So, 60 Years Ago

by titch 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• St George of England
    St George of England
    they released a thick edition of the New World Translation

Generally known as the "Jumbo Bible" or "Fat Boy Bible"

It was basically all the 5 volumes of the NWT of the Hebrew Scriptures that had been released over the years, plus the NWT of the Greek Scriptures in one volume. i still have mine.

George

• titch
    titch

St. George: I still have a copy of it, too. I don't know what for, but I still have it.Best regards to you, oh Sainted One. ---Titch.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

they released a thick edition of the New World Translation

You have just reminded me of life before the complete NWT was published in jumbo form or in the original green edition.We each had 6 or 7 bits of the bible that had been issued as they were translated and bound. This meant if you wanted to look up Habakuk 2:3 for instance you had first to select the correct volume and look it up before the speaker had moved on. Imagine the oneupmanship of deftly being able to manipulate these volumes quicker than his anal fellow worshiper. What a waste.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

I can’t imagine the pure torture for children to attend 8 days of this bs in the heat and rain. My memories of 63 were of swimming at the beach across from palm beach, Santa claus in shorts and seeing JFK at WPB airport. All good memories provided by caring and wise parents, from Christendom. Those were the days, when Flipper was just coming out, in living color!

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Imagine the oneupmanship of deftly being able to manipulate these volumes quicker than his anal fellow worshiper. What a waste.

OMG what a waste is right. But...it's a "publishing company."

Off the subject but I just cringe when I think about all the bound volumes I ordered to complete my library and how I had to toss them in recycle. Ugh.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Do I remember? YES. I was 8.

Pasadena was hot and smoggy....until it rained. We all wore dry cleaner plastic bags and sat in the rain. I got sick from the smog and heat. Mom fainted in the heat. But I DID get one day in DISNEYLAND I never forgot.

The Mexican food in the cafeteria was good. :)

All the adults in our hotel had cocktail parties and got hammered. lol.

The teenagers had pool parties.

Oh... and the Babylon Book. Who could forget all the years of boring book study nights spent on that book?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I was there from Westminster, Orange County. I was younger,six, and recall they had something special for children but they would not tell us! So, all of young ones looked forward to the assembly! I believe it was a drama about Noah or Lot! I think most of us really enjoyed the drama. But I recall feeling disappointed because we were so exhausted and the long wait. I remember feeling very puzzled or confused yet I was suppose to understand and like it. I believe it was in the evening! I believe I might still have one picture.

Did you attend the San Francisco assembly?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think we went to Milwaukee WI or nearby. We camped (in a tent, not a luxury camper) at a State Park that only allowed 3-day permits, so for each family there, they issued 3 permits -- each to a different member of the family. Lots of Canadians there, as I recall. One carload of middle age sisters from Canada that bought or borrowed a tent, but neglected to bring the stakes/pins or center pole. Neighboring JW campers each gave them spare tent stakes and someone cut tree limbs to prop up the tent on the interior. That's the kind of experience that reinforced the concept of the united brotherhood. Everyone stepped in to assist. I'm certain they are all dead and to receive their "paradise" via "the underground".

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

DOC

The experiences of helping each other can be found every where decent humans congregate. If anything, witnesses are more selfish than the norm. " best conventuon ever": I got to cut branches and help set up a tent. No memories of "light" but that experience sticks with us.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I do remember it! I was only 12 at the time, but I remember working in the fruit stands and selling lunch items between sessions. If I recall, they had day sessions and night sessions...the one thing that stood out to me was how LONG they were. If memory serves me, that was a 7 day convention. I also recall the big buzz was that Billy Graham had a revival during that timeframe at the Los Angeles Colosseum. The combined attendances were almost 200,000 people. Today's JW's wouldn't recognize the conventions back then!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit