Let's Talk Horror Movies

by LoveUniHateExams 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thanks, Blondie.

I think NOTLD was in black and white simply because it's a very low budget film and B&W is cheaper than colour. But I think it could be to the film's advantage, giving it a grainy quality that you don't often get with today's highly-polished movies.

Here are my fav horror movies in no particular order ...

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

The Thing (1982)

Alien (1979)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

The Fly (1986)

The Shining (1980)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

The Exorcist (1974)

Jaws (1975)

• blondie
    blondie

I saw the original The Thing, where Jim Arness played the monster.

None of the Freddy movies

Alien saw a few scenes over the years, still not ready to see it

The Fly (the original--David Hedison; remake, Jeff Goldblum)

The Shining--still gives me the creeps (Stephen King is king of that)

Jaws (all of them) still can't swim in the ocean, I had a shark rub up against my lower leg in shallow water just up to my knee, it scraped me like sandpaper and made me bleed!

None of the others; Hitchcock's The Birds still makes me wary of flocks of birds

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I haven't seen the original The Thing, but I love the John Carpenter remake.

The Freddy films are mostly crap, except for the original and New Nightmare (1994). Those two are very good, and well worth a watch.

The Fly remake is fantastic. Goldblum and Davis deserved Oscars, IMO. I haven't seen the original film but it's supposed to be good.

• blondie
    blondie

David Hedison is most known for being second in command of the submarine, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (you have to be really old to have seen that)

• TD
    TD

LUHE

I saw it [The Exorcist] two years ago and it creeped me out a bit

Horror seems to a subjective thing, but I guess that's what you would expect of something that plays on our primal fears and superstitions.

The final episode of the Briitish series, The Prisoner scared the living daylights out of me at the time and I still don't really understand why. (The scene where Number 1 is unmasked)

--It's not even horror

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

the conjuring had some spooky parts

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Zombie girl here!

Train to Busan is brilliant! ( Korean film) Night of the living dead ( of course)

I also love the old film Nosferatu and Nosferatu the Vampyre

And Halloween. Got to love Jamie!!

oooo forgot to say the original Stephen Kings The Mist and The Vanishing ( the original Dutch one) is probably my all time favourite

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

We watched The Bad Seed last week.

"The Bad Seed is a 1956 American psychological horror-thriller film with elements of melodrama and film noir, directed by Mervyn LeRoy and starring Nancy Kelly, Patty McCormack, Henry Jones, and Eileen Heckart."

The B&W video had very good quality despite its age.

Excellent performances by all, even Jesse White, "the Maytag Repairman" -- the loneliest guy in town.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Horror seems to a subjective thing - yeah, I agree. As I've said before, the only two films that have really creeped me out are The Exorcist (1973) and Hereditary (2018). I think me coming from a JW background has something to do with this.

And Halloween. Got to love Jamie!! - yeah, it's very good. And Jamie does pretty good, considering it was a very early movie role for her (her first?). The thing about Halloween (1978) is that it could have been a very average movie. But what makes it stand out for me are two things: first, Donald Pleasance's performance as Dr Loomis was very good. Second, and even more important, John Carpenter directed the shit out of that movie.

Michael Myers in the background or foreground, that scene where Laurie is crying in the house across the street, next to a dark open door and Myers's white face mask slowly appears in the doorway - fantastic!

The film has aged a little bit but it's still very good.

Here's another 10 movies I love, again in no particular order:

Hereditary (2018)

Psycho (1960)

Carrie (1976)

Halloween (1978)

Near Dark (1987)

New Nightmare (1994)

Fright Night (1985)

Misery (1990)

Black Christmas (1974)

The Witch (2016)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Alien saw a few scenes over the years, still not ready to see it - it's a fantastic movie.

I can't recommend it enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJRvZ72fLs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit