Opinions Please....Engagement Timing

by Stacy Smith 58 Replies latest social relationships

• little1
    little1

After 2 marriages to WAY the wrong men, after knowing them each only 6 months, my advice is take your time. When I was 18 someone told me to go traveling, live my life, have fun and not to worry about settling down right away. So what did I do? GOT MARRIED!

Now I wouldn't marry anyone I hadn't known for at least 3 years, to be sure that he wasn't really some kind of psycho. I dated the Jdub boyfriend for 3 years and it opened my eyes a lot to be around him for so long. He's a great guy but so hammered by the org he can't see straight. I was a "bad association" although he didn't think that when he spent the night I guess!

Anyway-time is a good thing. The best things take time-fine wine and good cheese and, I suppose, good relationships. If he has your best interests at heart, he'll respect your wishes. You seem as if you have agood head on your shoulders. I wish you luck and happiness!

little1

• little1
    little1

And, hey, I think loafers and no socks is sexy! Should I be going for a different type of feetwear?? Maybe that's where I went wrong!

little1

• Panda
    Panda

Little, Loafers and no sox are indeed sexy, that's the point. Loafers and no sox are fun for the short run, lots of hamster sex and all. But if you want permanance go for somebody with sox.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

But socks on the beach is always wrong, every time.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's a bit frightening to think that people urge other people to make life altering decision based on a mans footwear fashion choices.

Six~ who wear spurs everywhere, and I do mean everywhere (they're stainless steel, so they can handle the shower), but it doesn't mean I'm only interested in "the short run".

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Six~ who wear spurs everywhere,

with socks though right?

I would say one of the most important things to look for out of all the suggestions here is how he treats his mom.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

It is different for every couple. I dont see why getting married before you graduate would HAVE to stop your education unless you let it...unless we are talking about getting student grants and stuff...and can see how that could screw things up.

I met my husband in person about 4 or 5 months after I ended up on his email joke list. (long story....) We met in person in October, he asked me to marry him in November...and we were the following February. It will be 5 years this coming February.

Things have worked out fine with us..but we are both strange people. Sometimes it works for strange people. If I were talking to my sister I would say wait until you graduate...just because I am objective only with things that have nothing to do with my situation hahah!

I am all for marriage if you are in sync and love and like your partner. But you should wait and do what feels right. If for some reason you think marriage will distract you from your education, and he is willing to wait, then wait until you graduate.

As far as not having kids, you can rent mine any time you want.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Thank you eyebrow. I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

There is some wisdom to marrying while still going to school since he'll be working by then anyway. I'm just afraid to mess things up. My grades are great and I hate to mess with that. Besides a longer engagement would help me discover reasons why I shouldn't marry.

My parents married 8 months after they met. But they spent all their time together. It seems to have worked out for them, 24 years later.

I'm almost sure it's going to happen on Maui. Now his parents are going over for a few days the same time as we are. Hmmmm, getting a bit suspicious here.

Does this add pressure to accept. You might think yes but it really doesn't. I'm leaning towards saying yes but if I get even a weird feeling I'll turn him down.

Oh and eyebrow thank you for the offer of watching your children, no really, it's a wonderful offer but, ummmm, no thank you

Maybe a proposal on little beach would be perfect? We'd already be neekid!!!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I personally am not in favor of a long term engagement. If two people are mature enough to make a decision to marry each other, why wait?

I have heard people say that they have had long engagements in order to get to know each other better. In my opinion, they have no business getting engaged if they still need to know each other.

If one wants to wait to get married because of school, or work, or whatever, I think there is nothing wrong with having a long commited relationship. When everything works out, then get engaged, and get married.

My wife and I met and got married within 6 months. Best thing that has ever happened to me. For some, it works. Other people, need much longer to know each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit