So, 60 Years Ago

by titch 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• r51785
    r51785

I too was nine years old in 1963 and in attendance at Pasadena. The heat was brutal. Since our family was on vacation and from outside of California we took one day out of the eight to go to Disneyland. Much better use of our time. At the same time as we were in Pasadena, Billy Graham was holding a crusade across town at the Los Angeles Coliseum. We outdrew him which was proof of God's favor on us. The smog was really bad, after 8 days my lungs (unused to Los Angeles air) were hurting. I got sick one day from bad cafeteria food. Fred Franz gave what seemed like a ten hour talk one night (probably only three) on the subject Babylon the Great Has Fallen, God's Kingdom Rules. The book by the same name was released. I wonder how much if anything in that book is still taught as "truth" by Jehovahs Witnesses.

Brutal heat, rain, food poisoning, smog, unbearably long and boring talks -- what a blessing!!?? At least I got to go to Disneyland.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was there! I was 8. Do you mean those clip on chairs than attached to the bench? It was weird the stuff you could order through the literature counter at the hall.

I remember it was an international convention and there were a lot of people wearing full native costumes and getting their pics taken on the field. I remember thinking those poor ladies in the kimonos because it was soooo hot. The stadium was so packed I remember sitting outside on folding chairs.

Also remember the constant reminder that the oleander bushes were poisonous! I was scared to death of them and still to this day!

Ahhh the “Babylon” book. I had to memorize a three scripture sermon to offer that book door to door. At eight years old.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I had to memorize a three scripture sermon to offer that book door to door. At eight years old.

Ah, 3 - 4 scriptures, 10 -15 min Doorstep Sermon. Today's 30 hour "pioneers" and trolley minders haven't got a clue.

George

• dozy
    dozy

Ironically probably the one thing I miss most about the Org are those large stadium conventions. There seemed to be something special about them , with the big tent "cities" etc.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/103175/

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They were only special to me when I was in my teens and could spend my time chasing pretty girls, other than that they were pure Hell ! bum numbingly boring talks, and simply waiting for the break times.

I was at every large and smaller Convention up until I woke up to a degree in the early 2000's, and realised if we gave those hellish things a miss, nobody noticed ! Even my close J.W family must have thought they just hadn't run in to us.

My wife and I never attended another one, we left a couple of years later, for good.

But PIMO's take note, it IS possible to give them a miss and not be found out, if your circumstances permit.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the last big assembly i attended was at the old Wembley ( UK ) stadium--about 1969 / 70 ?--it rained non stop. I wasnt long married ( 1st time) and my born in wife expected me to sit in the rain for hours.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JW Friend: "Doc, you don't want to miss the Regional Convention!"

Doc: "I can assure you, I WILL NOT MISS IT!" [Under his breath -- "I sure haven't missed any of those meetings!"]

• DNCall
    DNCall

r51785: In the 70s, a former maker of adult films became a Witness in our congregation. He was an inveterate gambler and recalled that the week of the 1963 convention was very slow for gamblers. The only “action” in L.A. was who would draw more attendance, JWs or Billy Graham. He bet against JWs. When he lost, he had greater respect for them. Prior to that, he had thought they were “snake charmers.”

• Gorb
    Gorb

It is years ago my wife and I attended a convention. We are POMO and sometimes jw family "encourage" us to visit. But we won't. Do we miss it? No.

We don't miss the organization. The congregation. The hamster carrousel of jw life. The repeating, indoctrination.

The false kind of friendship and attention of fellow jw's.

But beeing a kid it was something special I remember. Some kind of a journey. But later on my feeling was that something was not right with the big crowds and mass applause.

G.

G.

• titch
    titch

Dagney: You are correct. The chairs could be attached to the cement bench with clips, on the bottom, that were spring-loaded---and, they had a soft back unit. It made sitting at the Rose Bowl somewhat more tolerable. I remember, on the last day, I stayed at home with my Dad, but my Mom went to the Convention. The next morning, I woke up to find the "Babylon" book on a desk next to my bed. Also at that Convention, they released a thick edition of the New World Translation, filled with many references. Best Regards, Everyone....Titch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit