BadAss Bethelites, did they really peak in the 1960's?

by was a new boy 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

In the 70's a Bethel Elder told me that every morning in the 60's the Paint and Scaffold crew, (which was located on the 5th floor of Building 4) would go up to the roof and walk around the perimeter on top of the ledge, which I doubt was more than 12" wide. Then they'd go render sacred service to Jehovah.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

They were like half animals, whistling and hollering at the sisters going by on tour.

• was a new boy
  • NotFormer
    NotFormer

Were there any casualties?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Back in the day when I knew Bethelites there, 'BA' was said to be 'Bad Attitude'. To be labelled a BA at Bethel was not a good thing (from the management perspective), but a sort of badge of honor for the rank and file Bethelite. The OP seems to suggest 'BA' stood for something else.

• mann377
    mann377

Sometimes they were refered to as "Potlickers". Pressmen were sometimes refered to as "animals" . Pressmen had a very different additude than the regular factory workers. Somte Bethelites would climb up to the towers at the Towers hotel and go around the columns on the tower at the roof.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the number of ex bethel boys on here never fails to surprise me.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

NotFormer

Were there any casualties?

Halloween, 50 years ago, James Olson (Cleaning Dept.)

'I was standing next to Norm Brekey, the ink room overseer. Next to Norm was Tom Combs, the Job Press overseer.

Tom Combs said and I quote "He must have done something really bad to have killed himself!"

Then Norm said and I quote. "I'm glad he jumped off the back of the building and not the front of the building, because we really don't need the extra publicity."

The Love.

(In the book it's page 289, Chapter 32)

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5417237131296768/chapter-31-new-boy-50-years-watchtower-slave

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A ex Bethelite pm'd me.

'Hey, just a heads up. You've labeled Building 2 as Building 3. I worked in 2.'

Which means Alzheimer's is creeping into one of our brains. I'm sticking to my numbers for now. My 1st job was in Bulk Wrapping, Bldg. 3, floor 10.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

ex Bethelite pm'd me.

'Hey, just a heads up. You've labeled Building 2 as Building 3. I worked in 2.'

Which means Alzheimer's is creeping into one of our brains. I'm sticking to my numbers for now. My 1st job was in Bulk Wrapping, Bldg. 3, floor 10.

Correct. Building #2 in your picture is actually building #3. The larger windows were the press rooms on 3-6 and 3-7. Book binding was on 3-8 and 3-4.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Halloween, 50 years ago, James Olson (Cleaning Dept.)

'I was standing next to Norm Brekey, the ink room overseer. Next to Norm was Tom Combs, the Job Press overseer.

Tom Combs said and I quote "He must have done something really bad to have killed himself!"

Then Norm said and I quote. "I'm glad he jumped off the back of the building and not the front of the building, because we really don't need the extra publicity."

The Love. "

I had a former flatmate of mine (we lived in a church ran boarding house) who committed suicide. If any pastor from the church had said anything like that about him, I would have belted him one!

Were any Bethelites ever pushed too far by that sort of arrogance, to the point that they lashed out?

BTW, did Mr Olsen really jump, or did he accidentally fall while proving his bravery, as mentioned at the start of this thread?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit