BadAss Bethelites, did they really peak in the 1960's?

by was a new boy 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I very well know that being appointed an elder (and esp having any "prominent" privileges) definitely "pulls back the curtain" and opens one up to seeing a lot of the "dirt" that goes on behind the scene.

I suspect Bethel Service often does the same thing.

Let's review: It's a Cult!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Not FormerDiogenesister, sisters did serve at Bethel. Did those who made it have to have close connections with someone already in the hierarchy? Were you told that you could never aspire to such lofty levels (and pairs of socks) by anyone (in as many words)

Socks Lol😂 yes I was told that as a girl I wasn't qualified to serve in God's house! However we were in the UK and I'm not sure it had been very long that Knorr had allowed married couples.

Of course way back, I've since found out, men such as Rutherford brought his lady friend in to Bethel (despite her having zero qualifications - aside from the ones he clearly saw in her). Ive always been slightly fuzzy on where single women stand. I think lawyers/doctors/computer science grads may get exceptions and be allowed as singletons? Maybe someone could clarify it for me, please?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Diogenesister, I agree with you that everything revealed about women at Bethel seems very "fuzzy", like it's a bit of a grey area. When they started allowing married couples into Bethel, I suppose the women had the traditionally "domestic" roles, or "privileges" foisted on them. Single sisters with qualifications must have presented a conundrum. I bet they were watched as by a hawk.

I can't imagine an institution organised along such business-like lines as the WT didn't have detailed operations manuals. It would be interesting to see how those treated women at Bethel. Have any such operations manuals been leaked?

• blondie
    blondie

Diogenesister, my last contact with Bethelites, they joked that they had a betting pool as to how long a unmarried "sister" at Bethel would last as unmarried, it turned out it was six months.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Diogenesister, my last contact with Bethelites, they joked that they had a betting pool as to how long a unmarried "sister" at Bethel would last as unmarried, it turned out it was six months."

Wow, Diogenesister, you could have not only had new socks, but a new husband! 🙋🧦

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit