, power and a comfortable life style for it's leaders.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I would say that most religions would subscribe to the doing of good and "love your neighbor as yourself".

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I cannot think of a single doctrine that is so clearly laid out in the Bible that every Christian sect teaches the same point. Are there any doctrine where there is total consensus amongst all Christian religions, including Jehovah's Witnesses?

Yes, there is. Hate.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP.

How about the existence of God - surely all Christian groups believe that God exists?

Or is that not a doctrine? It may have a tenuous link to doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit