Would You Outlaw Jehovah's Witnesses If You Had Your Way?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I would outlaw all Organized Religion.

Its all evil.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I would like to see all aspects of the organization's tax returns made transparent and readily available to anyone. Completely transparent down to the last penny. So that regular tax payers know exactly what it is they are funding by giving the organization tax breaks. Books wide open.

Including a donor list of all donations over a certain amount. So that the members themselves, and those of the public, can be aware of who has the most influence over the organization and also be aware of exactly where their donations go. And exactly what the tax breaks cover.

Transparency. No more secrets.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Hey mag... not sure if its a strawman...

Just my take on the questions. No ban. Take away tax exempt status but you cant ban ideologies. Generally I agree with the freedom that is granted to individuals in the US as regards to religion or being able to think and say things that are fucked up.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Books wide open.

JW Financial Statements for Norway

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/6k1qib/jw_financial_statements_for_norway/

JWs receive public support and send hundreds of millions out of the country

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

That is somewhat helpful, Dsp. But, the link you provided is a link to stories about Norway's tax return. In spite of the government grants that the org receives being revealed, it still doesn't list the big contributors - the ones who could and do influence org activities. And the information that the Norwegian branch sent Germany over 300 million during those years still doesn't reveal where that money actually was spent. Putting $$$ in another country's bank does not quailify for knowing how the money was used.

It appears like the link gives a reader a summary of that information but it does not give details.

The tax return that has never been revealed, and likely never will be, is the BIG one - the American one.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Would You Outlaw Jehovah's Witnesses If You Had Your Way?by minimus

I new our veteran OUTLAW would come up with something witty for an answer to that question :- )))

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

And another thing I think should happen with religions.

Regardless if they lose their tax status or not, all religions should be levied a flat tax to be used for survivor recovery programs. All monies from that tax would be directed to religious/cult recovery, shelters, suicide help, mental health programming, etc.

The notion that religion holds a special status in society based on its "helpfulness" needs to be balanced with the acknowledgement that religions/cults also do harm. Religion itself has to start chipping in to pay for the damage that it does. Just sponsoring soup kitchens and giving away used clothing doesn't cut it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ORPHAN CROW:

I agree with you. Even though the things you mention that other religions do "don't cut it", they're more than what the Witness religion offers to the community - which is a big fat zero! They are takers.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

OP asked about beliefs.

Many responses are to practices.

These are the key words considered by the courts.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I agree with freedom of religion.. In you own home. (However sexual or physical abuse of children etc are exceptions to that.) But in the world here... no churches... None.. nada.. let them meet shall groups in home.

If they express an anti-gay or anti g=-government phrase they should be examined or banned as Russia thankfully has doe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit