Ex JW's - Which Christian denomination are you with now and why?

by Truthexplorer 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Gotta love how a person asks for help finding religious faith, a question that really doesn't need all of the God bashers' responses, only to find the atheists overwhelming the thread. This is why I don't even try to have intelligent discussions on here of any type of faith, not even asking well intentioned questions to see where I might stand. The God haters are every bit as rabid as those that love them some God, just here to proselytize and tell you how wrong you are for being different from them. Put a bag in their hands with science books in it, send them to the doors, and it's the dubs all over again.

I can't see why we can't just let people follow their own path so long as it doesn't hurt us. All of the right fighting in conversations not aimed at our point of view is reminiscent of the dubs sticking their noses in other people's business to tell them how wrong they are. Great for one's ego, but not usually of much help to anyone else.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

I spent a good number of years investigating and exploring most if not all of the major and not so major biblical based religious denominations.. and found neither God or Jesus is any of them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Before I realised god was just a big joke, I went to a Baptist church (not fundy nutters either, actually very nice genuine people).
  • I am a Bible Student
    I am a Bible Student

Good question, one I had a few months ago. John 6:68 tells us where to go. Read the verse carefully, the question is not Where must we go, but to Whom.

Our family is currently examining the scriptures closely to make sure of what it true. There are some useful sites, but you need to take some of their teachings with a pinch of salt. See www.meletivivlon.com, www.21stcr.org. www.scatteredbrethren.org and www.biblicaltruthseekers.co.uk/articles/.

Just because the organization has been found to be liars, does not make Jehovah God non-existent nor his word invalid. We have found a very like minded family (not JW background) in our area through the Scattered Brethern Network, and are meeting for bible study once or twice a month with them. No formal organization is needed or desirable but it is good to have a small group for your own encouragement - Matthew 18:20

Please email me if you need more info or encouragement. We are in South Africa.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    dubstepped: Gotta love how a person asks for help finding religious faith, a question that really doesn't need all of the God bashers' responses, only to find the atheists overwhelming the thread. This is why I don't even try to have intelligent discussions on here of any type of faith, not even asking well intentioned questions to see where I might stand. The God haters are every bit as rabid as those that love them some God, just here to proselytize and tell you how wrong you are for being different from them. Put a bag in their hands with science books in it, send them to the doors, and it's the dubs all over again.

Notice the reason the thread exists: ...I personally would like to find a genuine faith group where I can feel true Christian liberty as I initially thought I had with the witnesses.

We are not preaching atheism door-to-door. We are offering our perspective to someone who is in a similar place to where we were. We hope to convey helpful insights to someone so that they may move on with their life. I don't speak for others, but I do not share my atheism at all outside of the proper place (internet forums) unless others ask, and I don't browbeat them with "Are you stupid?" types of questions if they have beliefs.

If someone asks how to find a bar of gold under a pile of cow manure, are we to ignore the question because we are 100% sure that bar of gold doesn't exist, therefore the question wasn't for us?

• park ave boy
    park ave boy
    Basically what The Girl Next Door said.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    dubstepped: "...intelligent discussions on here of any type of faith..."

Intelligent discussions of any type of faith should include the skeptics. Otherwise, it's just an echo chamber and isn't really "intelligent" after all.

If you feel you have some special insight or proof for your faith, you should speak up and share it with us. Please share it with me. I would renounce atheism in a heartbeat if you can show me solid evidence.

I WANT to believe. Wanting to believe is what led me on a deep search for existential truth in the scriptures. The evidence I have examined on both sides of the issue is overwhelmingly in favor of the fact that the God of the Bible is false and kind of a dick.

Why are believers so afraid to examine evidence? If their version of the truth is true, wouldn't the evidence in favor of their version be overwhelming instead of the opposite? And what makes a Christian's version of existential truth more "provable" than a Muslim's version? They both claim the same "evidence." "[insert holy book name] has never changed since it was written! It's been preserved! It obviously has God's/Allah's backing!"

Now, on the other hand, if your faith is about you just wanting a social club and to talk about fantastical metaphysics, that's a different story. Religion and faith are perfect for bringing people together to discuss nonsense. Magic the Gathering and D&D RPG clubs also bring people together to discuss nonsense. The only difference is that the latter know the difference between reality and fairytale, and they don't use the mythology of the stories to dictate morals or condemn others' actions.

• OnTheWayOut
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Gotta love how a person asks for help finding religious faith, a question that really doesn't need all of the God bashers' responses, only to find the atheists overwhelming the thread.

Last time I looked everyone has an opportunity to post. However I do take Truthexplorer's question seriously.

A while back we took a quiz about which religion a person was most suited for. Most tested out as Human Secularists which is not a religion. Reformed Quaker was next if memory serves followed by or tied to the Universalist movement which is more of a religious secularist group.

However you can test yourself and see how it goes. Let us know what you found out.

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/#myreligion Start at question 1

And/or http://www.findmyreligion.com/

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    dabbled with a bit of evangelical Christian churches in the early days of my leaving, but found those so called Christians almost as judgemental and radicalised as the loons I'd left behind fro the WTS, a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire, I urge all exjw's I meet or those close to leaving to think very very carefully about going to an evangelical church, very much atheist these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit