Does anyone know of this guy, or agree with his statements on racial differences in IQ?

by Sugar Shane 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Sugar Shane - the facts in no way depend on the work of one scientist.

The heritability of IQ is no longer disputed by scientists. It is still denied by well-meaning sorts writing social 'science' blogs.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Sugar Shane: I still have yet to comment on your other posts regarding Stephan Moloneux. I promised I would view your documentation.

It should be noted that Moloneux has an entire series on IQ in which he talks to experts on both sides (nature vs nurture). These are actual experts in the field of IQ with decades of work, books, etc.

The conclusion seems to be IQ is mostly genetic, but a little environmental. The IQ potential is genetic, and environment can help an individual attain that potential.

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane
    Some guys blog is also less credible than published research papers. Sorry, anyone can make a blog - it's not research.

Fair enough, Simon.

Here, from the Center for Evolutionary Psychology. Not a blog:

https://www.cep.ucsb.edu/rushton.html

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane

I gotta go OCONUS in a couple hrs. Good chatting with you boys. Catch up later. Out

• ragingmad
    ragingmad

There are black people who say that God cursed african people because Ham shamed Noah who was naked and drunk. But I don't believe that this is true, because God cannot be tried with evil.

source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham#Early_Judaism_and_Islam

• LV101
    LV101

It's always made sense that we inherit intelligence but I've not read the research. We inherit everything else from our parents -- skin, bone structure, hair, eye color/similarities, etc., etc. Why would it not be true of intelligence. I think environment helps to a point as mentioned and I could never understand shrinks making the claims they did -- that was years ago (40-50 yrs. ago) and science has come a long way, thankfully.

• Whynot
    Whynot

IQs don't equal success imo. My husband and I aren't white, my husband is 1/8 black and he was an honor student. He learns very fast it's amazing. But he's an idiot and makes A LOT of mistakes.

My son has an IQ of 117 BUT he did terrible in school and has dysgraphia and developmental delays so WTF is up with that?! My toddler ALSO has a very hIgh IQ. He can literally memorize a whole movie or book after just watching/reading just 3 times. He can read and he's only three! BUT he is considered disabled and is on ssi because of his devlopmental delays . So WTF!

HOW IN THE HELL IS THEIR IQ HIGH YET THEY HAVE DEVELOPMENTAL DELAYS???!!! They also have autism.

I couldn't get a good explanation from their developmental psychologist nor their developmental pediatrician.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

“I don’t view humanity as a single species...”

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@whynot: They might have a higher “G”, or general intelligence, but have a lower spacial or linguistic intelligence. Or maybe the other way around.

Also, you can’t judge an individual based on a group average. For example, Haiti has an average IQ of 67. Yet, if a Haitian were standing in front of you, you can’t say he has an IQ of 67. That would be incorrect, and he might be the smartest guy in the world. You also can’t take an intelligent individual and attempt to invalidate a group average.

“I know Mr. x. He’s a Haitian and has an IQ of 130, so your statistic is bunk.” - that sort of thing.

And you are correct that in individual cases low IQ people can be successful - but probably not at something like a medical doctor. But that person might have a special/valuable talent.

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane

Simon said this—

You also quoted the famous line: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...”
    What do you think this means? Does it mean that all people are identical? That all people can achieve the same things?

What do I think it means??? There’s no “think” about it. It’s crystal clear. Here’s the entire passage by Jefferson:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

It says NOTHING about people being identical. It’s not about entitlement, but rather getting a fair shot at the American dream if you’re willing to work hard and play by the rules. Don’t make excuses, just man-up and work hard. All men should have THAT opportunity. The opportunity to make something of themselves. NOT the opportunity to be HAPPY, rather the opportunity to PURSUE happiness. All men stand on equal footing in pursuit of that goal.

Take my grandfather for example. He came home from WW2 minus his right leg. Thanks to the GI Bill, he was able to attend college and eventually open his own business. Of course he wasn’t “identical” to his classmates, but he was given the chance to compete and the OPPORTUNITY to succeed in life as a man on equal footing to any other man. And succeed he did.

You ask me whether I think “all people can achieve the same things?” I don’t where you came up with that, though it should be pretty obvious from the words of Jefferson, and from my late grandfather’s story, that all mean should have the opportunity to prove themselves and PURSUE their goals. Whether they actually REACH those goals, is ultimately up to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit