Summer convention "warnings"

by got my forty homey? 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Really, the whole fact that we needed to have such Talmudic reminders is a sad testimony to the real state of affairs. They would always chalk it up to "all the new ones" in the organization, who presumably did not yet know that trampling others to get a seat was not kosher. But it just so happens that the US has had virtually 0% growth for many years, and the KM is produced on a branch-by-branch basis.

So the only real reason for all the reminders has to be that Witnesses are incredibly selfish, and that they do turn the continental breakfasts into contintental lunches and dinners, and that they do reserve rooms at five hotels before choosing one at the last minute, and that they are a bunch of mean-spirited people who need to be forced to leave a tip!

Ha! And I thought it was only the little towns I grew up in!

SNG

• jws
    jws
    Wear your badges at all times when in the convention city, in order to give some sort of witness.

That sounds like a great idea for the next assembly. I'm sure somebody can post a scan of a badge which can be duplicated on a home printer. I still have an old badge-holder. Dress like a JW and put your badge on and go into a bar or strip club closest to the convention, carrying your bible and song book. Tell the bartender or stripper you're from the convention and it was getting boring and you needed a break. Have a few drinks, smoke a cigar, and look for other convention-goers who are also having a break.

Or, have a drink and light up at one of the hotels they're using (with badge on and bible/song book in hand) and see how many dirty looks you get. If anyone approaches, slip your badge into your pocket and refuse to identify yourself. How long do you think they'll spend trying to figure out what hall you're from to discipline you?

• Purple
    Purple

My favorite was the instructions about when we should and shouldnt go and use the bathroom. Of course they are not into controlling everything one says or does...not in the slightest.....hey I saw that snigger! COme on people this is not about control in any way.....you will say az we say and think az we will want you to think....you vill pay dearly if you do not follow deze orders......send him to ze cooler to think about hiz errant ways...we have ways of making you talk you know......we have ways of making you think what we want you to think......oh and its all in ze good book so we have ze faith that thiz is correct way of thinking and doing things........in no way similar to what they used to do to people in concentration camps...hey I said in now way similar.. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE FOOLING??????? It purely about control.

• Red Witch
    Red Witch

I can't remember anyone saving rows of seats with rope, and wouldn't understand why the hell they would!

When assemblies were held in open stadiums, huge blocks of seats were always roped off by ??? in the shady areas, so those of us who arrived at the appropriate 'open' time were sh*t out of luck. Pretty miserable as a kid all dressed up sitting in the hot summer sun at yankee stadium.

• Big Shooter
    Big Shooter

LMAO..... !!

The best was one of the parts before an assembly relating an experience that there were reports of someone that was going to be baptized with a towel in his hand that had the "Holiday Inn" logo on it and how we should never take things from a hotel where we were staying.

I also remember my brother getting counseled because he stayed at the Sheraton Inn during convention time because it wasnt on the designated rooming list.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

At Dodger Stadium, the biggest thrill was getting seats on the club level (always in the shade). The people you could always see there were the big shot elders. One thing I give my dad credit for is that he never sat up there, but then again he was always in the Spanich kitchen under the left field pavillion (back in the days when they actually made food for the J-Dubs).

When we moved to New Mexico, we were always assigned to Amarillo, TX. We only saved seats for the family (8 of us usually). One time when I was saving seats for the family an overzealous elder came down to hassle me. I turned and faced him, and before he said anything his face turned white and he siad that he mistook me for someone else. This puzzled me (an adult male J-Dub differing to a 17 year old) till I realized that I had my badge on and that he realized who my father was by my last name and the Cong. that I attended.

Anyway, for the most part I enjoyed the conventions. My parents always allowed me to go to the amusement park (in Amarillo) on Friday night. I think they understood the need to have some fun, and if I zonked out for a bit on Saturday, no biggie. Afterall my dad slept through most of the convention anyway, lol.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

# What I remember most about the Conventions is that we were not able to afford family vacations, so when we went to these gatherings, it was considered like a "vacation"--because it was the only time we got to travel a little and see new surroundings. The only thing is we had to sit for hours every day, and we didn't ever visit any of the local places of interest. Everything centered around making certain we took in every word of the spiritual food. I usually took notes for those that couldn't make it.#

I had the same situation here. Having five kids, costly vacations were a luxury, and DIDN'T the stinking District Conventions ALWAYS fall when hubby's vacation from work was scheduled!!! GRR! I'd be off to wherever with JW friends, and he'd be off fishing and relaxing either alone or with HIS friends...it really stunk.

We were just discussing this the other day....watching something on TV showing some exquisite gardens and other features of Toronto...and I said "I had BEEN in Toronto, and didn't remember that! Well..DUH....I only saw the inside of the Copps Coliseum, the motel and any restaurants we stopped at while dead tired and definetly NOT in a "travellin' frame of mind" with five boistrous kiddies....

I've been in a LOT of cities that I probably would not have travelled to ordinarily, other than going to conventions, but I don't recall ANY sightseeing or side-trips to be enjoyed----all buiness-as-usual concerning (cough) KINGDOM interests......

hugs,

Travellin' Annie......who saw a LOT of motels in VA, WVa, PA, MA, NY and Canada with my five kids!

• Big Shooter
    Big Shooter

Good ole Copps Coliesuem.. been there, done that!!!

• Jahna
    Jahna

Copps was miles better then those outside events at London. My first London convention was the first one that banned strollers. It was very hot for me and my 4 mth old son.

Jahna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit