Anointed Class? What Anointed Class?

by never_a_jw 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Playing with mad man in anyway which indicates you think they might be taking them seriously just allows them to sustain their delusions with even greater ease - Abaddon, 31-Dec-03 10:58 GMT

I do not know whether JCanon believes himself to be a messiah, or not, but Simon says "everyone is welcome" providing they follow the guidelines and who am I (or you) to decide otherwise. Further, by taking JCanon seriously it turned out that rather than believing Russell was a Jew, he believed Russell had German-Jewish ancestry, which (whether or not it is true of Russell) is true of many thousands of Americans.

Further, on a forum such as this it is encumbent on us to put ourselves in the other persons shoes and try to see where they are coming from. I do not find that either his shoes or your shoes fit very well, but with a bit of a squeeze it is possible to understand both points of view.

Earnest

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Earnest, a cool reply.

Well, either JCanon lies about thinking he's Christ, he he thinks he's Christ.

I have a friend with the same problem. I confront him about it, show him the absurdity of his 'proofs', try to get him to seek professional help. I don't think it's healthy to do otherwise, as it's a mental illness.

I'd have equal fun playing with him and seeing how the wheels go around in his head, but he's a nutter, it's not fair to do that to him.

LT:

In the face of the wealth of anecdotal evidence that there is a Divine to connect to, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Different perspective; I consider "wealth of anecdotal evidence" to be an oxymoron. How can something unsubstansive be considered wealth?

For a bonus prize, what was god's intention in making the choice of what path to follow to one of irreducable complexity?

Ah, that would be a religious perspective, again.

Yup; and god is allowing the relgious perspective to hold sway; the buck stops with god, it's very simple.

...is it true that all paths lead to god?

Dunno. It'd be nice, huh?

On the basis of the evidence, if one assumes that god's morality is in any way comprehensible to us, then all paths do lead to god if there is one. If god has different morality to us, then there might be a single hard-to-find way and most of us, even those with the best intentions are screwed.

You're reading a book at the moment that suggests that may be possible.

I'm reading a book where the operating premise is absurd, and thus everything following on from it is unsatisfactoryily based.

Or do the people who have randomly guessed which is the right path win?

I guess that would depend on whether or not God actually makes first contact.

Wasn't that the film with Jodi Foster in it?

If that is the case, then it's not as random as it would seem.

Calvanism, ugh splutter!

If all paths lead to god, then surely religion is a parasite?

Sure, they can all be abused, and for that reason I hate religion for it's own sake. Yet, in it's proper place I believe it has a function.

Yeah, causing macro-problems whilst encouraging beneficial micro-behaviours that can come about without religion. File with 'chocolate kettle'.

Isn't being good enough?

By who's standard?

Ah, come on, human cultures generally hold with pair-bonds, property, and the sanctity of life, for the simple reason societies that did not support these features would do less well than those that did. Thus asking questions about 'good by whose standards' is just ignoring that - irrespective of religion - there is a massive level of agreement worldwide on what is 'good'. Dodging the bullet doesn't mean it didn't leave the gun. The question stands; "Isn't being good enough?"

I'm sure you realise this question carries within it the implication that if specific standards WERE required, then it is illogical that someone would be punished for following them if it was more-or-less impossible to make a choice between the various standards presented to us... yes, of course one can say 'faith should guide us', but on a day-to-day basis in terms of diferentiation between various belief's validity, one may as well say 'guessing should guide us'. I consi9der that to be absurd; Einstein said "God doesn't play dice with the Universe". I say a god worthy of worship doesn't make existance an absurd game of uncertainty.

Why is the communication of god's message and the 'brand identity' of god worse than that of a product dealt with by a PR agent based on a 486DX33 running out of a bedsit in Clapham? Surely god could get the Saachi's in? Or Max Clifford?

Maybe we're just very good at missing the point, if the point is merely to connect to God sometime, somehow, during the course of the pilgrimage we call life.

LT, in my relationship with my parents, I am the adult, they are the cultists. I have greater responsibility than them. In the relationship between god and humanity it can reasonably be asserted that god has greater responsibility than humans. Therefore to put the blame of not 'getting the point' at the door of humanity is to miss the point that a/ if there is a god, it's his responsibility, and b/ if his plan isn't working in terms of delivering his message (ignore the fact that, being god, he should get things right first time round), then it's gods responsibility to change the plan.

What happens if a new product is marketed unsuccessfully? Do they sack the consumer or the guy in charge of marketing?

If life is a gift (this life or the next) who are we to declare that there are classes?

Ah, but that's entering a set of conceptions of god which allow partiality and churlishness. If there is a better way, all the comments regarding clarity of choice being gods responsibility still apply, and failure to make the choice clear (in terms of proof, belief's EASY) would be god's responsibility, and punishing humans for his ommision an act that I find inconveivable for a just creator.

In John's vision it seems everyone was together.

Yeah, apart from those who were anti-typical toast...! And in Dante's vision there's definately a smoking section - right next to the burning section, and I see NOTHING to distinguish the two works in terms of veracity!

Proof is in the eye of the beholder.
    One man's meat is another man's poison.

Precisely; like Charlie Manson's race-holocaust was in his 'eye', not in the Beatle's White Album.

Why is there always a convenient excuse? Why are people so eager to believe on the basis of eviddence they would not accept as good enough to justify the investment 5 grand?

I'd stake my life on it, as many before me have.

Yes, lots of 'its', lots of dead people; god happy yet? Of course, I don;t think that god could be happy in that situation, which is why I feel the way I do. Many conceptions of god unfortunately, when analysed carefully, reveal god to be an utter git, at the very best.

Is there anything in life you'd stake your life on?

No, I've always thought the sentence "I'd die for xyz" as a good example of foggy thinking. Obviously in defending self, family or loved ones, I'd put myself in risky situations if required. But I would rather phrase it as "I'd kill for xyz" - positive thinking, don'tchaknow?

All these and the classic much much more are reasons why I feel religion is bunk

Me too, but then I differentiate between religion and spirituality.

Pity god doesn't make it clear he does!

Just a few views. I hope it helps you understand my perspective.
    As usual, I enjoy your posts. Thought provoking, albeit occasionally confrontational/caustic.

Oh, and I enjoy this too, it's fun discussing stuff with you.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Badboy:
    He was on the Isle of Harris, where his impending return caused such an uproar amidst the local population that the authorities reconsidered returning him there.
    He could be anywhere, now.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Abaddon:
    One of these bright days I'll get over to the Netherlands (probably on EasyJet) and hopefully get to meet ya

I started posting and lost it all

I'm glad you're filing this stuff someplace, especially since chocolate is so important to the wellbeing of the planet

The common thread of your post seems to be that unless God meets your preconceived ideas of what He should be like, or what standards He adheres to, then He isn't worth squat.
    I'm glad you don't hold humans in such low regard, regardless of their cultural differences.

If God used evolution in the creation process, why shouldn't there be some kind of "natural selection" used in man taking the next step of the process? This is regardless of how mankind has interpreted these "nudges" from the divine.
    You think this less humane than your own philosophy on the subject???

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"Oh senseless man, who cannot possibly make a worm, and yet will make Gods by dozens." Michel de Montaigne

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    The common thread of your post seems to be that unless God meets your preconceived ideas of what He should be like, or what standards He adheres to, then He isn't worth squat.
    I'm glad you don't hold humans in such low regard, regardless of their cultural differences.

If God used evolution in the creation process, why shouldn't there be some kind of "natural selection" used in man taking the next step of the process? This is regardless of how mankind has interpreted these "nudges" from the divine.
    You think this less humane than your own philosophy on the subject???

Of course. Under the concept you are arguing for, whereby there is some form of 'ineffable plan' whereby we are sorted according to our deeds, god is playing a game we may not even know exists with dice thrown in a place we cannot see, scored by one of a multiplicity of sets of rules which we cannot differentiate between.

Is that humane?

Is that fair?

Either there is some 'after-life fudge factor' whereby any inequality in 'message delivery' or 'receptiveness to message' caused by geographical, cultural, or other factors to do with our background is eliminated from our final 'score' OR a lot of people suffer disadvantage just through the ineficientcy of the communication of the 'message' - which is god's 'fault'.

I find it inconcievable that god would allow humans to suffer disadvantage just through the happenchance of whether they heard and were receptive to 'the message'; 'cause that's all it is Little Toe, happenchance. That's my conscience speaking, and I'll gladly stand behind it come what may. I do not assume that IF there is a creator he's worthy of worship; I assume IF there is a creator I should only worship him if he is worthy of worship in my eyes, otherwise they'd be no point.

Hell, what if god's the bad totalitarian 'use your free will the way I want you too' dude and Satan is actually the 'hang on, freewill that can only be used one way without suffering eventual harm is a poisened chalice, and is certainly not real freewill' dude, but we've been force-fed the propoganda of the bad guy? In the world of belief such a possibility must be considered.

Turning back to the idea of there being an after-life fudge factor, unfortunately, the idea of there being some archangelic committee on positive discrimination ("Okay, he was a cannibal, but he was a nice cannibal who had never heard of Jesus, I think we can grant him size B wings after a thousand years of purgatory and assign him as a guardian angel to household pets if he keeps his nose clean") is also quite ludicrous to me... it's like some lame Hollywoord B movie that re-runs the plot of 'Heaven Can Wait'.

It the creator can't come up with a better system, then maybe Universe plc needs a better manager?

I jest of course. I find it more likely that there be no god than god either be unjust or inefficient and flawed.

In a way, if god exists, I conceive of it as more perfect than your conceptions, which are very flawed and presuppositionalistic. Yeah, I have preconceptions about standards of justice; you have the presupposition that god exists in some way alligned with Christian scripture and base your defence of very shakey logic on this preconception.

That's not your fault, of course; it's religion's fault.

But, if you truely ARE looking to god through spirit rather than relgion, why all the presuppositions? Surely you need to open your heart to god as he is to you as god can only be logically entact and comprehensible to people on an individual basis. You seem to stir in too much residual 'religious' beliefs that cannot be logically entact or comprehensible to any other than an elect few - with the election being by chance of birth, which is an absurdity.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm going to hang in there and argue on the evolution viewpoint, for a moment, because it's a philosophy that I hadn't thought much about before my recent reply to you, and I'd like the thrash it out a bit to see if it has any validity as a position (if you don't mind, that is?):

Election by virtue of accident of birth is no more absurd than the premise of "natural selection".

If man is evolving in their ability to "connect with the divine" (interpreted as "anointing", due to the often overwhelming nature of "first contact"), then it appears entirely feasible that some will and some wont succeed. Maybe some can and some cant, though I suspect the ability is inhernet in each of us, should it be awakened.
    It's got less to do with justice, and more to do with "this is just the way it is". That seems to have worked pretty well for the last few million years. Why, now that man has "intelligence", does that suddenly become injust?

What's humane about a lion killing a terrified gazelle for food, or a spider paralysing it's prey before sucking it's innards out, or many of the parasitic feeding processes we see in the natural world about us.
    Hence, we can dispense with the "humane God" image for a moment, as God isn't a human anyhow.

I hypothesise that there are at least three things that appear to be inherited "awarenesses" in the human psyche (whether or not they are rationally refuted by an individual, later in life, may be another matter):

• There is something "greater" than themselves, which created that which they see around them
    • This life is too short, and there must be some kind of "afterlife"
    • Somehow they fall short or are inadequate in some measure, often leading to some kind of guilt in life (which I will grant has been exploited by religion)

Heck, maybe I have that in reverse, and the "rational mind" is the higher state of evolution. However I'm inclined to believe that the rational mind was a necessary step in the comprehension and usage of a "spiritual" connection.

As it happens my opinions have been reached experientially (through the "Spirit"), I just find affirmation of them through the experiences of others who took the time to write down their thoughts in years gone by.
    For all that I would state my position as being reasonably Calvinistic, I think I'm granted a little eclecticism, given where I've come from and the strides made so far.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

LT:

I'm going to hang in there and argue on the evolution viewpoint, for a moment, because it's a philosophy that I hadn't thought much about before my recent reply to you, and I'd like the thrash it out a bit to see if it has any validity as a position (if you don't mind, that is?):

Election by virtue of accident of birth is no more absurd than the premise of "natural selection".

Problem one is you are trying to bolt a supercharged V12 F1 engine to an ox cart. This has worked as well for proponents of Intelligent Design as it would in real life...

*snap, crash, ping, strange noise combining squashy ox type charateristics with hard metalic characteristics*

But let's see how far up the flag pole it gets, I too understand the fun of playing with an idea...

If man is evolving in their ability to "connect with the divine" (interpreted as "anointing", due to the often overwhelming nature of "first contact"), then it appears entirely feasible that some will and some wont succeed. Maybe some can and some cant, though I suspect the ability is inhernet in each of us, should it be awakened.
    • No consideration of other explanations behind the anecdotal experience you describe as 'first contact'.
    • No consideration of similar but contradictory (i.e. incompatible with your beliefs) anecdotal experiences other people have.
    • Superimpostion of a theory of evolutionary biology upon a pre-existant theologcal theory; you are in effect saying that god has no more regard for humans than for diplodoci, and that the misfortunes of our immortal souls visited upon us by happenchance of birth are no more important to god than the misfortune of an single individual of a non-sentient, non-immortal souled species dying due to some defecit of evoltuionary development. I don't see how you can compare an animal dying as part of the chain of life to a human ending their physical life and be eternally disadvantaged.
    It's got less to do with justice, and more to do with "this is just the way it is". That seems to have worked pretty well for the last few million years. Why, now that man has "intelligence", does that suddenly become injust?

Woah... don't make false linkages. Evolution 'just is'. You don't run fast enough, you're dinner. Fair is not a concept in it. To imply that it is is to make a strawman argument. We are told god created us in his image, and you are in effect telling me that god somehow gave us a concept of fairness (any class of kids anywhere in the world will be able to prove that humans have an instinct for fairness), whilst making us in his image when he in fact doesn't have a concept of fairness? If we hold that sentient creatures have different rights to non-sentient creatures, god should according to the Bible understand and agree with this.

What's humane about a lion killing a terrified gazelle for food, or a spider paralysing it's prey before sucking it's innards out, or many of the parasitic feeding processes we see in the natural world about us.

Nothing, they don't have to be; you're maing a false linkage/strawman.

Hence, we can dispense with the "humane God" image for a moment, as God isn't a human anyhow.

I disagree with your assertion for the scriptual reasons I have given. You have no scriptual basis for your assertions, no Malachi 3:7;

"And with each generation man shall draw closer unto god. (8) And hard luck is it unto those that are less evolved than others in their sense of spiritual connectedness with god, (9) for they shalt verily have the shitty end of the stick, and shalt gnash their teeth as they will be fully aware they are at an eternal disadvantage purely through accident of birth (unlike the beasts of the field who are not aware and whose thought dieth when they die, having not an invisable bit that carries on), (10) and that god giveth not a stuff about being fair, as although he has implaneted the concept in man's mind he practises fairness not.
    I hypothesise that there are at least three things that appear to be inherited "awarenesses" in the human psyche (whether or not they are rationally refuted by an individual, later in life, may be another matter):
    There is something "greater" than themselves,

... come on Little Toe. You can connect me up to the right equipment, stimulate my brain in the right way, and I will have a religious experience; to an individual perception is reality, but does that mean that perceptions per se are reality?

which created that which they see around them
    This life is too short, and there must be some kind of "afterlife"

... there is?... you have proof...? That's a big suppostion to base a theory on, a bit like 'up quarks are made of cheese'... which of course you could prove one way or the other, whereas your suposition is not provable

Somehow they fall short or are inadequate in some measure, often leading to some kind of guilt in life

... you counter this one for me!;

(which I will grant has been exploited by religion)

... but in additon fail to consider that 'guilt' is an evolved instinct warning someone they have exceeded the social paramaters of the culture they are enculturated by and possibly risk sanctions for their behaviour. Looked at like that I'm sure other animals have a 'concept' of 'guilt', as without it social groups would be impossible as an individual organism would not know when it was in danger of having itself expelled from a group.

Heck, maybe I have that in reverse, and the "rational mind" is the higher state of evolution.

Well, as relgion came FIRST and rationality came SECOND, it's a reasonable argument!

However I'm inclined to believe that the rational mind was a necessary step in the comprehension and usage of a "spiritual" connection.

Of course; you're inclined to support anything which fits in with your 'theory of world', which is god based.

I also am inclined to support things which fit in with my theory of world, which is not god based.

The difference lies in the paradigms we use for evaluating what is good evidence for shaping our theory of world and what is bad evidence for shaping our theory of world. We differ there greatly.

As it happens my opinions have been reached experientially (through the "Spirit"), I just find affirmation of them through the experiences of others who took the time to write down their thoughts in years gone by.
    For all that I would state my position as being reasonably Calvinistic, I think I'm granted a little eclecticism, given where I've come from and the strides made so far.

The only thing Calvanism has going for it is a slightly higher degree of internal logic than some other Christian varients. But Jehovah's Witnesses have a high degree of internal logic in their beliefs! In both cases, once one has taken a few beliefs on, the 'payload' is delivered.

I view it as analogous to the way a virus works; once through the immune system (when someone conceeds a point is 'reasonable'), a meme, or religous belief, can unwrap it's destructive payload, just as a virus (computer or otherwise) does. One minute you conceed, yes, well, God may do that... the next you might agree that it's reasobale to watch children die for want of blood... or for god to condemn people to an unsatisfactory and deficient afterlife through accident of birth. 'Cause heaven, by Calvanistic ideas, must be a very white European place... and I can't believe that god operates a colour bar, can you?

You see LT, one thing which I think you really need to consider is that anything that can be modified in a generational manner and have these modifications passed on intact or even improved upon can evolve. An idea can evolve if it has a vector in which to evolve, as surely as a virus can.

Science evolves all the time. So do religious idea. And whilst the scientific evidentary paradigm is like some 'check' system, the religious belief paradigm has no equivalent 'check' system. Thus a religous idea can exist forever as it is impossible to prove wrong; the ones that can be proved wrong die out, just like an animal that is unfit dies out.

You, in your battle to find god, are paradoxically fighting through millenia of highly evolved religious theories that are resistant to testing using the paradigms you use, and in fact seem totally reasonable when viewed internally as you seem to be doing.

As long as you are willing to accept that we have to base our immortal soul's fate on less evidence than we use to plan our pensions, and that this is 'reasonable', it is obviously very hard for you to change your viewpoint.

Other people have decided that it is NOT unreasonable to ask for reasonable proof, realise that individual perceptions are way too flakey to use as a basis for anything, and are highly suspicious of anything which requires them to believe things which are not proveable and which are only attestable to by subjective experience, as they realise that surrendering to a belief like that is like sticking your head in a bear trap.

You might decide to stick your head in a bear trap, but it'll be the last decison you make due to the efficient and developed design of bear-traps; not because bear-traps are 'true'.

All the best; it would be great to meet up one day.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sadly, you barely address my points directly at all. You have sidestepped my points almost consistently.
    I didn't call upon the support of biblico-religious traditions, merely scientic analysis of a "theory". That is, after all, the scientific method. v12, indeed - tut, tut, tut - I prefer the Porsche, 3 litre, flat six! It really makes the draw bars zing.
    I also intentionally didn't offer any proofs - I'm trying to sketch out the bones, first.

Bear with me, and add this angle:

• Given a blank sheet, the current scientific view of evolution, and a pile of anecdotal psychic phenomina (which for the minute, lets just accept as true - feel free to pull the rug on that one, later).
    • In addition, add the three "inherent" traits of man's thinking, and take them as a given since they have influenced the course of humanity for millenia.
    • Add also the apparent trend for people to return to the mystical, almost in rebellion of the straitjacket of scientific process laid upon "modern" thought (given that we appear to be moving into a post-modern era).

Basically, I'm trying to grapple with the concept of Intelligent Design, but taking it beyond merely the animal kingdom. Currently, I suspect your reaction to that idea is no different than that of Creationists.

I've not once encouraged anyone to adhere to a given set of beliefs, or to join a religion, hence your analogies are misdirected.
    I also haven't stated anything about any negative connotations due for living a life that is unsuccessful in making a "connection".

However, I loved your addendum to Malachi

Cheers,
    Ross.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi LT:

Sadly, you barely address my points directly at all. You have sidestepped my points almost consistently.

I didn't mean to... maybe I got carrried away...

I didn't call upon the support of biblico-religious traditions, merely scientic analysis of a "theory".

I realise you weren't trying to prove the Bible per se. But your theory has theological, logical, and scientific considerations.

Scientifically, it falls flat for the reasons I've outline. Just my opinion.

Theologically it calls into question most major conceptions of god; quite rightly as if there is one I feel we don't have a clue what it wants, specifically.

The theological blends with the logical, as the theory requires that this postulate god be happy with the unavoidable inequity such a situation would produce, as I covered. Can god be unfair in that fashion? That's why I referenced back to Biblical conceptions of god. Indeed, if it IS as you have outlined, then would modern theological views allow such an entity to be viewed as a god? This conception of a god is very traditonal (and I don't mean Christianity, but older religions); cruel, capricious, unfair, dangerous, to be feared.

Would it not just be a malign alien entity with its own agenda, when viewed from a modern humanistic point-of-view? I can't piss around with my kids and punish them for all eternity it they aren't 'developed' enough, why should some alien be able to do that, even if it did instigate human evolution?

• Given a blank sheet, the current scientific view of evolution, and a pile of anecdotal psychic phenomina (which for the minute, lets just accept as true - feel free to pull the rug on that one, later).

I will.

• In addition, add the three "inherent" traits of man's thinking, and take them as a given since they have influenced the course of humanity for millenia.

And this is whilst ignoring all the other reasons these traits could arrise?

• Add also the apparent trend for people to return to the mystical, almost in rebellion of the straitjacket of scientific process laid upon "modern" thought (given that we appear to be moving into a post-modern era).

Emmm, and maybe we shouldn't be surprised that tens of thousands of years of religiousity is hard to throw off? I am not kidding about certain ideas and phiolospohies having the characteristics of a virus transfered by enculturation, or about the fact the ones that stick around have 'evolved' to survive (like the Christian Church this last century). This explains what you're identifying.

Basically, I'm trying to grapple with the concept of Intelligent Design, but taking it beyond merely the animal kingdom. Currently, I suspect your reaction to that idea is no different than that of Creationists.

My attitude to Creationists or their attitude towards IDers?

Please realise that ID is a self-refuting theory. It postulates that it is impossible for an organised Universe to come about as it has by mere mechanistic mechanisms (if anyone says 'chance', they're revealing they don't realise that evolution is not mere 'chance'), as such a thing would require Intelligent Design. Unfortunately an Intelligent Designer would require an Intelligent Designer, unless one postulates an eternal entity, which is basically just making things up as you go along to keep thinking what you want to think.

I've not once encouraged anyone to adhere to a given set of beliefs, or to join a religion, hence your analogies are misdirected.

Maybe I've explained their intent better.

I also haven't stated anything about any negative connotations due for living a life that is unsuccessful in making a "connection".

I was locking on to Calvanism, but the theory of god having us evolve spiritually begs the question of, why? If we are not eternal it's basically just tough, and we have an eternal afterlife to be affected, then it's tough ad infinitum. Without there being some reasoning behind it, there's no explanation of what ends such an evolution might serve.

Toddle-loo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit