Will the GB Eventually "observe" Tithing?

by Sea Breeze 49 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We know of a family where all are now POMO, but as they were awakening to TTATT they first stopped reporting time. After the first couple of months, no more calls. Then they stopped attending meetings. Nothing. Then they ceased their monthly donation via the website. Calls started immediately. IS ANYTHING WRONG???????

That clinched it. They were outta there!

I cannot see them doing an "official" tithe, as the Mormons do. (And the Mormons check to confirm.) But, they have already instituted a "suggested" donation on a per publisher basis. That started long ago at Assembly Halls. If the assembly donations came up short of the "suggested" amount, the COBEs were informed and the Cong was to "donate" the balance due on a per head basis.

Now, it appears this average monthly "donation" per person has been implemented on each Cong. They hope that will be the MINIMUM donation for each Cong member (publisher?). Many will give more out of guilt or to show off. Now they will have a fixed contribution amount on which they can depend hitting their bank account every month.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Now, it appears this average monthly "donation" per person has been implemented on each Cong.

Actually, this arrangement has been around for a number of years. The amount is 'suggested', which means the local body decides to send more or less than that. For e.g. my congregation which has quite a lot of wealthy families sends four times that number, whereas in the neighboring city, a congregation sends just a quarter of that donation. Many JW's send contributions directly to the branch offices through the website.

One of my friends from Bethel says that there is no shortage of money pouring in as there are more than enough wealthy JW congregations and families to keep the organization floating.

Until the core membership is strong, the GB doesn't care how many PIMO JW's on the fence keep falling off. There's not much money that comes from the PIMOs either ways as most stop contributing and just prod along for their families.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

Earnest, wrote in reply to my earlier comment on that the ancient Jews did keep track on who paid tithes and how this was mentioned in the Talmud, stating:

The Talmud contains the oral traditions of the Pharisees from the Second Temple period. After the destruction of the temple in 70 it was only rabbinical Judaism that remained to reconstruct the religious system. If we rely on the Bible rather than rabbinical Judaism then there is no indication that the tithe was monitored.

First, I was not stating that the Jews were following the Talmud, but that the Talmud states and goes into detail that the Jews have always kept track of this via a system. A tractate is based on this system, I mentioned, and claiming that this tradition was preserved, it was written first in the Mishnah.

This got later transfered into the Talmud and became the tractate known as Ma'aserot.

Second, Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the Biblical record is historical, and that Solomon's Temple (and even Moses' Tabernacle) existed, including the tithing system of that era. But both history and the Jews say that Solomon's Temple is more legendary than history.

It was more of a shrine in competition during an era when the Hebrews were clearly worshipping various idol deities. Only after the Babylonian Exile did the cult of YHWH survive and did the tithing system to the kohens become the mainstay of Jewish religion at that point in history, with Ezra, a genuine historical figure, directing the rewriting of religious history making the creative changes to what people know today.

While this is not what Jehovah's Witnesses learn (and may be shocking to even some ex-JWs), it is what mainstream Christians read in their study Bibles and the basics you learn in Hebrew school.

So yes, the rabbis did kinda invent the tithing system, because the ancient Jews did not keep account of it in the "Biblical" days.

But in reality, there were no "Biblical" days. The stories before the return from Babylon are all legends, folklore, and myth. There is a bit of history, but most is colored by these type of stories. Think of it like American history, including tales of George Washington chopping the cherry tree down as a kid, Betsy Ross creating the first American flag, Paul Revere making his midnight ride and crying out, "The British are coming! The British are coming!"--all of which never happened in US history...just American myths.

But when the tithes started to get paid--yep, the Jews did indeed keep track of them.

If we rely on the Bible rather than rabbinical Judaism...

I'd be careful about that Bible you are relying on. A bunch of rabbis wrote and edited that thing too.

• blondie
    blondie

If the WTS can change the time reporting policy, they can introduce some form of individual tithing and just call it something else, and then say this "All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." Watchtower 2013 Nov 15 p.20

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I see what you are saying Blondie. The new program might be called:

Suggested

Individual

Contribution for the

Kingdom

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Freely

Remitted

And

Uncoerced

Donation

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    If the WTS can change the time reporting policy, they can introduce some form of individual tithing and just call it something else

I'm with Blondie on this one. When (not if, but when) they need to do so, they will start an obligatory donation. They'll spin it somehow and call it something else, but it will be a tithe in practice.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    NotFormer - “…Any attempt to make good, saleable movies is going to collide with their own history and their own rules.”

I’ve long felt that they should adapt the Revelation Climax book.

It’d make Left Behind seem quaint by comparison.

😁

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"I’ve long felt that they should adapt the Revelation Climax book.

It’d make Left Behind seem quaint by comparison"

Vidiot, I'd totally go to see that! If we were on the same continent, I'd shout you your popcorn! 😁👍

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

dropoffyourkeylee: "I'm with Blondie on this one. When (not if, but when) they need to do so, they will start an obligatory donation. They'll spin it somehow and call it something else, but it will be a tithe in practice"

Could they get away with something as blatant as an entry fee to the Sunday meeting at the door? $3 per person per week would equate to about the monthly amount that they currently want per head.

The ticket seller at the door would be a whole new "privilege" they could dangle before the hungry hordes. 🙄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit