Did Jesus really die on a cross?

by macys 43 Replies latest jw friends

• macys
    macys
    Being raised a Catholic we had lots of crosses around the house. When my family converted to this cult they were all removed and destroyed in case they had demons in them lol but at this juncture in my life I do not even know if Jesus as the way he is portrayed in the Bible was real. Yes a man named Jesus did live and die 2000 years ago and probably on a cross but he was definitely not the son of God. I know this because there is no God. God is a coward. All this suffering for his holy name? Screw that. Back on topic Jesus did not die just on a pole but an actual T shaped cross, not the t but a T and definitely not an I shaped pole.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Romans at that time historically used a cross to impale people, and the bible's own account suggests that a cross was used based on how long he survived after being impaled and there being "nails" in his hands (vs one nail as would be used if he were on a pole).

• macys
    macys
    Yeah that was what I was alluding to. It says nails plural and the T shaped cross was often used back then.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    John 20:25 says that Thomas wanted to see the wholes in Jesus hands made by the nails, plural. So according to that verse unless Jesus was double tapped in one pole ,the writer wanted him on a cross. Anyway I like you believe it to be just a story, if not Jesus is a liar like his father
  • Simon
    Simon

It's bizarre how the WTS has made such a big deal about whether it was a cross or a stake. They obviously wanted to differentiate themselves from the Catholic 'brand' which makes heavy use of the cross (and why Catholics are equally adamant it was a cross and not a stake).

The obvious answer is the Romans probably used both, whatever was convenient at the time. I doubt the conversation ever went "oh noes, we were supposed to crucify this guy but we only have [stakes | crosses]* available and we need to use a [cross | stake]* instead ... I guess we'll just let him go free !"

* delete according to religious affiliation.

• freddo
    freddo
    What Simon said.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I always thought the Wt's use of the word 'impale' was kind of strange. In my mind, crucify is not the same thing as impale. From what I've read, getting impaled seems a lot worse. Any scholars want to comment on what method was actually used?
  • pbrow
    pbrow

I thought there was a scan of the entire source material that the S.I book took out of context explaining that the "stauros" was indeed a stake or pole. The dubs jumped all over this because it did appear to back up their claims. The entire quote goes on to talk about how it was most likely that another pole was attached to the stake to make the "t" shape.

WTBTS quote mines the shit out of anything they can to back up their claims.

pbrow

• the girl next door
  • macys
    macys

I personally do not think if you were to believe the Bible narrative that it would matter what you believe. No where in the Bible does it makes a difference to believe what he died on but the JDub cult has made it their shining example of how they are different from the other religions. It is their signature to say WE ARE BETTER AND DIFFERENT THAN YOU!

But if you are a true Xian then it does not matter! He died for your sins and that is all that matters! Also the paper that they refer to all the time, has 17 different ways Jesus could have died and 13 of them involve a cross as it was common at that time to do so. But of course the JDub cult only quotes the paper as if the paper ONLY said it was a stake. What a bunch of lying cowards. Makes me sick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit