Let's Talk Horror Movies

by LoveUniHateExams 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Horror is easily my favourite genre of movie so I just thought I'd start a thread on it.

Horror can be done badly and there are plenty of crap horror movies, no doubt about that.

But horror can also be done very well, too - often on a low budget.

Plus, there are quite a lot of subgenres - slasher, supernatural, monster movies, body horror, psychological horror, zombie, vampire, etc.

So, do you like horror?

What's your favourite subgenre?

What are you favourite films?

• Simon
    Simon

The movies I find scariest are more suspense than horror. Things like "The Others" where "wait, she shut that door - how is it ajar?" and the suspense builds through lots of little things.

A lot fo horror is now just gory effects and is more shocking than scary.

That there are so many supernatural themed movies and series shows how strong a story concept it is and maybe why religion has such a hold on people.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The movies I find scariest are more suspense than horror - yeah, I generally prefer suspense over outright gore.

There's a saying "less is more" and this applies to horror films and to movie villains in general.

Jaws (1975) is good partly because the shark is hardly ever seen.

But body horror movies often ignore this rule. Think the chest burster scene in Alien (1979) or the transformation scenes in The Thing (1982) or pretty much the whole movie in The Fly (1986).

That there are so many supernatural themed movies and series shows how strong a story concept it is and maybe why religion has such a hold on people - the two horror films that genuinely disturb me and creep me out are The Exorcist (1973) and Hereditary (2018). They are both supernatural horror and I, although secular and atheist, have a JW background. I don't think this is a coincidence.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

In my book, Psycho is definitely king when it comes to suspense thriller/horror, using suggestive filmography instead of outright gore.

The Shining is a good mix of suspense with a bit of gore, but not overly done.

Have you seen the Skeleton key? I'm not usually into supernatural thrillers, but man that's a good movie!

M Night Shyamalans, Signs is a pretty good suspense movie

So, I really prefer suspense when it comes to Horror movies.

Great post topic, btw!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In my book, Psycho is definitely king when it comes to suspense thriller/horror, using suggestive filmography instead of outright gore - yeah Psycho (1960) is very good. It still holds up well, 60 years later.

The Shining is a good mix of suspense with a bit of gore, but not overly done - yeah, The Shining (1980) is also very good. I like the atmosphere the film has (suspense, or maybe dread). The cinematography is very good, and so is the acting. Apparently, Stanley Kubrick was a bit of a perfectionist. He made Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall to take after take after take of nearly every scene.

I haven't seen M Night Shyamalans, Signs or Skeleton Key. Maybe I should check those out.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Favorite Vampire Movie?

Mine would be split between Interview with the Vampire (really my favorite)

And Bram Stokers, Dracula.

Neither of which I would say fall into the "Horror" genre, but are great movie monster, vampire movies.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Salems Lot petrified me as a kid, as did The Martian Chronicles

• compound complex
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

My favourite vampire movie? ... hmm, that's a good question.

I've always loved Fright Night (1985). My dad bought me it on VHS when I was 11 (wayyy back in 1990), and even then I thought Jerry Dandrige was the business - so smooth and dangerous. I still like it, but I'd have to say my fav vampire movie is Near Dark (1987). It's so original. And Bill Paxton as Severen! XD

Interview with the Vampire (1994) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) are pretty good, too, as is The Lost Boys (1987).

Severen (Bill Paxton) - XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGEohBPuEOE

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Oh yah... cant forget Lost boys! I haven't seen any of the others you listed. I'll have to check them out. As you can tell my tastes are pretty secular. Have you seen Dracula untold?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit