I was surprised today by what I saw a JW driving

by days of future passed 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FULANO:

‘Materialistic hypocrisy’ is when some JW tells somebody ELSE to pursue poverty when they themselves are just the opposite.

I don’t begrudge anybody if they have money and nice things. Just don’t go around telling some impressionable young person that they shouldn’t. When I came into the JWs, all the older people were comfortably well-off, or retired with a pension.

But, yet these hypocrites were telling ME I should pursue poverty and pioneer. Thankfully I never listened. These people have passed away and wouldn’t even be around to help anybody foolish enough to have listened to them!

• LV101
    LV101

LHG - I heard that nonsense, too. Also, going along with the anti-education stance when their spouses were educated professionals. I heard of one professional who wouldn't lie to the teens and encouraged higher education -- very rare/honest, good man.

I think if you'd been married to an elder you could have skated a bit working full time and they would've been kinder about your career. My friend (ex witness married to elder -- they were both highly educated and the JWs idolized him and looked down on her for her college degree but that's just the JW chauvinistic-pig beliefs on steroids) worked full time and had no intention of not working. She loved working and is still going strong. I knew a few others that may have called it 'part-time' to fly under the radar but I think it was full time. They know how to work the cult system.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fulano how long have you been a JWS ?

Materialistic hypocrisy, an example is when an JW elder gives a talk on the detrimental effects upon a person's spirituality by putting work and the procurement of money above that of serving god and being spiritually righteous with him.

Then you see him walk away from the podium wearing a very expensive silk suit and jump into a very expensive luxury car he just bought. ( True story )

Another example is this guy who gave the JWS their name J. Rutherford .

He built a lavish house to live in with his mistress when he was separated from his wife, then deeded the title of the home as a religoius building to doge property taxes, drove around in the most expressive cars only the super rich could afford, right when American was going through the great depression. (1930's)

Smuggled booze into the home when alcohol was legally banned.

This guy personifies materialistic hypocrisy

Image result for j rutherford cadillac

• LV101
    LV101

I recall reading years ago devout, poor, JWs, were living in their cars, freezing in the winter (if that good) supporting this charlatan -- clueless about it all. Just wrong.

I think JWs want their leaders to look good and represent them well - or that was my opinion decades ago. I heard a couple of JWs refer to all the Crooklyn properties as success, "who wouldn't be impressed with all that," when pointing out in one of the publications (hard-bound book) a photo of the cult's buildings. They were proud of all the real estate and thought it would prove the religion is so big in NY and truth, I guess. Sure shocked me -- I thought they were a poor religion - NOPE!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LV101:

Yes, I do believe I was viewed worse because I was a single woman.

What saved me was that I wasn’t raised JW but came in as a young adult already in the workforce. I was interested in end-time prophecy..My parents raised me to have self-esteem and function in the world..So, Witness nonsense did not cause me to do anything stupid like quit my job.. I also wasn’t interested in titles like ‘pioneer’ and couldn’t see what the appeal was.

I believe the JWs intent was to abase me (because they hate women and possibly were jealous) and also to get me to do favors for all the users there.👎🏻 I refused to follow in the footsteps of other single women there who were jackassing around doing favors when they should have been getting a decent job.

These affluent older ladies they were doing favors for certainly weren’t looking out for these gullible young women’s futures!.. I am glad I was able to see this.

• Simon
    Simon
    Materialistic hypocrisy, an example is when an JW elder gives a talk on the detrimental effects upon a person's spirituality by putting work and the procurement of money above that of serving god and being spiritually righteous with him.
    Then you see him walk away from the podium wearing a very expensive silk suit and jump into a very expensive luxury car he just bought. ( True story )

No, you are making a character judgement based on things you don't know.

Someone could be hypocritical because they focus all their energy on earning money even if they don't have much material wealth. Someone else may be wealthy but not put as much importance on it in their life.

I know, it's easier not to care about money when you have it, but the truth is you can't always judge people's opinions on money and what's important to them based on how wealthy they happen to be.

You can normally tell what really is important to someone by talking to them, but not so much by just looking at them from a distance.

Let's not be shallow and judgemental eh?

• waton
    waton
    there wasSomeone else may be wealthy but not put as much importance on it in their life.

Always respect your level insights, and support here., but you might be wrong in this, Simon

"Jesus" is recorded to have suggested to a young rich ruler to divest himself of his excess wealth, give to the poor ( not the temple, aka wt. inc). so how about refusing such an assignment, or divest?
    downgrade to a Buick?

there was a wt item once about a wealthy German brother driving a cheap vw.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Some people are just way too bitter and obsessed.

Let's not be shallow and judgmental eh?

I wasn't obsessed, I was surprised. It isn't about people spending money on things they like. Because if they got the money they can spend.

I usually think of Witnesses as being as a whole, well Jehovah's Witnesses. Supposedly following the GB and the bible. I tried to when I was in. But I've thought about it and it reminds me of my father's grandma. Any conversations about the bible that my mother brought up, would invoke an immediate reaction of "I believe in Joseph Smith and the book of Mormon" from my grandma. You would think she was a staunch Mormon. But she was really a "jack" Mormon. Smoked and drank coffee and didn't go to church

There isn't a term like that for JW's. But there are many I think that are Jack JW's.

No, you are making a character judgement based on things you don't know.

You don't know me either.

• punkofnice
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

but the truth is you can't always judge people's opinions on money and

what's important to them based on how wealthy they happen to be.

It isn't an opinion when you see someone work very hard to achieve wealth, gain it, then show it off materially.

They are suppose to be not doing that, according to the JWS teachings of gaining and strengthening ones spirituality in the eyes of god as it were. Then watch and listen to these same guys give talks in front of a congregation demeaning materialism and the pursuit of money..

In this case the descriptive word hypocrisy would be justifiably appropriate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit