The Myth About Jehovah as a "GOD of LOVE".

by smiddy3 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

I told you already. Evolutionary psychology adequately explains the origins of our moral instincts.

No magic required.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Some JWS would say after watching those people get burnt alive would say ... " Well that's what they get for worshiping the wrong god, we did so that's why we weren't killed "

• johnamos
    johnamos

And I told you I am looking to hear smiddy's reply... :)

• cofty
    cofty

Stop hiding from challenges Johnny Boy. You asked a question on a discussion forum. Somebody answered it. Deal with it.

Let's take the god's own revelation about the meaning of love.

Jesus claimed to have been sent to reveal the nature of his god and father. Not only does christianity claim that god is love, it defines the meaning of love, and explains the importance of love expressed as positive action in the interests of others.

I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous... Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. - Matt.5

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matt.6

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. - Luke 6

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. - Luke 12

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. - Jas.1

"Love ... always protects" - 1 Cor.13

So god claims to be the epitome of love and reveals that love involves practical action in the interests of others.

BUT when we examine god's actions we discover that he is NOT love if we judge him by the standard of his own words.

• johnamos
    johnamos

hiding from challenges...LOL :)

I asked smiddy not you.... you have no answers and no reasoning....just anger and hate. Go deal with that before you attempt to talk about LOVE.

• cofty
    cofty

Johnny Boy - I presented a scientific answer and a biblical one.

You responded with a baseless ad hominem attack - ironically a typical response by a xtian.

I have zero anger towards christianity. I am a cultural christian. I just don't pretend that any of it is objectively true.

If you won't deal with the scientific evidence at least you could deal with the obvious inconsistency in your own belief system that I laid out for you. Anybody might think you don't have an answer!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

johnamos

Do you believe that you possess the quality of LOVE?

I would leave that up to anyone who knows me and judges me by my actions towards other people.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To say the god of the ancient Hebrews was a god of love toward what he created is a nonsensical lie based upon what he did to mankind and what he's supposedly going to do again to the majority of mankind again.

A purposed myth about a myth

• johnamos
    johnamos

Smiddy, I am not asking you that question in a personal judgmental way...I am simply trying to point out that whatever your view of what LOVE is, you feel Jehovah doesn't possess it, so I want to know how you have come to know what LOVE is on your own.

You are judging Jehovah by actions that you read about that YOU feel he dealt with mankind unlovingly. Where do you get that sense to determine what is loving or unloving?

My point is that it is mindboggling for me to hear anyone think that they have a better understanding of what LOVE is and what it is not, then the ONE that created into mankind to begin with.

Fink,

If your home is being robbed and you shoot the robber, is that unjust/unloving?

If you lived on an island with 1,000 adults (men and women) and 500 children (boys and girls) and if only 3 men out of the 1000 adults were men that would rape, kill, and steal, etc.. would you feel it is okay for them to be there to do those things or would you want them to be removed from the island? If you would want them to be removed, would that be unjust/unloving?

Armageddon is loving and just. Those that will be killed will be those that are like the 3 men on the island and the one that robbed your home.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Haha sadly, the JW religion version of what kind of love God has for us, resulted in suffering for me.

Now I look at what's in the bible and see the greatest injustice is done under the heading of love. Did God love his son? He pretty much decided from the beginning to have him tortured to death. All in the name of Love for us. Yet, God is supposed to be the epitome of love, how was it loving towards his son? Does the end justify the means?

The end justifies the means is a phrase of Sergey Nechayev, the 19th century Russian revolutionary. It means that if a goal is morally important enough, any method of getting it is acceptable. It was later picked up and used to justify murderous acts by Lenin and Stalin.

If god loved his son, wouldn't he have come up with something different? Probably you will say, God had to have the equivalent of Adam and all his future children and only Jesus could fulfill that.

But once again, It was God's choice to allow Adam and Eve to have children and that choice led to billions of people suffering a punishment because of it. He is the cause and the cure by his choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit