Norway

by St George of England 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I remember seeing a clip of a GB member whinging about the Norway decision. I wonder what the GB meetings were like about that. Would they have been outraged? Extremely offended? Did they even once question their own purported infallibility?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

NotFormer:

Did they even once question their own purported infallibility?

Well, they don’t actually claim to be infallible. They explicitly say they’re not infallible. But then they say they never need to apologise for getting things wrong. Which is kind of worse. 🤣

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The WT have lied though to the dubs on what the ruling was. They state the Norway government is trying to get them to change their practices on DF'ing whereas in actual fact the ruling was based on the effect on minors the DF'ing arrangement.

These are significantly different.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hmph.

And then info comes out that the DFing procedures are being all but kneecapped.

You know some of the rank-and-file are gonna go, “hey, wait a sec”…

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Im actually hoping the Borg is stupid enough to appeal to the European Supreme Court.

Likely the higher court will uphold the lower court.

The Borg gets their asses handed to them too.

Then the Borg will likely have burned down all their bridges with all the countries in Europe.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yup

I remember having my morning coffee on Tuesday March 5th reading about Norway ruling on the Borg.

I was thinking "" the Borg will appeal this within a month"".

Well it took 25 days.

A week short of a month.

I guessed right.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I remember seeing a clip of a GB member whinging about the Norway decision.

That was AM III of course on the 2022 GB update #8.

2022 Governing Body Update #8 (jw.org)

He clearly said they would not change their beliefs because of government pressure.

What happened? Within 3 months AM III had gone and change is taking place.

Money changes everything!

George

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    notsurewheretogo - The WT have lied though to the dubs on what the ruling was…”

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls…

…if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don’t deserve to be defended.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I thought the appeal they already did was to what is the equivalent of the Supreme Court in the US. So, who are they appealing to? If they try this in the ECHR, they will lose, and all of Europe will know about their evil practices.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I'm not so optimistic about the ECHR simply ratifying the Norwegian government's decision. Two points, courts are generally very conservative and this appeal will come from a position of freedom of religion, a basic human right. ECHR has "human rights" in its name.

Point two: Norway's decision is an outlier. No other European governments are showing any signs of doing what Norway did. A European Commission is more likely to reflect attitudes of the broader European community, rather than the one country that decided it had had enough of the WT's shenanigans.

One of my personal mottos is "Never go to law". Most court cases are a coin toss. Unless you are really sure you're going to win, don't take the chance. The WT should follow that advice and not appeal to the ECHR. They should take their medicine, take the "L" and keep softening their approach to disfellowshipping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit