Where do we go from here, the Lloyd-gate?

by raymond frantz 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

The problem is where do we go from here? Lloyd is not going to go away , he has too much to loose(money) neither will his followers go as we have seen the last few days there was hardly a drop to his membership .SO what's next? We will be branded in the same colours and because of him we won't be taken seriously anymore

• Newly Enlightened
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Well he can't really do any more work in fighting the cult and sex abuse survivors can he?

Plenty of others chipping in with activism. The apostate army is growing.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

To be honest, I don't know. I very much liked his videos as I felt they kept me up to date with a religion that my parents still practice. I'd be able to get a whole lot of information while cleaning my dishes for instance.

So, now, perhaps I should take this as an opportunity to lower my xjw intake and move on with my life. Perhaps I shouldn't care as much as I do about my parent's beliefs. I don't know.

One thing for sure though, I'll ignore John and anyone supporting him. And lets not confuse things here. This isn't the same as shunning. This is about taking an active part in a public social cause and as such I can pick and choose.

Again, if I ran into Lloyd "in real life", I'd gladly talk with him and very likely try to convince him to also move on with his life to other things. But I'm not going to encourage that fool by counting my clicks or my views on his online activism.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

The problem is where do we go from here?

I don't understand why this man was such a big deal in the first place. I was raised by a JW family. All my family and extended family were JWs. Many were or are elders, MS, Regular Pioneers, etc. in my family.

Before I was in my teens I knew the religion was all bullshit. I never needed an exjw activist to help me wake up. I woke up mainly by reading the bible and history books in school. It was easy to see that you can't fit some 30-40 million animals into an ark that is only 1.5 million cubic feet. And you can't call the God of the bible a being of love when he murders 70,000 of his own loyal worshipers just because some King took a census and pissed him off.

I knew by the time I was around 13-15 that this religion was not for me and I needed to plan my escape and that I would lose all my family for leaving the WT. I left as soon as I turned 18. I lived in homeless shelters for a while until I could save enough money to rent a shitty apartment. I worked and went to school for the next 10 years and am now set for life.

This Loyd had no impact in my life. In fact no exjw activist has had an influence in my life. The most I do is read the experiences of young jws that are pimo and trying to leave their home and live their own life because it resonates with me and my experience.

As far a loyd is concerned, he really should be irrelevant as far as helping people wake up and leave the Watchtower. People can wake up on their own if they really want to.

People that don't wake up is because they don't want to wake up. The Child sex abuse in the WT organization is ENOUGH PROOF, to help anyone wake up.

That being said, no matter what you do, you will never wake up a Jehovah Witness that doesn't want to wake up.

I feel that if you want to donate money to help your fellow humans, why not donate to a real cause like St. Jude Research Hospital for children with cancer. Or Shriners Hospitals of Kids with Birth defects.

These two organizations are so much more worthy because you are helping children THAT WANT TO LIVE A BIT LONGER OR LIVE WITHOUT THE BIRTH DEFECT THEY INHERITED.

This children practically beg for help and they won't fight you till the end.

It's better than helping a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses that DON'T want to be helped to wake up and will FIGHT YOU ALL THE WAY to the end.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

He’s lost 40 Paretons in the past few days, 10 within the last 24 hours. Perhaps some are clinging on in order get one last private Zoom meeting with him (the perk he offers his Patreons) before removing support.

I guess he will probably try to struggle on with whatever is left at the end of all this. But will there be many who won’t refuse to work with him? How many victims of abuse won’t choose to avoid his channel and share their experiences elsewhere? What mainstream news services won’t look elsewhere for comments? How many ordinary exJWs won’t be embarrassed to send people to his videos in case they also find out the rest?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't understand why this man was such a big deal in the first place. ~ Pete

Most JW's do not join the ranks because the JW Doctrine had appeal to them. Most JW's do not even know nor or able to explain or defend JW Doctrine. They have been accustomed to having all the "research" on doctrine done for them by the GB/WTS.

It's when one of those JW's has someone poke a finger right in their eyeball that they begin to wake up to the "lack of love". HEY! Somebody poked me in the eyeball! That ain't nice!

Then they rush to Google to find some backup for the fact that they don't feel loved anymore. Well, wasn't THAT easy!!!! In the Top 10 one is sure to find Lloyd espousing his views of why WT is bad and hates you and reminds you that WT just poked their finger right into your eyeball.

Then Lloyd gives them what they are accustomed to getting -- spoon fed. They don't have to do any work. They don't have to actually research anything personally. GB/WTS BAD! They even poke people in eyeball!

And that's the Big Deal.

• Simon
    Simon

I think it's time for a re-evaluation for the exJW "community"

First, what does that word even mean? We're a diverse group of people with nothing at all in common other than we once belonged to a group who's membership believed they all had something in common.

But really, we don't, and never did.

People outside are the same inside, the same mix of good-eggs, rough diamonds, scallywags and toads. Use whatever euphemism for personalities as you want, all are there - good, bad, abusers, victims. People.

And of course people leave. At this point they either decide to go live their life or are still attached to the WTS.

Some decide that they are going to be the mighty one to finally topple-the-tower. But of course they won't, and never will.

Some decide that they need a constant diet of information reminding them that they are right to be on the outside (I often wonder if these people really fear they may be wrong, and long to return).

Some decide they they are over it but want to use their special knowledge and experience to help others to leave and to offer support.

All very different reasons and often personality types.

It takes a certain amount of 'drive' to make people want to do more than just move on, sometimes it can be healthy, other times not so much. I think a lot comes down to how much time you're spending and how much it takes over your life.

Personally, I think it's unhealthy to stay an activist exJW for too long. That doesn't mean everyone who does is mental, but some take it too far and it becomes your entire life. It's like any activism - when it acts as an impetus to assist others, it can be good and healthy, but when it becomes your entire life then it can be too much and unhealthy.

We've all seen cases where well known exJWs have, well, they've been notorious for being a bit unhinged. There are always those willing to applaud and support those "doing more", until the point they cross over a line and do something stupid, like pepper-spraying a couple of elderly JWs on the ministry. Then the "community" reflects and splits, because some want to go to war, total warfare, and the rest of us want to be part of the human race.

A particular risk is if we depend on the activism so much that we can't do without it. That is where Lloyd has ended up. He sees it as his job, a career. Does he really plan on doing this for the rest of his life? Who knows. He wasn't forced into it, it was his choice, but his behavior then impacts everyone else.

Well, maybe ... if you think you're part of one giant "community" they might.

Personally, I don't think there is one. There are some nice people, there are some not so nice people. I wouldn't want to be recognized as belonging to a group that contained unsavoury characters and does it make sense to identify with such a huge group with zero control of who does and doesn't belong or what they do?

I'm an exJW. It's simple an attribute that describes my past. It isn't membership of any group and I don't expected to support anyone in that group or commit to anything someone else in the group wants to do. The only "membership" I have is that I can voice support or criticism of anything someone in the group does, but then I can do that for anyone on the planet, so why do we imaging there really is any group? It's just people we've come across, due to our shared past.

My only hope is that people learn to be more critical. The same mix of people exist everywhere and that always includes bad-actors. The biggest danger is that people think they are the same, because they think they belong to some fictitious shared group, and they get suckered in and their standards eroded over time because they are addicted to being fed propaganda about the group itself being good, and the group they left being the enemy.

Time to move on people. The aim should always be to become an ex-exJW, or at least not get so involved in everything for such periods that it's effectively your life.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

No one is essential for creating more ex Jehovah's witnesses. Watchtower does a good enough job of that all on its own.

I think people are usually well on their way to waking up when they start watching you tube videos. Frankly most of Lloyds most ardent followers are youngsters who never trully believed it fully anyway, since they grew up with the internet.

Lloyd used to make some well thought out, excellent videos. But recently it's very obviously been about money and quantity rather than quality....such as those silly sushi videos. Quick 5 minute dopamine hits of "why I'm right"for exjws to make 'em feel better. Or people phoning in asking inane questions with equally inane and obvious answers.

The only change for me is I'm planning to make another EXJW Reddit sub but without it being controlled by his devotees - something I'd planned to do for a while. Just a genuinely open sub with minimal moderation and no one getting cancelled....even Lloyd!

I was getting sick of their constant interference. I also wondered why suddenly all the old mods disappeared and we got a bunch of new ones who'd only be subbed for a year or two. If anyone's interested let me know.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

I suppose the question should have been where do we go here as activists, we will be branded with the same colours as him and we will be alot less credible with him around, I believe anyone who into YouTube activism should publicly distance themselves from him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit