Did You Ever Tell An Elder Off??? How Did It Feel???

by minimus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Fearnotruth----are you STILL under the elders' authority? You sure sound like it!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    NEVER, EVER. Because a jwi is under its authority.Even a fellow elder. Right or wrong is not the isssue but whether an elder a cop a teacher an emplyer a parent or anyone having authority should be traeted with respect not because such may deserve respect but for my values. Telling an elder off even if I feel he deserves it, is not the proper thing to do. Of course when an elder acts inapropriately, he looses respect.But one should not stoop to a low level telling him off.

Right or wrong is most certainly the issue. Reminding someone of their place is not "stooping to a low level" when they try to exert authority where they in fact HAVE NONE! Elders telling people what kind of vehicle to drive, whether or not they can have facial hair, whether or not they can go to school, is not an exercise of authority. It is ABUSE! And they ought to be reminded of their place. Abusers deserve no respect.

Walter

• fran
    fran

The role of the Elders,

Oh deary me.step outside for a moment and see what is really going on.talk to victims of abuse,And all the Elders being arrested?and all the Elders being demoted?I am sorry but you must wake up to the facts,While The elders are to b respected in your eyes,they must not abuse,sadly today more and more Elders are being exposed for their evil deeds.Spiritual shephards they are not!

I could bend your ear with what i know ,but you would not beleive me.

Fran

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

reminding someone repectfully is not the same as "telling him off."

you are mistaken.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

A role does not change becuase an individual or body fails to fulfill it.

Assisiting people should be the role of elders whether they perform their duties or not or abuse their position is another issue.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Just as anyone living in the USA is under the authority of the US government whether such individual recognizes us gov authority or not, so too every jw is under the authority of the elders having jurisdiction over them whether thr jw recoghnizes it or not. Proof of that uthority is df and shuniing. Like it or no,t fact is elders in fact have and excercize authority over jws who accept or reject their authority.

• John Vybiral
    John Vybiral

Yes, did I ever ! ! !

In 1968, I was 18 years old, and facing the military draft. I applied for deferment on the grounds that I was a "Minister of Jehovah",

which I truly was at the time. The Selective Service, a.k.a. "the draft board", called me in for a personal "cross-examination".

Our Congregation Overbeer, a guy named Ken, offered to go with me, to testify that I was, in fact, an active minister. He never

showed up. I was "interviewed" extensively, by twelve unifomed members of different armed services, who wanted to know why

I could not at least perform civilian duty to the country that guaranteed my religious freedom. It didn't go well. My application for

deferment was denied. Shortly thereafter, facing certain imprisonment at the Allenwood (PA) Federal Penitentiary, I decided I had better

things to do with my remaining freedom than spending it going out in service, Theocratic Ministry School, mind-numbing meetings,

etc.. This prompted a "sheparding visit" from Ken and his identical twin brother, Ken. I let them both have it. My JW wife, whom I

met during the construction of a Klingon Hall (where we later got married) was hysterical during this show-down. I never regretted

getting out of that sick cult.

• minimus
    minimus

WELCOME JOHN!!!!.......Sometimes, Fear22, it's not a sin to tell someone off, even an elder!.....They do not represent God. They are no different than any of us.....Fear, don't be afraid. You too----can tell an elder off.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Minimus, I won't reply to nonsense, hence I will say nothing about your last remark.

• minimus
    minimus

I do understand why some are reticent to "disrespect" an elder..Even THAT doesn't sound right. You're not supposed to talk abusively to the elders, because, well----they're the elders. "Elders" implies age and experience. You're supposed to treat your elders with respect. So, I can appreciate why it is difficult to ever think of "telling an elder off". Remember, though, Paul "told " Peter off. It's not always wrong to do. Sometimes it's necessary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit