WARNING! If you DELIBERATELY avoid the JW memorial.....

by BoogerMan 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Dissy - Some non-JW Christian Bibles also include the word "Translation" in the title of their Bible (including the original edition of the Darby Bible) and the New Living Translation (NLT).

Wasn't Darby a Jobot sympathiser? I remember getting his version from an a$$emb£y in Norwich many moons ago.

The NWT Bible is not a fake Bible. It is a real Bible and it is a good translation of the Bible.

There we will agree to disagree. (Cough**Westcott & Hort** by Bible standards dodgy**cough**).

As someone that thinks the Bible is a load of old rubbish anyway, and of no use to us, that we were conned by the popular misconceptions (The same as I feel about the Quran and other so called holy books), I see the Jobot version even more crappy than ever.

People are swayed by their preferred 'holy book'. I'm not. Folk can quote as many scriptures as they like, they're all worthless and totally meaningless to me. If you believe in the bible as god's word, knock yourselves out. Not my thing until I have that special revelation.............not holding breath.

Anyway (anyways with an 's' on the end if you are over the sea to me), Memorial(tm), I'd sooner burn my own legs off with a failing candle than go.

• Vintage
    Vintage

Punkofnice, were you, at one time, a JW?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Punkofnice, were you, at one time, a JW?

Raised in the disgusting cult. Pioneer(tm). Mini-man(tm). Elder(tm).

Those were the worst days of my life. Now I'm ancient of days. A totally wasted life.

• Vintage
    Vintage

I see from your avatar that you are a male person, so forgive me for the analogy that I'm about to make. I'm female. After Watchtower assisted my (now ex) husband in extricating himself from our marriage, I read a book written by a woman (not an exjw) who had had to flee an abusive husband. I can't even find the quote online now, because the book is so old. But she said something that resonated with me. (I'll try to get the gist right.) She said, "I know that I can love again, but I can never love with the same energy again." Shattered Dreams: An Abused Wife's Escape to Freedom Paperback – May 1, 1998 by Susan Stewart (Author)

It's great that we are free of Watchtower, but the youth, energy, hopes, and dreams that they stole from us, they have no way of replacing even if they were sorry,... which they aren't.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VINTAGE:

Yes, it’s true in many cases (especially born-ins) that people’s youth, energy, hopes and dreams were ‘stolen’ and they can’t get them back even if the religion said it were sorry. I doubt we will ever hear them utter those words!

Even though I wasn’t raised a JW, I still wasted enough years that could have been better spent elsewhere.

But, none of us can ever know how our life would have turned out if we took a different path and we try to be happy the best we can.. I’m just Glad I got Out - and that I didn’t cave in to peer pressure and hung onto that job the busybodies all hated me for until retirement. It’s all been a life lesson learned. No more religion or groups for me! 👎

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Vintage - I see from your avatar that you are a male person

I am indeed a geezer. 65 years a geezer this very month.

"I know that I can love again

So do I but I doubt I ever will. Especially not at my age, all the good matches in my age range are senile or have died already.

but I can never love with the same energy again."

I get that. The disgusting cult destroyed my ultimate trust in anything once I found out they were just a big con job. It was my world they destroyed.

So, I don't think Mrs Right exists anymore.

I'm reluctantly single but not seeking.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I try not to look back at what may have been lost in the years I spent as a JW. I'm happy enough to have gotten out and gained my freedom and a fuller control of my life than I ever had. I can't change the past, I can only live in the present and plan for the future. So I'm happier by doing the latter two and minimizing the impact of those lost years.

Or, to quote from No Country For Old Men: “All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more goin out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it.”

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one
    I try not to look back at what may have been lost in the years I spent as a JW. I'm happy enough to have gotten out and gained my freedom and a fuller control of my life than I ever had. I can't change the past, I can only live in the present and plan for the future. So I'm happier by doing the latter two and minimizing the impact of those lost years.

Thankfully for me as a born-in, I went into full rebellion mode in my teen years and was completely out by age 15. My parents passed away decades ago, and besides resenting the WT for stealing the happiness from my childhood, I also hate the WT for depriving our family of quality family time. But the damages caused by the WT are what economists refer to as "sunk costs." There's nothing we can do to change what has already happened; we can only "move ahead" (Song no. 63 from the 1970s songbook) by learning from the past and living what's left of our lives to the fullest.

• jhine
    jhine

Off topic l know but l was widowed at age 59 . After 3 yrs alone l decided to move on and joined an online dating agency.

Now l had been with my late husband from age 14 ( married 42 yrs ) . So this dating lark was very strange, especially in a new millennium. My online adventures proved entertaining to people around me , not least my hairdresser.

I met a lovely man and some of you may remember that l got remarried around 18 months ago .

Never say never.

Jan

• Vintage
    Vintage

Well, I look exactly like my avatar, so I doubt there's much romance in my future. ROFL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit