Are You Happy With The Country You Live In?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• scary21
    scary21

My Grandmother was born in Middlesex England (where ever that is) and my Grandfather was born in Toronto Canada. I was born in Michigan.

I have been to Canada more times then I can count. Lived on Grosse ile and went by boat in the summer to Amherstburg at least once a week for Duffy's perch. A lot more strict now since 9/11

. Been to Mexico 3x. That's it for countries.

Lived in New Orleans LA, Las vegas Nevada, ( Mt Charleston to be exact) ... Tulsa OK, Janesville Wisconsin , Olivebranch MS, ( close to Memphis ) Bloomington IL, Ludington MI And had a farm in Custer MI Now I'm back in Metro Detroit right where I started. I LOVE the USA...

My favorites .....New Orleans... Smells bad when you get off the plane but you get used to it. Janesville it was cold but the sky is so blue and it's sunny .Then you step outside and it's freezing ( unlike Detroit where everything is gray lol )

Ludington and Custer MI because I was so close to Lake Michigan and beautiful sand dunes.

Yes The USA Has so much variety . I remember traveling to California with my sis and dad, I was 21 and very blonde. I wake up in Flagstaff Arizona . I thought Arizona was dry and like a desert. Here it was Pine trees and lots of snow. I said "are we in Vermont " LOL

• Biahi
    Biahi

My husband and I visited New Orleans last year. We had a great time, great food. Wouldn’t want to live there, though.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

We travel quite a bit and every country we've visited has had things to admire, even imitate. But we are always happy to return to the Midwest USA. Winters get long but that keeps the tropical diseases away. Health care is the biggest issue facing employers and employees alike. Surely we can come up with an American solution that will make the rest of the world envy our system. Never understood people's complaints about taxes, taxes are all that separates us from third world countries. We've traveled to and even lived in countries without basic infrastructure and services like police, no thanks, Ill pay a few thousand dollars a years to live here.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I want to visit England! Not just London, either. I want to see Liverpool, Cornwall, and any suggestions from any of you UK people - Liverpool is a multi-ethnic city. There are some nice parts, there are some poor parts, like many other cities, I guess.

Cornwall is a county in the extreme south west of England (officially it's the Duchy of Cornwall, I think). It's very nice, I've been to a place called Lostwithiel.

Whatever you do, don't call Cornish people English - they're not. They used to have their own language that died out a century or two ago and it's currently being revived. The Cornish language (Kernow) is kinda related to the Welsh language. Before the English people came over, much of Britain, including what was to become England, was populated by tribes of people that were related to Cornish and Welsh people.

^^^ I've never been to Penzance (Pensans), Cornwall but I'd like to visit.

The Lake District is another place that's worth a visit. It is in north west England in a county called Cumbria.

Related image

• St George of England
    St George of England

The Welsh are just Irish that couldn't swim when the Romans invaded!

Fully agree about the Lake District, had many holidays there. Probably best to avoid high season (summer) when it can be very congested, Easter is better and also less rain.

Northumberland is a great place to visit, especially the coast.

George

• LV101
    LV101

Really - the Welsh are just Irish? Hilarious -- can't wait to tell my husband!

• St George of England
    St George of England

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hope he doesn't take it seriously LV. People can be touchy when it comes to jokes about nationality.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

best not to visit me on the isle of wight. ferries are stupidly expensive, and the indigenous population ( corkheads ) dont take kindly to foreign invaders (overners)

• jhine
    jhine

LUHE , come to the Midlands as well ( Staffordshire , Warwickshire etc ) we have some beautiful countryside , castles and stately homes . Like l said even little Tamworth( Staffs) has a small castle , which dates from Norman times . Let us know when you are over here .

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi jhine, I have an aunt who lives in Kidderminster. It's quite nice where she lives.

I have to travel through Staffs to visit her. I haven't visited for two years, tho, plus I'm a bit poor at the moment so I'm not sure when I'll have enough money to see her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit