Let's Talk Horror Movies

by LoveUniHateExams 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I really enjoyed Get Out. Anybody plan on seeing Us? - I haven't seen either but they're supposed to be good.

Hereditary was good - yes, I agree. I saw it alone at night and it creeped me out a bit. Two scenes I found disturbing (spoilers):

1. the mom, Annie, chased her son into the attic and was upside-down, banging her head on the attic door. That was creepy AF. Just as she starts chasing him, there's a musical sting that partly covers her growl. So, you hear the musical sting and the growl at the same time.

2. Annie hanging in mid-air, beheading herself. That was disturbing.

I watched The Exorcist (1973) a few years ago and found it dated, hokey and almost laughable - I saw it two years ago and it creeped me out a bit.

I'm not actually sure just how many horror movies I have in my Blu-ray library - I have 99 movies on DVD (not Blu-Ray). And about 55 of them are horror.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Goodnight Mom...psychological horror...very tense...I love horror films like that...

Found footage possession films are great too.

The greatest horrors are what humans can do to one another not aliens or monsters. I guess that is the point of The Walking Dead.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Get out is actually very good.

Zing

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Goodnight Mom...psychological horror...very tense...I love horror films like that - yes, I like psychological horror.

I view The Silence of the Lambs (1991) as psychological horror and that film is fantastic!

I think Rosemary's Baby (1968) is also primarily psychological horror and it is also very good - it's over 50 years old and it has aged very well.

Found footage possession films are great too - I have only seen one of these - The Blair Witch Project (1999). I thought it was ok but it didn't blow me away, so I haven't bothered with other found footage horror films.

Another subgenre of horror that I'm not big on is zombie films. I've seen 28 Days Later (2002), that was pretty good. I've also seen The Evil Dead (1981) and Shaun of the Dead (2004) - do they count as zombie films? XD

I haven't seen any of Romero's Dead trilogy ... that's pretty lame of me! XD

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Yes, the walking dead's true horror is what humans can do to each other, and how easily we can devolve. I quit watching it a few seasons ago as it started becoming repetitive and overly hoaky to me. But I really enjoyed the first few seasons.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Along with Get Out (2017), another film I've put on my to see list is Peeping Tom (1960). Has anyone seen this, and if so, would you recommend it?

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Along Came A Spider,

Brawl in Cell 99

The Game

Zing

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

CoCo yes I loved "The Thing" from another world original and also its remake by Carpenter ?

the clip you provided doesnt work here in OZ sad to say.

How about " Lord of The Flies"

Their was another one that scared the bejeesus out of me when i was a kid that had to do with a severed hand that came up and choked the guy even after he tried to throw it in the fire . About the 1950`s?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just want to say that I've never seen any of George A. Romero's movies.

I'm thinking of trying to look for Night of the Living Dead (1968) at the second hand shop.

What films of his have you seen and would recommend?

• blondie
    blondie

I don't like current zombie movies or tv shows. I did see NOTLD around 1971. Scared the crap out of me (the others don't). It is in black and white but the movie does not suffer because of it. Go for it, on a dark night with the lights off, by yourself.

PS I might add that my non-jw father dragged me and my brothers to every horror film of the 1960's at drive-in movie theaters, some with triple features. It was hard to sleep after and get up for the Sunday morning next day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit