Ex JW's - Which Christian denomination are you with now and why?

by Truthexplorer 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

About 15 years ago I got baptized in the assembly of God church but about 3 months latter I found out the Bible was all bull shit so that ended my gullibility they are all full of crap about their imaginary friend.

You don't want lightening to strike twice in the same place so stop falling for all the baloney that preachers of the word dish out.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Happy atheist now. Maybe I would still believe something if JW didn't force me to look into everything I ever believed.

To me, all religion is based on thin air: a (personal) God for which no evidence exists, worshipped based on ancient texts written by people with clearly different morals than we currently have.

Of course, everyone is free to believe otherwise.

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    Atheist.
  • Landy
    Landy

I'm still absolutely Christian in the sense of "Do to others as you would have them do to you" but it's not a requirement to belong to a secular denomination to do that. I don't understand why people feel they have to go to some meeting or building on a regular basis to remind them that they're supposed to be nice to each other. Just do the right thing! You already know how God want's you to act.

I hope I try and act like that anyway - nothing to do with God.

• Laika
    Laika

Strange responses on this thread...

Anglican, because I like their theological flexibility. They've got calvinists to wesleyans, catholics to charismatics and everything in between (at least in the UK).

• tiki
    tiki
    I have no use for any organized religion....but I like the idea of the old Anglican..and Unitarian-universalism makes sense in a way....but after years in dubdom I have no use whatsoever for religious involvement. I would enjoy the vast halls and organ music...the art work...but not the rhetoric.
  • freddo
    freddo

I believe Mark 9 v 38 - 42 gives a christian much latitude.

I know jw's say "ah but that was before there was an organisation chosen by God to associate with ..."

"Well, duh brainbox - Jesus and his Apostles were walking the earth and if it was ok not to tag along with them, well ... I'll take my chances"

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Nothing. I was never particularly religious but went along with it from age 9 onward because my parents convinced me that it was the only way to survive armageddon. I haven't attended a religious service since I left in my early 20's. Apart from weddings and funerals!

It's strange - I have all the dub knowledge in my head but it's not in my heart. The one advantage is that I'm a whizz at pub quizzes when the Bible questions come..

• jw-verite
    jw-verite

Hello Truthexplorer,

Since I left JW.org I joined an evangelical Baptist church in France. After reading all the New Testament in a few days I decided to go visit the churches around my home. This one was the first I visited and I immediately felt that I was in the right place. They don't judge you, they are not dogmatic and being protestant they actually love exegesis. Moreover I find them really open-minded and very close to what I imagine of the first christians doctrines and practices.

They don't say they are the only people of God or they are "true christians" but they simply see themselves like christians before any other denomination.

Good luck to you !

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I actually became an atheist before ttstt. I highly recommend that. Start learning about and reading your bible for real. Then you can skip that step of joining another Abrahamic religion or sci-fi cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit