Watchtower Organisation - it's all over, bar the shouting

by slimboyfat 199 Replies latest members campaign

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Serious period of decline?

$1 billion in the bank and still growing at 8.3 million dubs...

They ain't going anywhere soon...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is impossible to predict when the JW Org will finally be as insignificant as the Shakers eventually became.

But I do feel that all sorts of pressures are building to make the religion decidedly unattractive to potential converts, and to make those within feel uncomfortable, some of whom will leave.

The Child Abuse scandal is still building, far from swept under the carpet, there is growing opposition to the DFing/shunning policy, we have Films like Apostasy shining a light on it, and we will soon have the Film about the Blood doctrine, starring Emma Thompson.

JW's do live in their bubble, but all this negative publicity will bring a hardening of the Public's attitude, which will make being a JW even harder, and may burst the bubble for many.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It is becoming a very different religion, it is true. Many people in the developed countries are simply moving on with their lives, whether still associating a bit for family reasons or leaving entirely. But, there is a segment of the younger folk who are traveling to other countries to 'serve', getting at-home Bethel assignments, etc, and these ones are really having a great time with it. There is a great vitality among them that leads me to say that the organization still has a while to go.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I cannot foresee the org expiring anytime soon, but they will continue in their downward spiral of decline.

Undeniable facts point to critical financial problems for the Warwick-based cult:

1) Unprecedented reduction/distribution of printed material and costs incurred.

2) Unprecedented culling of full-time servants - D.O.'s/special pioneers/Bethelites.

3) Unprecedented sell-off of Branch facilities/kingdom halls.

4) Unprecedented pillaging of congregations' bank accounts.

5) Unprecedented constant pleas for donations - despite all of the above.

The hierarchy are either planning for some serious times ahead, or they are already dealing with a very nasty financial "hurricane" incurred since 2008.

I strongly favour the latter.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the internet will eventually knock the watchtower down. if the online rumour mill can be ramped up a bit more--more talk of watchtower decline--it will gather its own momentum.

i wonder which one of the GB will play the part of comical ali ?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good thread, SBF.

Like others have said, I hope you're right.

I don't care if the WTS go out with a whimper or a bang. I don't care if they're finished 10 years from now or 50 years from now.

I just want them to die.

• Room 215
    Room 215

There's almost most no outreach to the public, at least in comparison to their aggressive proselytizing of years gone by.

It seems their focus has shifted to retaining what they have. Consider for example the near-total absence of public appeal of the so-called "new releases" at this year's "Don't Give Up" conventions: a video of the "Wife of Lot" assembly series and an updated "Bible Stories" book with improved artwork.

• mrquik
    mrquik

I was one of nine children that were Witnesses. Three still are. Of all the kids we had, only one is still a Witness. They have sold my old Hall & disbanded the congregation. They have combined three local congregations. Everyone I see at the donut shop is in their 60's. This is in upstate NY. A half a century in & I can see the stark disparity in what was & what is now. The cult is dying as all cults eventually do. I'd like to believe the GB will take the money & run. That everyone in will awake from this aberration. That we will get our loved ones back. I hope to see the end....

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Being 63 years old I truly hope the Borg will totally collapse in my life time. Maybe I will be able to see my children again. As they say hope spring's eternal. Still Totally ADD

• LV101
    LV101

Yes - great topic/thanks SBF.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit