What is your relationship with ALCOHOL?

by nicolaou 76 Replies latest social physical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Here in the UK new drinking guidelines have been issued which suggest "no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine."

Another piece of the advice which is getting a lot of attention is that "if people drink, it should be moderately over three or more days and that some days should be alcohol-free."

Already people are making cries of "Nanny State!" It isn't, it's just advice which you are free to ignore but that advice to have several alcohol free days a week is what caught my attention.

Do people really need to be told this?

I'm no saint, I certainly had more than was good for me on New Years Eve but I don't like drunkenness and will rarely have more than a couple of beers or a double Scotch if out for a drink. I could go weeks without alcohol and wouldn't even notice it.

How about you?

• coalize
    coalize
    Alcohol was the only funny hobby allowed when I was JW... I need to continue?
  • DJS
    DJS

Nicolau,

Like many, I have a family and extended family with drug and alcohol dependency and abuse problems. It has caused great strife in their lives and the lives of their families. In addition, the US government has spent a lot of $ on drying some of them out (ultimately to no avail), confining them (again, to no avail), and subsidizing the health care costs associated with the various ailments and issues that drug and alcohol abuse can cause, as well as other benefits related to broken families (food assistance, etc.). No doubt the UK government has done the same.

Just a bit of research reveals the costs to society for alcohol abuse and dependence. To think that a responsible government wouldn't issue guidelines, etc. is ridiculous. Those who don't control themselves will usually be controlled by someone else.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    What is your relationship with ALCOHOL?

I have accepted alcohol into my heart and we now have a close, personal relationship.

Praise Dionysus.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I don’t drink.

I have had some alcoholic drinks on a rare occasion, but not enough to alter my mental state. I’ve never been intoxicated.

My father was/is alcoholic and he could get rather monstrous sometimes. I never wanted to be like that.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I very frequently have alcohol free days. Nights, on the other hand...
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

British movies and tv make it seem like all brits live on a liquid diet. Is it really so bad in the UK?

I don't drink. I see my family with a myriad of addiction issues on both sides. My vice is coffee($$). I'd rather be alert than dulled:)

• sir82
    sir82

I don't drink any more.

I don't drink any less, either, but....

Ba-dum-chssss!

• Stealth
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Ya know, it's like every day you read "one glass of wine per day will save your life" in one news blurb, then some other "authority" will tell you any alcohol is taxing your system and killing you sip by sip.

I like others have mentioned here, have alcoholism in my family. There was a time in life where I drank a lot and wondered if I have the genetic predisposition. It turns out I'm a social drinker and don't really drink outside of social occasions.

I say moderation and whatever works for you. Edited to add: maybe that should read whatever is "best" for your health and best for your situation with family etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit