Watchtower Organisation - it's all over, bar the shouting

by slimboyfat 199 Replies latest members campaign

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As the Watchtower organisation continues to disintegrate, among other things, it may be time to consider what sort of response might be possible if the Watchtower collapses quicker than we imagined.

It's funny how perspectives change. A few years ago it was commonly assumed on this forum that nothing could derail the Watchtower and that any talk of collapse was just people dreaming. It doesn't seem so unrealistic any more, as a derailment of sorts appears to be underway. The possibility of collapse should never have been dismissed so easily in the first place.

Sometimes discussion has vacillated between the Watchtower collapsing tomorrow, or else that there is nothing on God's earth that can impact its future for decades or even centuries to come. In reality organisations such as the Watchtower do decline and/or collapse. It happens all the time.

On the one hand there is the example of the Christian Scientists, who were a vibrant religious organisation at one time. But they started declining sometime between the wars, and are very small now, nearing extinction in most places. (Incidentally they forbid their membership from counting their numbers when they started to decline - that's one way to deal with decline!)

On the other hand there was the Worldwide Church of God that collapsed all of a sudden due to a mixture of financial, organisational, and credibility problems. In many ways the WT more closely resembles the Worldwide Church of God than it does Christian Scientists. So a rapid collapse rather than a gradual decline is not unrealistic.

It seems pretty clear to me now that the Watchtower organisation is entering a serious period of decline and has significant financial and organisational problems, and mounting credibility problems.

Like I said on another thread, it is becoming ever clearer to me that most of the committed JWs I know became JWs in the 1970s or earlier. Only a few of their children became JWs, and hardly any grandchildren. The congregations are getting older and there is no one to replace the old JWs. I used to think that maybe many of the children will come back to the KH. And some of them have come back, for a while, and drifted away again. That maybe it was a life cycle thing and they would return later, at some point. But it really is reaching a point now where, most of the children and grand children of active JWs have largely forgotten about the KH. It's becoming a distant childhood memory for that generation. They really haven't been inducted into the JW way of life as their parents and grandparents were. It's becoming increasingly unlikely they will ever come back.

And hardly anyone comes into the KH from the general public any more.

So with no new converts, and the next generations of JW children all but disappeared, where are the new JWs going to come from? I think the most reasonable conclusion is quite simply that there won't be very many JWs left in 20 or 30 years time. It happened in other churches in precisely the same way, as children failed to follow the faith, over the last 30 or 40 years. JWs are following the same pattern, just a little later than most other churches.

See for example the Methodists, that went from being one of the largest denominations in Britain to being almost extinct now:

http://churchgrowthmodelling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/the-rise-and-decline-of-british.html

When I look around at JWs I see many parents and grandparents, and their children are nowhere to be seen. Last spotted at a Memorial or convention, some years ago, if you are lucky. It is rapidly becoming an older person's religion. Which, following the Methodist example, is one stage before rapid decline sets in.

But JWs are not Methodists. And in many ways the problems the Watchtower organisation faces are much greater. The JW mindset is not well equipped to cope with decline, neither among ordinary members, nor among the leadership, who are apparently facing many crises at once: financial, declining membership, commitment, credibility gap, legal challenges, mounting public criticism of shunning and abuse. And they don't seem able to meet these challenges other than to double down on a hardline agenda, demanding obedience, scare mongering about "apostate" lies, and impending tribulation.

The organisation doesn't even seem to expect growth in the future, they are merely hoping to survive. A few examples that prove this point: abandoning the Gilead missionary program; closing branches; abolishing district overseers; and cutting literature production.

I can't get over just how huge each of those retreats are when you really think about it. No organisation that is growing and plans for more growth cuts branches. And dropping the missionary school practically says: we give up, game over! But most of all, the halt in literature production. When you consider just how competely central book production has been to purpose, mission and identity of JWs for most of their history, the significance of the cutbacks can hardly be overstated.

For example, and it might seem a small thing, but consider the fact that as WT cuts literature production, their literature will no longer be as ubiquitous as it used to be. At one time JW literature was everywhere: in waiting rooms, book stalls, charity shops, auction rooms, all JW homes, anyone with a JW connection, even homes of people who just took a book from someone at the door. And when the literature was lying around, occasionally people picked it up and read it. I know many JWs who came to the KH as a result of reading stray pieces of Watchtower literature.

There was an elder in our congregation who became a JW this way. He took a book from JWs (in the 1960s) put it aside and would probably never look at it again. Except that he was sick a few months later, was in bed for weeks and ran out of things to read. In desperation he picked up the old yellow "What has religion done for mankind?" book the JWs had left. He became a JW and later an elder. (None of his children became JWs and he died recently)

I know another JW who grew up in a non-JW family, but for some reason she had a copy of the "Greaf Teacher" book she read as a child. She loved that book. She doesn't know where it came from. But when the JWs called years later she remembered the book and started a study, and later got baptised.

So many cases like this where the literature worked its way into people's lives and was instrumental in bringing people to the KH. But as the WT stops literature production this will not happen any more. It may seem a little thing for the WT leadership to cut costs by moving from print to telling publishers to download the literature. But it has so many unintended consequences, and is just one more reason why there is little prospect of future growth for JWs.

To get back to the point, I think there are very many indications that JWs are beginning to decline and that this decline will rapidly accelerate as the generation of believers from the 1970s and earlier gets even older. They also face serious financial problems, legal challenges and bad press. Plus there is an increasing credibility gap that may just reach a tipping point for ordinary JWs when combined with declining membership.

So I think it is all "over" for the Watchtower. The only question remains how the final chapters will play out. Will it be decline over a few decades, or will it be sound and fury as the "unsinkable" ship goes down rapidly in crisis?

And if the organisation does collapse suddenly, I wonder how the ex-JW community will respond, and what, if anything, will emerge from the WT when all the dust settles.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Slim - I think its wishful thinking that anything would happen soon.

It will be decades of slow decline, then becoming a minor religion with thousands of members.

I wish it was tomorrow though.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    It seems pretty clear to me now that the Watchtower organisation is entering a serious period of decline and has significant financial and organisational problems, and mounting credibility problems.
    What did we miss? If it's that clear, how come we don't see it?

There is no sharp decline. There will still be Watchtower in 100 years, but I agree that it will slowly decline along with all other religions.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The signs of the declines...it's not a question of IF, but WHEN, and HOW quickly. It may go out with a whimper, not a bang. One day, it may be no more than a small (invisible to society) religious group like the Bible Students. And then further down in time, one day, there will be no such thing as Watchtower or a religion as JWs.

A few other indications are: there is also an ever growing shortage of elders and ministerial servants...a shortage of future leadership and those to carry the congregational workload.

Also JWs are no longer a religion centered on reading printed materials on seemingly deep subjects...but watching visual media about lifestyle. There is no more illusion of intellectual depth. JWs can no longer explain their beliefs or handle questions, merely point people to a website.

There is, however, a difference between the JWs and the Worldwide Church of God. Basically, the Worldwide Church of God experienced decline after the death of their founder. JWs (or the Bible Students) survived the death of their founder...although severely declining until after the 1920's and then rebounding.

Also, the Worldwide Church of God decided to reform and apologize for past mistakes. Which was the right thing to do, but the organization suffered for it. I do wonder if Watchtower has looked at this as a lesson and decided to follow a different path.

While the main organization went mainstream, a sizable minority broke off and adhered to the original teachings of Armstrong. This points to the likelihood that when Watchtower loses its stranglehold, there will likely be cultish fragments that succeed it for decades afterwards--sort of like the Romanian JW group, who hold to the stricter teachings of Rutherford era JWism.

• cofty
    cofty

I think you may be right SBF. Where are the new JWs going to come from? Only a small percentage of youths stay in the cult and new converts are a rarity.

For me it is the merging of congregations and selling of halls that are the biggest shock. When I was a young elder new congregations were being formed all over the place.

Will it go out with a whimper or a bang? Splinter groups are not unimaginable.

• never a jw
    never a jw

@slim: " A few years ago Slimboyfat assumed on this forum that nothing could derail the Watchtower and that any talk of collapse was just people dreaming"

I fixed the sentence to make it more accurate and specific.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I know I go on and on about this so I apologize in advance and I'm happy to be wrong but...

For business, "decline" doesn't necessarily mean over and out. It can just mean decline in one area of the business while the business branches out into another area and a new direction. Unfortunately that's what I think WT is doing. IMO, WT is winding down the way it has conducted its business not winding down full stop. A sort of "Phoenixing" if you like but without going bankrupt first or maybe it will. And dare I say, I think (yikes, please don't hate me for it ) all planned and been in the pipeline for years. Thin ice I know.

God, I hope you're right slim and I 'm wrong. I would love to see them crash and burn spectacularly or quietly either would suit me I'm not fussy how they go.

• sir82
    sir82

Where are the new JWs going to come from?

There is still fairly robust growth in some 3rd world countries.

Problem is, those guys contribute virtually nothing, and oftentimes are a financial burden to Warwick (paying for COs, missionaries (the ones left out there, anyway), disaster relief, etc.

The money comes from the west.

Another issue is that "standard", native-language speaking western congregations are in full-scale retreat. This has been going on for probably 15 years or even longer. It has been masked by growth in western "foreign language" congregations preying on immigrants and the above-mentioned 3rd world growth.

But I think we are rapidly nearing the tipping point in which even 3rd world growth won't mask the overall decline. As elders die off & no one is left to replace them, as congregations get bigger & bigger with fewer "shepherds", it will be much easier to slip away (fade) unnoticed.

The JW organization will slowly fizzle away, like a beach ball with a pinhole.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

good appraisal SBF

• LV101
    LV101

Love reading your optimism, Slim, and needless to say hope you're right. It's so difficult to predict when no one knows or sees their financial records.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit