The Real Reason so many rich white men got out of service

by SixofNine 68 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

... in vietnam, as explained by Tom Delay (R)Texas :

"He and Quayle, DeLay explained to the assembled media in New Orleans, were victims of an unusual phenomenon back in the days of the undeclared Southeast Asian war. 'So many minority youths had volunteered for the well-paying military positions to escape poverty and the ghetto that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like himself.' Satisfied with the pronouncement, which dumbfounded more than a few of his listeners who had lived the sixties, DeLay marched off to the convention." [/Houston Press/, 1/7/99]

... and then the poor minority youth would throw themselves on enemy hand grenades, to escape the horrors of poverty, no doubt.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Thanks !

• bigboi
    bigboi

Tom Delay should be thrown on a hand grenade then shot.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Did Tom DeLay really lump himself in with Dan Quayle?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

When it comes to politics, liberals are as hypocritical as conservatives. Neither are interested in the greater good, only in the furtherance of their own agenda.

In my most humble and ignorant opinion.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That's a pretty broad brush Tex. I'm pretty disgusted with so-called "conservatives" (who are anything but conservative), but I wouldn't say that none of them are interested in the greater good. I tend to think that their agendas have sucked their brains dry, but for the most part, I'll give them that they are sincerely wanting a better world, if perhaps their view of that world is simply to small for the majority of humankind to thrive in.

Frankly, the words "conservative" and "liberal" are both generally positive and not in any way opposite each other.

Six~ damn I love saying "generally"

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Generally Six I agree with you. But generally I read stories about waste in the federal budget, i.e. "pork" projects (the mating habits of salamanders and the like).

Generally I see presidents more interested in pleasing the polls or their big monied backers rather than doing what is best for the country. I mean does I'm not stupid. I see the contract Halliburton got, and I know the connection. Is that why there was a war in Iraq? I don't know. But it smells. The same way Clinton lobbing Cruise missles on empty tents every time the press pushed him on Lewinsky or some other scandal.

And on and on.

You know who I would listen to? A liberal Democrat who pushed for a balanced budget, no matter what. Or a conservative Republican who pushed for improvements in Head Start or really solving the insurance/health care problem. Or a President who ignored the polls, or stood in front of the camera with messed up hair.

Generally speaking.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    You know who I would listen to? A liberal Democrat who pushed for a balanced budget

http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_statement_economy_balancingthebudget

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*beats head against wall*

• Big Tex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit