Would human settlement of Mars invalidate Bible prophecy?

by truthseeker 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

respectful_observer,

If Satan and his demons were cast down (and restricted) to the earthly realm in 1914, does that mean if humans started a colony on Mars that Satan and his demons would be unable to influence them?

Actually, the way the Watchtower explains it is that the 'vicinity' of the Earth refers to the whole universe as opposed to heaven which is outside our universe.

• waton
    waton

the way the Watchtower explains it is that the 'vicinity' of the Earth refers to the whole universe

new to me, any references?

WITH ALL THE RESTRAINT THAT THE EQUIPMENT WILL IMPOSE there, WHO NEEDS SATANIC INFLUENCE TO FEEL STRESSED?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Why settle on Mars..2 Peter3;9-10 He will destroy this present universe and create a New heaven and earth. Why

not wait, but it's dumb to destroy the universe when there is no one out there..

• waton
    waton

He will destroy this present universe and create a New heaven and earth

do not take that too seriously, he did not flood the ancient Heavens and Earth either, Everest, kangaroos and all.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That's why I can not believe a damn thing in that book."do not take that too seriously"...

• Half banana
    Half banana

Thank you David J, for your considered and informative explanation which confirms my own comment dismissing the validity of the question initially proposed.

I had the pleasure of finding two JWs (lambs to the slaughter) at the front of my house last Saturday while I was engaged in that oh so very JW pursuit; cleaning windows.

The bro wanted to tell me something from the Bible and I replied "Why would you want to look at that book?" He told me it was the word of God and I said,"Why would you believe that?" He said with a smile, "Prophecy". When I asked him to show me one prophecy which has come true which would make me believe in the Bible, he pondered and fumbled and said it was a big book! I did hammer him with a bunch of Biblical absurdities but it was significant that he bore the foundationless belief in Bible prophecy as a principle for his religion. Bible and prophecy go hand in hand in the fundamentalist's mind. Prophecy indeed has an emotional religious trigger for faith... but it is true only in the imagination of the believer.

• kpop
    kpop

To All Congregations Around the World,

We are happy to announce that we have voted and have found NEW LIGHTâ„¢! The "Two Witnesses" now represent 1) the earth and 2) Mars where Jehovah will establish a new kingdom.

Warning: If you do not agree with us you will be disfellowshipped.

Please post this on the information board until we decide to change our minds again.

Agape Christian Love,

Your Brothers

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Half banana,

Remember the song...?

We're Jehovah's Witnesses./We speak out in fearlessness.
    Ours is the God of true prophecy;/What he foretells comes to be.

The whole Mars thing would really screw up their theology.

I will say it once again: JWs have reduced the Bible to a crystal ball and made God into a fortune teller. This is why I laugh at them why they lie and say "we are not here in this religion based on the setting of any daste, whether we predicted one right or not." Uh, yes you are! Your theme song says so.

No wonder many of us upon leaving might still think the Bible claims to map out the future for the earth! It's all the Witnesses claim it to be. I have even heard brothers state that God won't allow space colonization until after Satan has been destroyed to ensure the "test upon humanity" plays out right.

• TD
    TD

David_Jay

If you were to rate the various tenets of fundamentalism from least to most outrageous, where would you place its view of prophecy?

For example, would it be above or below the idea that the sixty-six book bible is a single contiguous work from cover to cover? Would it be above or below typology and allegorical interpretation?

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

TD,

Now that would definitely take this thread off in a different direction. That should be the subject of a different thread entirely.

Also, while I will comment on what the Jewish view is of a certain thread's subject in connection with JW theology, and some supplementary material might spring from that, my personal opinion is rarely given. Some people have thought I was giving my personal views, even on Judaism, but this isn't always the case. I often don't subscribe to what I've added. It's data that I think can help, and it's usually given in an objective manner. Usually.

On another thread I could tell you what Judaism views about a certain subject, but I wouldn't always include my personal opinion (sometimes because I have none). Rating various tenets of Christian Fundamentalist theology according to my personal isn't something I think would be of benefit to anyone. Who am I to do that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit