BadAss Bethelites, did they really peak in the 1960's?

by was a new boy 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

NotFormer: "BTW, did Mr Olsen really jump, or did he accidentally fall while proving his bravery, as mentioned at the start of this thread?"

My question, also.

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

"BTW, did Mr. Olson really jump?" - NotFormer

Show some respect. He jumped.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I am showing respect. He could have simply fallen, and the Bethelite leadership decided it was suicide to besmirch his reputation in the eyes of other JWs. My disrespect is for Bethel leadership. I have full sympathy for Mr Olsen, his death is a tragedy, regardless of whether he accidentally fell, or if he was driven to it. I am angry at the reaction of his bosses and wouldn't be surprised if they were the types who would spin Mr Olsen's death to belittle him even further.

Is the full story available in another thread showing respect. He could have simply fallen, and the Bethelite leadership decided it was suicide to besmirch his reputation in the eyes of other JWs. My disrespect is for Bethel leadership. I have full sympathy for Mr Olsen, his death is a tragedy, regardless of whether he accidentally fell, or if he was driven to it. I am angry at the reaction of his bosses and wouldn't be surprised if they were the types who would spin Mr Olsen's death to belittle him even further.

further.

Edited to add: I only had the quoted paragraphs in this thread to go on. After reading the full incident, I see that it was suicide. He is unlikely to have been working around the edges of the building late at night.

I'm still angry at the reprehensible treatment of the Bethel bosses. Did they really wait two days before recovering Mr Olsen's body? What did the authorities have to say about that?

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

NotFormer...if you really want to have your eyes opened about 'Bethel bosses', search here for stories posted by ex-Bethelites. Spiritual paradise it was not!

• Randall
    Randall

Ex Bethelite here. Buildings 2 and 3 are misnumbered in the pictures. Not that important considering the seriousness of the subject but it is fact. Also this wasn’t the only case of jumping/falling to one’s death at Bethel. Remember Richard Wheelock.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I read Keiths book "New Boy" he mentioned such untimely death(s) in his book.

Tragic.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My husband, (Baalam's Ass) was a Bethelite in 77-78 ish. After hearing his accounts of life and experiences there I believe that many, after seeing how the organization is actually run, are severely stumbled.

Those without a decent support system, are broke, and disillusioned, can easily become despondent. Who can they trust to share their doubts with? Certainly not their family, if they are Staunch JWs!

I had a close JW friend whose boyfriend went to Beth-Hell, came home and shot himself. He was a handsome, intelligent, person who couldn't bear the burden of "The Truth" anymore.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    3rdGenI had a close JW friend whose boyfriend went to Beth-Hell, came home and shot himself. He was a handsome, intelligent, person who couldn't bear the burden of "The Truth" anymore.

😭😭😭This forum can break your heart.

The period Baalam's Ass (best internet name ever) was at Bethel, I was a child dreaming of being there. But I was given to understand, that as a girl, I'd never be privileged enough to work for 50p a month (to buy socks with I was told😊)

How I longed to devote my life and give my all to God....little did I know. I cannot imagine the devastation in finding out the truth whilst there.....

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Diogenesister, sisters did serve at Bethel. Did those who made it have to have close connections with someone already in the hierarchy? Were you told that you could never aspire to such lofty levels (and pairs of socks) by anyone (in as many words)?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Balaam's Ass was the screen name of a particularly belligerent KJV Only Landmark Baptist who made his mark in the early days of the internet. He was forced to tone his polemics down and removed a lot of his combative content. He closed down the Balaam's Ass page, I believe.

He emerged about the time that Gail Riplinger emboldened the KJV Only extremists with her book in the early 90s. I know that this is a site about JWs, but KJV Onlyism is a great study in cultic behaviour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit