Are You Happy With The Country You Live In?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

I live in Germany.

As a "petrolhead" this country is perfect for me.

I am satisfied with life here, also as far as the other aspects of life are concerned.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Unsurprisingly I live in England, UK.

I love the place. I went to University in the days of grants, not loans so that was great.

I have had need to use the NHS and have found it to be absolutely brilliant.

Things have gone downhill in recent years, especially knife crime in London, and we have far too many immigrants, especially illegal and/or economic immigrants. Hopefully BoJo will sort things, he may not be perfect but he sure beats Corbyn and Abbott!

George

• blondie
    blondie

I like the midwestern US. Each state has it own personality, and I have found Wisconsin suits me. In the US 1 out of 4 people come from German ancestry and it is even higher in my state. I grew up in Germany for about 10 years and loved it too; the food and culture is very German/Swiss.

I agree that moving to a country with civil wars, health issues on a larger scale, and seemingly more corruption in the government, and a culture I am not used to, might be more than I can handle at my age. Quite a few US citizens move to Mexico after retirement and other countries south of the US border; their retirement dollars go farther. The ones I have talked to like it a great deal.

I don't see the reason to have a contest about one country being better than others. I have enjoyed Canada,, Mexico, UK, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc. I have not been able to visit the Caribbean or other such islands, Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, or any Pacific islands, etc., due to financial limitations and my husband's reluctance to fly in a plane. He says if he can't drive there, we won't be going though he has considered taking a ship.

I came from a state that was settled by people from over 30 countries, and every town/city seems to have festivals every year to celebrate the country their family came from. We are going to a Greek festival this weekend, food, music, dancing, and a visit to the local church and view the beautiful icons. I have learned about the Greek Orthodox church from a different angle than the WTS one. I have had many friends over the years from this church.

I agree that some countries have problems and citizens want to leave. Not so much different from people from the US moving away from large population centers to live in the rural areas. Or people in the rural areas moving to larger population areas. Even here, some people want to say one state is better than another, or one sports team is better than another, and get into arguments. I have found that people have more in common than not.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

North Carolina, U.S.A. I love America. Each state is like a country within itself so I understand why some people in some states dont like it where they are.

I pay for my healthcare, I paid for school, and I wont go to jail for speaking my mind.

I am close to the mountains, close to the beach, the weather is wonderful.

• flipper
    flipper

Well, yes I enjoy our country and the freedoms that we do have. But don't enjoy this particular president trying to control and turn our country into a totalitarian regime through his racist, narcissistic , and unjust rules. But I'm hopeful that will soon be rectified in a couple years , or even sooner. The sooner, the better. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Biahi
    Biahi

I want to visit England! Not just London, either. I want to see Liverpool, Cornwall, and any suggestions from any of you UK people. In October Iā€™m going on a Mediterranean cruise. The Norwegian Epic. šŸ˜€

• Humphry
    Humphry

Min, that is a very hard question for me to answer. If you asked: Are happy in the country you are living in? I could easily answer yes with hardly any reservations. I've gotten used to most conditions where I live. As far as the political environment of the US where I live it is acceptable and I have no complaints, I wish all my neighbors happiness for their future what ever it may be. So maybe that's a Yes to your question?

• Humphry
    Humphry

Being happy with the country you live can also be an indicator of being self sufficient, how about a crippled person should his happiness depend government assistance, or if one is approaching retirement and has property and a good retirement fund they paid into in those lack of income working years.

Also being honest with one's self is not very easy.

I would think also that Maslow's hierarchy of need being met and how far up it you can climb, have a lot to do with being happy with one's country of residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Hi blondie,

Your "resume" is quite impressive. You have lots of experience dealing with the world. I have only visited a few countries. I can learn a lot from you.

By the way, I once lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in two different time periods. I liked Wisconsin very much. But that cold, you can have it. I could take it no more. So I headed south. Wisconsin and Minnesota are two of the coldest states in the nation. I read somewhere that Minneapolis/St/Paul followed by Milwaukee were the two coldest cities in the nation (of cities with population above 100,00) Oh, I remember vividly all the icicles hanging from the roof of the houses during the long winters there.

The last time I went to Milwaukee I saw a lot of change, not necessarily for the better. Since you have traveled a lot, you have the responsibility now to share your experiences with the rest of us. Okay?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I hear a lot of negative comments about Trudeau in Canada here on the board.

Well Canadians, how does this sound? We will trade Trump for Trudeau any day of the week and throw in Detriot for no additional charge.

(Note: Read Trump's book on the art of negotiating and you may also get Cleveland as part of the deal).

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit