Where do we go from here, the Lloyd-gate?

by raymond frantz 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

where do we go here as activists - I think activists should perhaps concentrate on the big issues.

Things like - sex abuse and blood.

Of course, most ex-JWs aren't activists. They're just ordinary people who've escaped a cult.

Apart from the JW cult, us ex-JWs have nothing in common.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Guy who was a dick when a JW continues to be a dick when he leaves. Looks like freedom was wasted on him. Sad truth is you can't escape from yourself.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Here is the thing for me, I like Evans videos. They are well done for the most part and to the point, except when he runs off on his liberal rants. But he is not anything to me other than a source of review of what is going on in the cult. I never looked to him for anything more than that. If others identify with him as some part of their family or someone to follow, they have just traded one cult group for another. My ideas on the cult do not change back and fourth based on what Evans or anyone does in their private life. The only issue I had is he is giving the cult ammo to fire back at him, See apostates are mentally diseased. This was just so stupid and so avoidable. Evans blames everyone and thing except himself. I was raised in a sexually repressive cult. Well a lot of us were and we were in it longer than you old salt. I got married at 18 only because it was the only way to have sex. We married too young and it would have ended badly as the first 8 years or so of a marriage as far as I am concerned is the hardest when you are very young. It took us years and we both were very stubborn people and did not want to give up on our marriage. Now we get along great but if we were walk away people we would have divorced long ago. Maybe this is part of Evans growing pains. Not trying to excuse his actions but if he can get his inflated ego under control with meds or counseling or both, he may be able to get back on track. His marriage is up to the two of them. But its hard to divorce if you have young kids. They are the true innocent.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Got to hand it to the guy, he has managed to alienate himself from both the JW and ex-JW communities 👏

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

What's also interesting is the number of ex-JWs now speaking out about their experience of his narcissism

https://youtu.be/4etARrUV0yc

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

I can't believe an issue like this has basically pulled me out of "retirement." I've known for years what a jerk Lloyd Evans (aka John Cedars) could be, but I had no idea he was using funds donated to him for illegal activities. By his own admission he admitted to using prostitutes every 2 to 3 months for a period of 3 or 4 years. He has the nerve to say Kim Silvio was misleading the public by saying he was using prostitutes on a regular basis. I'm sorry, but 12 to 24 encounters (by his numbers) is a regular basis!

This man is claiming that his activism in part is to help those who are sexually exploited. So his solution to that is to use Patreon funds to go and sexually exploit people in Thailand and other places. Enough is enough. Where do we go from here? I will tell you where I went from here. I have filed a complaint with Patreon. The following is what I wrote in my request:

"Lloyd Evans has since removed the video from YouTube, but he has admitted to using funds he solicited to help in activism against sexual abuse to engage in prostitution. Mr. Evans lives in Croatia where prostitution is illegal and admitted to taking a recent trip to Thailand in which he did not deny hiring prostitutes there. Mr. Evans video is discussed on this YouTube video which includes his original video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-8muiGR9Y
    When confronted with the facts he weaponized his audience against his former JW Watch associate Kim Silvio. She has received threats of violence which has included death threats for simply speaking the truth. I am asking you to do the right thing and investigate this matter."

(If anybody knows how I can get back into my old account, that would be great. I can't remember the password.)

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Enough is enough. Where do we go from here? I will tell you where I went from here. I have filed a complaint with Patreon.

I agree. First, STOP the enabling. If a person has donated money through Patreon in the past, I think registering a complaint and notifying the news media might be a good idea. Maybe sue for refunds if he is not kicked off the platform.

Lloyd has admitted that he cannot control himself, he would like to but he can't. He has an addiction plain and simple. He is caught in a vice and is powerless. His addiction has lasted years and probably decades, stretching back to his inappropriate dealings with a 14 yr. old girl while a JW elder. His addiction is NOT going away on its on.

Regardless of the causes... IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY. That's the main point in all this.

He needs enrollment into a 12 step program and to get in touch with his "higher power" - the one that supposedly doesn't exist but has made it possible for millions to conquer their addictions.... sex, alcohol, drugs - whatever.

Patreon contributors need to send a message that they are not going to tolerate sex addicts who masquerade as advocates for Childhood Sexual Abuse while at the same time, going on illegal sex vacations to the child rape capitol of the world.

Patreon has somewhat enabled these abuses and needs to immediately stop participating in his charade of piety, lest they want to support some sort of twisted Evans Gate Cult.

These kids at a food bank have no idea who it is serving them. But it is activities like these that help former addicts see other people as real human beings with internal value and worth rather than simply objects for their manipulation, enabling, gratification etc.

Alice Cooper speaks highly of 12 step programs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Just go away. Don't go away mad. Just go away.

This is really going to prove to be a Nothing-Burger.

At the moment, no one cares but ex-JW's.

In 30 days, we won't give a shit either.

Don't Go Away Mad - Song Lyrics and Music by Motley Crue arranged by  HairMetalMayhem on Smule Social Singing app

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    kids at a food bank have no idea who it is serving them. But it is activities like these that help former addicts see other people as real human beings with internal value and worth rather than simply objects for their manipulation, enabling, gratification etc.

People become addicts for very different reasons, there's also often quite a big disparity between the reasons male and females do. Whilst it's true some are self aggrandising egoists (King babies - I think Lloyd fits in here a bit) who fail to treat people as Kant puts it as not also only means to an end, but as ends in themselves. (Think gambler who gambles away his families money, or sex addict who repeatedly cheats on his wife).

However addictions vary and some rather take the form of *self harm* particularly in opiate addictions. Many female addicts find themselves in the situation of being used, rather, because they are often too empathetic with damaged people. This often stems from disorganized attachments to the mother figure as a child and results in fearful/avoidant attachment. They feel they don't deserve love or closeness from others and is the result of abuse and trauma in childhood (I've found a strong correlation here with disorganized attachment to the mother in particular - John Lennon was a really good example of this).

This is another reason I'm not fully onboard with 12 steps for everyone. It tends to work with people who find it through the criminal justice system, for the reasons you mention. But the kind of woman you might find in a refuge, for example, needs a very different approach. She certainly doesn't need to go make amends to others.(I'm a big Alice fan, by the way) It's strokes for folks, really.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Over 100 Patreons have quit so far and they’re dropping like flies. Will the last one standing turn off the lights?

https://www.patreon.com/cedars

What’s the justification for keeping the Patreon page up at this point? Can he return to making videos and activism, or is this the last pass round of the begging cap before calling it a night?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit