Will the GB Eventually "observe" Tithing?

by Sea Breeze 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I believe the Borg got spooked in around 1989-90 or so.

Away went the "profitable" business to a donation system.

I think the 1989 convention where they actually ''gave" the teenagers in attendance was just a trial run.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg as we knew it is dead.

Tithing is being brought in slowly.

Thats why they want all their "older" publications back or destroyed.

Because they failed.

• Person
    Person

From wol:

No, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not practice tithing; our work is financed by voluntary donations. What is a tithe, and why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses practice tithing?

The commandment to tithe, or contribute a tenth of one’s belongings, was part of the Law given to the ancient nation of Israel. However, the Bible makes it clear that this Law​—including the “commandment to collect tithes”​—does not apply to Christians.​—Hebrews 7:​5, 18; Colossians 2:​13, 14.

So how do you think they could go around this?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They'll introduce some kind of "mandatory donating" policy without actually calling it what it really is.

Same as the shunning policy.

They have an entire article talking against what ""shunning"" really is but they do exactly what "shunning" is.

I expect no different from some kind of donate arrangement.

They'll just skirt the topic,,make it sound like something else,,but actually do it. To make it sound less punitive or something.

• blondie
    blondie

In the past, the WTS used to have an article in the November issue of the study WT. The last time I can find was November 2017 p. 18-19. I don't know if they dropped this without saying anything about it. It was called charitable planning (retirement plans, estates, outright donations, conditional donation arrangement (donor can ask for it back), etc. It was timed for November, so jws would be encouraged to give in time for claiming for tax purposes that year. Some form of charitable giving, a brochure entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide has been prepared in English and Spanish. (I will put the link to that: https://donate.jw.org/ui/E/donate-home.html#/donate ) which is listed as discontinued in the Watchtower Online Library.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Blondie: "...conditional donation arrangement (donor can ask for it back)...It was timed for November, so jws would be encouraged to give in time for claiming for tax purposes that year".

Was this an outright tax rort? That a sum could be donated and a tax deduction claimed, and then the WT paid it back as though it were a loan?

• blondie
    blondie

No if it were conditional, it could not be reported to the government as legal as a tax deductivle. It would be called a loan, but not tax deductible.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I thought as much; I can't see any government providing such a large and exploitable loophole! 😱

Were these "conditional donations" a loan for a purpose, when they've got some project on?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The borg will implement "tithing"" with all the enforcements and practices of "tithing" without actually calling it such

They'll just sugar coat it and make it sound different.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    They'll just sugar coat it and make it sound different.

Exactly. Once you get their linguistic gift grift, it's east to predict what they will do. They play games with commonly understood definitions to deceive.

EX. - Lying isn't a sin if you are conducting spiritual warefare.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit